Home Theater Thread (Speakers, Display, Configuration, Atmos, Amps, etc.)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Home Theater Thread (Speakers, Display, Configuration, Atmos, Amps, etc.)

I would like to know what kind of setup my brothers and sisters on LG have in their home theater, and how happy they are with it. What is the primary use for your system? Movie watching? Music? Gaming? Channel surfing? Sports?

Four years ago I began researching a beginners setup for a HT after I bought a new TV. My search started off by looking into a home theater in a box, then it evolved into a full blown passion. Needless to say, it can be a very expensive hobby. I enjoy researching products and how it would tie in to what I already have. While keeping future upgrades in mind.

Currently I'm looking into Dolby Atmos. Truth be told, that was the planned endgame when I first caught the bug. Now I feel like I'm finally ready to make the final stroke. I'm wondering if anyone here has an Atmos setup, what gear are you using, and how do you like it?

Right now I have a 7:1 system. (7 speakers, 1 subwoofer)

Receiver - Marantz SR7011
Towers - Polk Monitor 70
Center Channel - Polk CSiA6
Surround Sides - Polk RTiA3
Surround Rears - Polk FXiA6
Subwoofer - SVS PC13 Ultra

Looking to go with 7:1:4 (in-ceiling) after Atmos.

Again, share your entertainment specs, wants and desires lol.

Lastly, these new OLED TV's are I need to get my hands on one of those.

Last edited by Legacy on Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject:

I'd avoid Atmos until there's enough content that supports it. If you got $ to burn go for it, but I'm a huge bang/buck guy with my purchases.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject:

I've always been more of a car audio guy than home theater. But that set-up seems sweet.

All I have is a cheap little Philips soundbar + sub I picked up as an open box item at Target for like $50. I only really use it for sports or "movie-night".

It does have a bluetooth function so once in a while I will sync my phone and play some music when I'm on the computer or something.

I'm not really ever home enough to justify spending more than a hundred bucks on something like that. I felt strange spending almost $400 on my tv last year.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:
I've always been more of a car audio guy than home theater. But that set-up seems sweet.

All I have is a cheap little Philips soundbar + sub I picked up as an open box item at Target for like $50. I only really use it for sports or "movie-night".

It does have a bluetooth function so once in a while I will sync my phone and play some music when I'm on the computer or something.

I'm not really ever home enough to justify spending more than a hundred bucks on something like that. I felt strange spending almost $400 on my tv last year.

I used to do my own installations back in the day but the game has changed so much. Any recommendations on an installer?
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject:

I have an older LG OLED, which is not as awesome as the current batch (including Sony OLEDs) and a couple weeks ago bought the latest LG 4K player (w/Atmos).

Next, I need my AVR to be Atmos comparable so within the next 60 days I plan to get the Yamaha A780 (# could be off slightly) which is Atmos compatible (and sells for around $650).

I am running a 5.1 system, with NHT speakers and big ole Powered Sub. It sure what other speakers I may need to add, but I might use the AVR to power some outdoor speakers.

Bottom line is I am not quite there yet, but I am heading in that direction.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:

I used to do my own installations back in the day but the game has changed so much. Any recommendations on an installer?

Same here. I haven't been able to find anyone nearby that I trrust.

I have an amp I want to add... But want to KEEP my factory HU. Otherwise I lose my Steering wheels control ans rearview cam. So its tricky. If I find one Ill let you know.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject:

Bower & Wilkens never fail. My setup is an older one. Denon receiver. Mostly for music and movies. Bought most of it second hand though.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Theater Thread (Speakers, Display, Configuration, Atmos, Amps, etc.)

Legacy wrote:
I would like to know what kind of setup my brothers and sisters on LG have in their home theater, and how happy they are with it. What is the primary use for your system? Movie watching? Music? Gaming? Channel surfing? Sports?

Four years ago I began researching a beginners setup for a HT after I bought a new TV. My search started off by looking into a home theater in a box, then it evolved into a full blown passion. Needless to say, it can be a very expensive hobby. I enjoy researching products and how it would tie in to what I already have. While keeping future upgrades in mind.

Currently I'm looking into Dolby Atmos. Truth be told, that was the planned endgame when I first caught the bug. Now I feel like I'm finally ready to make the final stroke. I'm wondering if anyone here has an Atmos setup, what gear are you using, and how do you like it?

Right now I have a 7:1 system. (7 speakers, 1 subwoofer)

Receiver - Marantz SR7011
Towers - Polk Monitor 70
Center Channel - Polk CSiA6
Surround Sides - Polk RTiA3
Surround Rears - Polk FXiA6
Subwoofer - SVS PC13 Ultra

Looking to go with 7:1:4 (in-ceiling) after Atmos.

Again, share your entertainment specs, wants and desires lol.

Lastly, these new OLED TV's are I need to get my hands on one of those.

Sounds like a pretty sweet setup. I almost bought a 7005, then a 7006, then a 7007, then a 7008, then a 7009, but never could pull the trigger. I'm up in the old fart range and can hear only up to about 8K, and even that, several db down, so I ended up being practical and purchased a Pioneer VSX-1131--with so many different sound processing options that it drives me nuts. I have a very simple 5.2 setup with Vifa 6.5" and Vifa domes built into the the walls, with two Monoprice 12" subs. Good enough. The Monoprice subs are surprisingly decent for < $100.

(Let me add, that when I received my receiver I could not get the menu to appear. I worked the better part of a day trying every freeking configuration I could think of. The next day I called Pioneer, and the tech, with his engineer by his side, ran me through much of what I had already done. I was about ready to pack her up, and a new idea popped into my head. Even though my TV was working with two other HDMI inputs, I thought, let's unplug the TV (reboot) and see what happens. Yep, the menu found its way home and onto my screen.)
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:28 am    Post subject:

Regretfully, I have been diagnosed with home theater syndrome.

I'm putting together my first system and I haven't stopped thinking about components since the day after Christmas. Was going to get a soundbar but then a friend talked me out of it and came with me to the Fry's demo room and I've been ill ever since. I wwant to go 7.1 but it's damned expensive. Also, I don't know how the hell I'd wire the rear speakers in a way that wouldn't make my living room look tacky. I read a bunch of buying guides and I've sickened that much more.

helppp
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject:

I also got pulled back in to the hi-fi world this past holiday season as there were some good sales on budget hi-fi gear and I recently moved into a place with space to accommodate a system. I only do 2-channel for music listening, but I've got the sickness pretty bad right now.

It went quickly from "I'll just buy this $60 pair of bookshelf speakers from Fry's" (Pioneer Andrew Jones designed SP-BS22-LR) to "How can I pull together $650 to buy these KEF speakers?"

Researching on the internet just makes you want things you cannot afford.

I quickly upgraded from the Pioneer BS22 to the Sony Core SS-CS5 bookshelf speakers for $80 on sale and they are really good, especially for the price. Sony is not known for speakers, but they really got these right.

I totally recommend these speakers to anyone who wants to get into entry-level hi-fi sound (at low to moderate volume levels) with the caveat that it doesn't have a lot of bass (they are small bookshelves after all). But the mids are sweet and the high end is really extended and clear without sounding sterile or too analytical. Soundstage is also very wide and imaging is good. Pair them with a sub if you want bass.

Review:

I can't really justify spending much more to get the KEFs when the Sonys are so good for their low price. But dang, the KEF speakers are sexy af:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81E9LmzFMlL._SL1500_.jpg
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject:

My advice to all looking for a home theater system or just a quality sound system, and I've been around the block a bit here, don't waste your money on fancy speaker cables or other cables that is said to cure molds, colds, sore a-holes and make child birth a wonder. Generally, what matters is resistance (and every wire is just some blend of resistance, capacitance and inductance), and the way you achieve low resistance with heavier gauge wire. Get some generic 12 gauge wire speaker wire and you will be fine. I remember going through this with a good friend of mine, and sometime after the discussion, we took the back off his speaker to see the typical 18 gauge wire internally from the crossover to the individual speakers within. I asked him if his million dollar speaker wire is so beneficial, why didn't his $8000 speakers use it internally.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject:

is it possible to get a decent sounding wireless 2.1 setup where the 2 satellite speakers connect wirelessly to the receiver... all for no more than like $100?
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
is it possible to get a decent sounding wireless 2.1 setup where the 2 satellite speakers connect wirelessly to the receiver... all for no more than like $100?

Are you sure you don't want it to make espresso as well for that price?

Yes, you ask for a lot. I can't speak for these from experience, but this might just be the best you can do if you want decent sound.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-mk402bt-powered-bluetooth-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-pair-with-35mm-aux-in--300-458

You still need a sub however. https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090602&p_id=8248&seq=1&format=2

But you're at about $160

There is this:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33002

and this:

https://www.parts-express.com/boytone-bt-3685f-21-hi-fi-speaker-system-with-bluetooth-and-sd-aux-usb--238-110

and these:

https://beebom.com/best-2-1-speakers/

that meet your price criteria.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: