LiAngelo Ball Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Lakers set to workout LiAngelo Ball. Where will he end up playing next season?
Lakers
6%
 6%  [ 9 ]
Another NBA team
3%
 3%  [ 5 ]
South Bay Lakers (G-League)
36%
 36%  [ 48 ]
Europe
29%
 29%  [ 39 ]
Drew League
24%
 24%  [ 32 ]
Total Votes : 133

dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
https://mobile.twitter.com/Ballislife/status/1001469239457333248

Is he fat? Blurry, but he's looking lean.

It might just be that he shaved his beard but his face looked much slimmer to me yesterday. I hope it’s not looking that way for the wrong reasons.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject:

so word is hes really no taller than about 6'3. Thats like the 6th nail in the coffin for his NBA chances.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
so word is hes really no taller than about 6'3. Thats like the 6th nail in the coffin for his NBA chances.

He’s not 6’3. I saw him in person a few years ago and he was taller than that then. Writers are piling on him cause it gets clicks. With that said, he’s nowhere near an NBA player right now anyways.
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject:

dude shoulda focused on football instead..
WestwoodWizard
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Putting him on the G-League team would be a mistake IMO. As soon as the Lakers went through any minor hiccup during the regular season Lavar would turn into a massive distraction, talking about how LiAngelo would be the savior we so desperately need. Hard pass.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

He’s not 6’3. I saw him in person a few years ago and he was taller than that then. Writers are piling on him cause it gets clicks. With that said, he’s nowhere near an NBA player right now anyways.

in the pictures, he clearly appears to be 2-3" shorter than Lonzo (listed @ 6'6") and about 1-2" taller than Jaylen Adams (listed @ 6'2").....I cannot confirm an of those heights, but something does not make sense.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject:

He is what, a backup SG? I don't see him competing with Josh Hart anytime soon. I think he probably needs 2 years of sumer league and g-league to get ready. But I guess you never know, with injuries and/or Hart gets shipped out to get rid of Deng, maybe there is a chance. But he doesn't look NBA ready, really could have done with a couple more years of college.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
LiAngelo Ball not getting drafted is at -550 on Bovada

https://twitter.com/T1m_NBA/status/1001897307674161153
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Why should a bottom tier prospect be able to be a 1-done and hit the Gleague? Go work on your body fatboy over in Europe for a few years
i see you remember the high school gelo. he aint really gelo anymore. he aint fat at all. he's just a big dude playing sg/sf. bigger than most. his built more like his dad than his mom. zo and lamelo are built more like their mom.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

in the pictures, he clearly appears to be 2-3" shorter than Lonzo (listed @ 6'6") and about 1-2" taller than Jaylen Adams (listed @ 6'2").....I cannot confirm an of those heights, but something does not make sense.

gelo is 6'5 and thats as far as i'm going with that height. just looking at him next to other guys. i dont see 6'6 either. i'm seeing a big guy at 6'5. so it may look taller to some since most 6'5 guys in the nba or in college are super thin.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject:

WestwoodWizard wrote:
Putting him on the G-League team would be a mistake IMO. As soon as the Lakers went through any minor hiccup during the regular season Lavar would turn into a massive distraction, talking about how LiAngelo would be the savior we so desperately need. Hard pass.

Exactly what I was thinking. Surprised by these poll results. There should've been an option for "other g-league team". That was the option I was looking for.

We need to force Lavar to divide his attention. Let him harass some other team that Gelo plays for. Then he'll be fighting a war on 3 fronts, one for each of his sons. Divide and conquer this mad man.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
He is what, a backup SG? I don't see him competing with Josh Hart anytime soon. I think he probably needs 2 years of sumer league and g-league to get ready. But I guess you never know, with injuries and/or Hart gets shipped out to get rid of Deng, maybe there is a chance. But he doesn't look NBA ready, really could have done with a couple more years of college.
more college for a player like him would not make him look any better to the eye test. he's just not that athletic, but he knows how to score the ball and he knows how to use his strength that he has over pretty much everyone at the SG spot. and he can shoot well. he would do better playing in the g league for a couple of seasons than see where it takes him. but again, he's good enough to be on the edge of some teams bench not getting much pt if any at all.

I lot of People probably thought andre ingram wasnt a nba player, well we just saw that aint true. he at least deserves a 15th man spot on a nba roster. remember no one picked him up in the nba for YEARS.

the guy can shoot well and can score well. has always been a shooter. you can't tell me he can't come off a screen and hit a couple of jumpers or back some thing sg down to get an And 1.
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Report: Lakers to pass on LiAngelo Ball

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-lakers-pass-liangelo-ball-185407325--spt.html
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:

Good. We don't want that L.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:

It really doesn't make sense for the Lakers to put him on their g-league team unless he's significantly more promising than another candidate.

All things being equal, you'd rather not have the Ball-family headaches that come with him.

But that's his double-edged sword: The Ball-family thing is the only reason he's getting attention in the first place, but it also makes him less desirable than someone without that spotlight.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:

It really doesn't make sense for the Lakers to put him on their g-league team unless he's significantly more promising than another candidate.

All things being equal, you'd rather not have the Ball-family headaches that come with him.

But that's his double-edged sword: The Ball-family thing is the only reason he's getting attention in the first place, but it also makes him less desirable than someone without that spotlight.
wrong.

the guy lead california in scoring 1 year ago. that is the reason he's getting a look. the kid can play basketball at a high level. now can he play at the highest level? ehhhh we dont know about that yet.

you guys keep trying to disrespect him as if he didnt have his own legit resume as a high school standout in basketball. he's only 1 year removed from chino hills.

the problem with gelo is that he doesnt LOOK like much. meaning, with his actual on the court abilities playing 5 v 5 in real games. he's a very good basketball player. but in a workout, in some type of drill setup. i would pass up on him every single time. because he's not a super quick guy, he's not fast, he doesnt jump the highest, he can shoot well but not a can't miss guy in practice drills. So this to me is why he will probably fall short in getting a team to bite this year.

He's going to have to play in the G league or the real high level euro league to get in and he's going to have to be the same Gelo he's always been in those leagues. meaning he scores a lot of points and makes his 3's.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:58 am    Post subject:

I agree with activeverb. We have even sometimes seen all star players being shipped out for causing drama.

The thing going for Lonzo is that he has generally kept quiet and stayed out of the fmily drama.

Liangelo is in the midst of a lot of drama, the latest being him leaving his current basketball team early.

The lakers should pass, even if Liangelo has 1st round draft talent. It's just not worth the headache.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:

wrong.

the guy lead california in scoring 1 year ago. that is the reason he's getting a look. the kid can play basketball at a high level. now can he play at the highest level? ehhhh we dont know about that yet.

you guys keep trying to disrespect him as if he didnt have his own legit resume as a high school standout in basketball. he's only 1 year removed from chino hills.

the problem with gelo is that he doesnt LOOK like much. meaning, with his actual on the court abilities playing 5 v 5 in real games. he's a very good basketball player. but in a workout, in some type of drill setup. i would pass up on him every single time. because he's not a super quick guy, he's not fast, he doesnt jump the highest, he can shoot well but not a can't miss guy in practice drills. So this to me is why he will probably fall short in getting a team to bite this year.

He's going to have to play in the G league or the real high level euro league to get in and he's going to have to be the same Gelo he's always been in those leagues. meaning he scores a lot of points and makes his 3's.

He really isn’t. Poor feel for the game, poor shot selection, not very athletic, and can’t handle the ball. There’s a role for him in the NBA but he’s not close to being good enough to fill it yet. Could he become a bench 3-D guy in a few years? Sure, but he’s not there yet. Not even close.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:

That's good to hear. I could well see them giving him a G-League deal to mollify Lonzo and/or the Ball family. That would have been a big mistake.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:

wrong.

well you cant just throw that out there that he was the leading california scoring without including the huge disclaimer that his dad basically controlled that team and made sure he got as many shots as possible
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject:

been multiple media outlets reporting that the Lakers have no plans on even offering LiAngelo a Summer League spot....and just listened to Kamenetzky Brothers podcast where they humorously suggested there is zero chance LiAngelo has any role with the organization after the workout.

I am fine with this....and actually think it is the wise approach to take. I think the evidence is overwhelming that LiAngelo is not a NBA prospect or even near G League level. All that being said, I open my CBS Sports app, and 3 of the first 15 stories are headlined summarizing the LiAngelo Ball will not play for LA Lakers or SB Lakers....3 different aggregations all by different CBS Sports "writers".....and that I have issue with as it is starting to feel like many in the media are kind of piling on or dancing on LiAngelo's "NBA grave".

In the end....just a kid with a dream that he is probably not talented enough to accomplish....just like many of us on LG that dreamed of being a famous athlete or star. Nothing about that should really draw sympathy (real world), but it definitely should not bring out pseudo celebrations.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:

wrong.

He really isn’t. Poor feel for the game, poor shot selection, not very athletic, and can’t handle the ball. There’s a role for him in the NBA but he’s not close to being good enough to fill it yet. Could he become a bench 3-D guy in a few years? Sure, but he’s not there yet. Not even close.
lol at bench 3 and d guy. do you know how many guys are on the edge of the bench that can't play bothsides? most of them are like that. they are either decent defenders with no offensive skill thats consistent, or they are good shooters but can't dribble, can't pass well, can't defend well. but if you leave them open they are money.

they have the opposite guys as well. they can't shoot but if you let them run in a straight line, they may jump over your head and dunk it.

you can't say someone doesnt have a feel for the game who used to average 30+ points in high school. 1 year prior. that makes no sense. and it's not like he was only doing that vs middle school talent.

I would just like people to stop completely underrating his abilities on the court because of his pops. anyone with eyes knows he isnt athletic enough, especially for defense. anyone with eyes knows his game isnt pretty. but if you have eyes and pay attention. you can tell he has an ability to put the ball in the basket by any means necessary.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:46 am    Post subject:

I'm guessing it must suck living in the shadow of his two brothers and his dad. Probably just wind up stealing stuff just for the attention.

On the Lakers end, if they are seriously passing on him already it could mean that he isn't good enough, it could be a message to his dad, or a combination of both.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:26 am    Post subject:

LiAngelo may have to head back overseas to hone his basketball skills. He had a decent stint with Prienu Vytautas in Lithuania. Other than that his career options as a professional basketball player are very limited especially with LaVar tagging along.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject:

A second stint in China...and keep the sticky fingers to yourself...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: