Jerry West!!! Why don't we rehire him? please jog my memory
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject:

ChickenBeckerman wrote:
Quote:

Maybe my reading comprehension is off, but where in those articles does it say anything close to those headlines (which you made up).

Those events are not uncommon knowledge.

Was going by memory of those events as they happened and just posted whatever the first link i could find to confirm the dates.

I definitely remember all the talk before and after Mark Jackson's firing and how it pointed at him trying to ban Jerry West from his practices.

4/30/14 Mark Jackson reported saying that he doesn't want Jerry West at practices.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2046483-report-mark-jackson-doesnt-want-jerry-west-attending-team-activities

6 days later he's fired.

https://www.si.com/nba/point-forward/2014/05/06/mark-jackson-fired-golden-state-warriors-joe-lacob

I do remember all the talk beforehand that Jerry West believed they hit a ceiling with Mark Jackson and something needed to change.

I remember the anti-gay thing (pretty much a death sentence in that locale) and his personality dispute with a socially liberal ownership mostly. I guess West could have publicly gone to bat for him (Van Gundy actually made an on-air plea), although that would seem inappropriate to me for a consultant.
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Because no one care about them old timers anymore. Not to be disrespectful but the millennial players nowadays don’t give a rats ass about someone played in the league almost 50 years ago. This is why the Magic Pelinka hire was awesome, both them know how to get today’s players attention, what really drives them. Certainly not the respect for history I can tell you this. Same principle apply for Phil Jackson, that’s why he’s unemployed.

Kevin Durant laughs in your face
Roc Nation loves Jerry
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
These guys acting like Bob Meyers wasn't there.
Jerry West did great things.
Let him ride off into the sunset with that in your minds.
We don't need him now though.

Just sayin. Bob Myers greenlighted Klay Thompson to be traded for KLove. Also, It wasn't Myers who made the late night phone call that lead to Durant choosing GSW.

Agree that he is a good GM though and that we are in good hands with Magic Palinka.
That said, I'd MUCH rather have Jerry West on board at some capacity in his true home franchise with the Lakers than having to go against him advising the damn clippers!!! ugghhhh....

Last edited by ChickenBeckerman on Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject:

OLLIE-BOY wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
Magic didn't want him.

Thats what I read but I was wondering why. Don't they have a great relationship? Or has Jerry fell off as far as having an eye for talent?

I really think it just comes down to too many opinions. Truth is, West has always gotten himself into situations where he is like an extra opinion, and even though he is full of great ideas, it makes it harder to reach a consensus. The more people in on a decision, the more ideas will have to be dealt with. West has pretty much always worn out his welcome too, for whatever that is worth. I think he is a pretty intense guy and needs respect. Not really sure.

I think Magic and Rob have a pretty good background together, both come from very different places and come to conclusions in very different manors. They have a pretty solid staff, who seem good at evaluating talent. Not sure they need to throw another wrench into their toolbox.

There is no disrespect meant towards West. If there was any problem with West from within the organization, I would think it comes from Jeannie rather than Magic or Rob, afterall, West was the one who had problems with her and Phil. I am sure that situation bothered Jeannie a bit at the time. Whether she ever got over it or not, who knows. However, she seems like she wants loyalty and if she doesn't have it, she won't hesitate to rid herself of that person. (See Kupchak).
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
Because, Like Phil Jackson, the game has passed him by. Look at what’s happened in his time with the Clippers, went from a borderline championship team to a team that next season will be a bottom 5 team with no assets to build around. Hard pass.

Not exactly West's fault and now will be the time for West to shine on the Clippers.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Too many cooks in the kitchen
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
OLLIE-BOY wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
Magic didn't want him.

Thats what I read but I was wondering why. Don't they have a great relationship? Or has Jerry fell off as far as having an eye for talent?

I really think it just comes down to too many opinions. Truth is, West has always gotten himself into situations where he is like an extra opinion, and even though he is full of great ideas, it makes it harder to reach a consensus. The more people in on a decision, the more ideas will have to be dealt with. West has pretty much always worn out his welcome too, for whatever that is worth. I think he is a pretty intense guy and needs respect. Not really sure.

I think Magic and Rob have a pretty good background together, both come from very different places and come to conclusions in very different manors. They have a pretty solid staff, who seem good at evaluating talent. Not sure they need to throw another wrench into their toolbox.

There is no disrespect meant towards West. If there was any problem with West from within the organization, I would think it comes from Jeannie rather than Magic or Rob, afterall, West was the one who had problems with her and Phil. I am sure that situation bothered Jeannie a bit at the time. Whether she ever got over it or not, who knows. However, she seems like she wants loyalty and if she doesn't have it, she won't hesitate to rid herself of that person. (See Kupchak).

good points. fair enough.
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
Because, Like Phil Jackson, the game has passed him by. Look at what’s happened in his time with the Clippers, went from a borderline championship team to a team that next season will be a bottom 5 team with no assets to build around. Hard pass.

Not exactly West's fault and now will be the time for West to shine on the Clippers.

yep. Not West's fault at all.
Killakobe81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
The Grizzlies? Where r they now? The Warriors? They were already title contenders before he arrived, he was more of a figurative person in GS front office.

Now the truth laughs at you. (Hint, the Warriors weren’t contenders when he arrived).

West was a consultant not the primary decision maker for the GSW. He was adamant about not trading Klay for Kevin Love and also helped sweet talk KD. The first thing was probably his biggest contribution to the Warriors. His insisted that Klay not be traded or he would leave... Their front office was split so as great move by West...
The dumpfrire that the Grizz turned in to his more on Mr. PER John Hollinger who used to bash Kobe constantly... His analytics sure didn't help him build a great team... But even before West left Grizz wee good not great...

WEST hasn't been the "Logo", in forever tbh
StoicChalice392
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject:

We had Ryan.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject:

The only thing worse than being wrong is being ARROGANTLY wrong.

Shout out to everyone defending the honor of probably the most important Laker in my lifetime, maybe ever.

Shame on you ignorant, half-witted, arrogant, dismissive posters who besmudge Mr. West for nothing more than being old.

Crazy that I called my wife overly emotional and reactionary and implied that a lot of women are the same way, and many on this board went apespit, but multiple dudes can come here disrespecting the great Jerry West because of his age and the level of acrimony is not nearly the same (IMO).

Again, shout out to the dudes on here chin-checking these twats who are talking out of there ass.

My apologies. I despise people who are wrong and despise people who are arrogant, so this is a perfect/imperfect storm for me. Carry on and I’ll remove myself from this spitshow.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject:

kawhileonard wrote:
Jerry West is the greatest Laker ever.

Disagree but he's certainly the greatest basketball executive ever.
Dumhead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
Too many cooks in the kitchen

I think this is the reason more than anything. No need to take shots. He hasn't had a perfect record as an executive and consultant. But he has certainly been better than most. And he has earned the respect of the league, from ownership to execs to players.
OLLIE-BOY
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject:

I think it would be an advantage to have him on as an advisor especially now since they're making a major overhaul to the team and had all this $$ to play with.
kawhileonard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
kawhileonard wrote:
Jerry West is the greatest Laker ever.

Disagree but he's certainly the greatest basketball executive ever.

Thats why he's the greatest Laker.

Executive + player + LOGO
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
WEST hasn't been the "Logo", in forever tbh

in your own post he sweet talked KD to signing with GSW. KD said the same. This was literally only 2 seasons ago and brought em 2 titles.

I guess forever is 2 years. lol

Some of the staunchest Warrior fans I know give Jerry West the credit he deserves for that franchise.
Unfathomable how some supposed Laker fans can't do the same.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Why are we talking about the guy who we didn't get when the guys who we did get are doing amazing?

numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
2019 wrote:
Why are we talking about the guy who we didn't get when the guys who we did get are doing amazing?

Cause it's been a few months since this topic was beat to death and the OP needs his memory refreshed.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Under California Labor Code Section 3700, Companies offering Workers Compensation Insurance aren't required to provide coverage for workers over the age of 80 but all employers are required to carry Workers Compensation coverage for all employees regardless of age. Since the market for hyper-aged Workers Comp Insurance is so small, no Insurers choose to compete in that Market Segment. California Labor Code Section 3351 defines who is an employee, and therefore who can be covered under a workers’ compensation policy. As such, Jerry West is essentially no longer employable in California as a 1041 worker.

The Onion Calm Down, It's Clearly a Joke
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
JamezAmp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Love Jerry West

Magic got LeBron

Enough said.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject:

West is a better executive than he was a player (and he was one of the all time greats as a player, so that’s saying something) but some of you are being spectacularly unfair to Bob Myers. West was no doubt an important voice in the room, but he was a consultant and Myers was the GM.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
So we can overpay for Avery Bradley?

And lose Paul, trade Griffin, lose Jordan, yeah Jerry's advice is assuring the Clippers of a high Lottery pick the next few seasons...!

Those were good moves imo. They need to reset.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject:

A great front office should try to bring in everyone that can have positive impact to the team. Signing West has no negative influence unless they were worried West would take away their credit.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Here's a refresher:
Quote:
“To me, basketball was the love of my life. It still is. I loved the Lakers, okay?” West told Patrick (as transcribed by Mark Medina of the L.A. Daily News). “Obviously I wish everyone well. My son works there. I’m very proud that he works there. Sometimes I thought in my life that might be something that I can revisit, or they would want me to revisit. But that didn’t happen.

“At times, I would say I was disappointed, but it kind of sent me a message. They wanted to go elsewhere, which is fine,” West continued. “But to say I wouldn’t have liked to end my career there, that wouldn’t necessarily be true either.”

Quote:
He left the Lakers amid dysfunction with Phil Jackson that has been credited to the former head coach’s relationship with Jeanie Buss making him “uncomfortable,” (which could potentially be a reason Buss wouldn’t want to bring him back) and helped rebuild the Memphis Grizzlies.

Quote:
That being said, it’s also at least somewhat understandable if a new front office still establishing its own voice wouldn’t want to bring a presence that large into the room as they try to implement their process and build their own credibility down the league. There is a reason the phrase “too many cooks in the kitchen” exists.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2017/6/1/15725428/la-lakers-jerry-west-reunion-dan-patrick-golden-state-warriors-jeanie-buss-phil-jackson-shaq-kobe
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Apparently you are unaware of what happens when a bunch of massive egos collide.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: