Clippers closing in on privately funded arena in Inglewood (3-25-20 Clippers buy the Forum)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
goldenarmor wrote:
digcom99 wrote:
goldenarmor wrote:
Dodgers, Ducks, and Angels all need new facilities too.

I wonder if they will consider Inglewood.

Why do the Dodgers need a new facility? Dodger Stadium is still a great place for baseball.

It's just what I've read over the years.

No offense to Dodgers fans but their stadium is horrible, worst stadium I have ever been to. Way out dated compared to anything out West.

Most stadiums are in downtowns now. The problem with moving the Dodgers to downtown would be securing a big enough lot where it would be convenient for the fans and nowhere close to skid row where you can get mugged. The problem with Dodger stadium is and was the transportation infrastructure. Everyone in LA drives no matter how much city leaders tell us to take the light rail or public transportation. Maybe if there was some sort of light rail connecting the stadium to the rest of LA it would relieve the congestion but considering how the roads leading up to the ravine are like 2 lanes, I don't see any space to implement something like that.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I always wanted the Lakers to buy and renovate the Forum and go back home.

They would pretty much have to do what they are doing to the Key Arena for that to happen. Which is dig a bigger hole in the ground and leave the facade of the arena untouched. The problem is that you are restricted by the current dimensions of the arena. I'm sure with current NBA amenities, they want something that provides a lot of fan comfort and the Forum was built for when Americans were much slimmer...

Yeah, they'd have to blow it up and start all over again. Enterprise II, Forum II

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
danzag wrote:
He should go to Vegas. I've always had sympathy for the Sonics, specially during the 90s, wouldn't like to hate them

Considering Las Vegas already has a brand new arena that would be much easier than moving to Seattle....
Now the NBA just has to swallow its pride about disassociating with gambling.

After seeing how hard they tried to get the Raiders, I’m sure the politicians in Vegas would love to have the Clippers move here. But I live in Vegas and want them to stay away.

The Clippers will continue to be a distant 2nd to the Lakers in LA. That means 2 more home games for the Lakers each year with more potential home games in the playoffs.

I was so disappointed we didn’t see a Lakers-Clippers series in 2006. It would have been a much tougher series if the Clippers were in Seattle with a real home court edge. An LA vs. LA series would give the Lakers home games with every game.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
danzag wrote:
He should go to Vegas. I've always had sympathy for the Sonics, specially during the 90s, wouldn't like to hate them

Considering Las Vegas already has a brand new arena that would be much easier than moving to Seattle....

After seeing how hard they tried to get the Raiders, I’m sure the politicians in Vegas would love to have the Clippers move here. But I live in Vegas and want them to stay away.

The Clippers will continue to be a distant 2nd to the Lakers in LA. That means 2 more home games for the Lakers each year with more potential home games in the playoffs.

I was so disappointed we didn’t see a Lakers-Clippers series in 2006. It would have been a much tougher series if the Clippers were in Seattle with a real home court edge. An LA vs. LA series would give the Lakers home games with every game.

Would the other owners - especially small market ones - be in favour of a move? The league ownership has to approve for any relocation, correct? One of ways small market owners can equalize their financial disadvantage is by having multiple franchises in a big market location. Eats into the profit margins and somewhat levels the playing field.

I know if I were someone like Michael Jordan/Dan Gilbert, I would absolutely be against the Clippers moving to Seattle or Las Vegas. Laughable as they are, the Clippers still do take money away from the Lakers. Imagine the TV deals etc, the Lakers would get if they were the only game in town!
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:26 am    Post subject:

I was surprised to read that Clipper floor seats are MORE expensive than Laker floor seats...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8301740/inglewood-mayor-butts-azoff-msg-entertainments-sham-lawsuit
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
danzag wrote:

Would the other owners - especially small market ones - be in favour of a move? The league ownership has to approve for any relocation, correct? One of ways small market owners can equalize their financial disadvantage is by having multiple franchises in a big market location. Eats into the profit margins and somewhat levels the playing field.

I know if I were someone like Michael Jordan/Dan Gilbert, I would absolutely be against the Clippers moving to Seattle or Las Vegas. Laughable as they are, the Clippers still do take money away from the Lakers. Imagine the TV deals etc, the Lakers would get if they were the only game in town!

You have it in reverse. The Clippers can make more money as the second team in LA than they could as the top team in a smaller city.

I doubt the Clippers leaving town would impact the Lakers revenues much.

And what levels the playing field is the CBA; it restricts how much a team like the Lakers can spend. If our revenues tripled, we still couldn't spend anymore on players than we do now.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
I was surprised to read that Clipper floor seats are MORE expensive than Laker floor seats...

My guess would be that that is because most of the Lakers floor seat owners have been so for a long time and are genuine fans - the Jacks, Norm Patitzs, Dyan Cannons etc. versus the cooperate owners who dove in when the Clippers moved out of the s-hole that was the Sports Arena. It's a lot easier to jack up the prices year after year to those kind of seat-holders than it is to people who have been your fans for years and are "friends" to a guy like Old Doc Buss. And I also see Sterling being much more inclined to do so than Buss.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8301740/inglewood-mayor-butts-azoff-msg-entertainments-sham-lawsuit

Vote out the mayor Inglewood. Msg entertainment has laker fans interest in heart
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Vote out the mayor Inglewood. Msg entertainment has laker fans interest in heart

My guess is the residents aren't too keen on another facility being built since they already have the new Inglewood stadium and the Forum already in place.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
This would be a dream come true if they hadn't landed in Inglewood, of all places.

Even if they aren't literally tearing down the Forum, opening a state-of-the-art arena literally down the street can't help the Forum's chances to operate as successfully as it has since MSG restored it. It sure is a beautiful concert venue these days.

Why do the Clippers always feel like a gnat that just can't get out of the Lakers' faces?

They love our sloppy seconds. Disgusting, mang.

If we're talking upgrades, take that statue that's supposedly of Magic and have the makers of the recent ones do his. That statue is atrocious. I don't remember him being a rain forest frog with an expanding throat. Why he has that is beyond me. Looks like he's 60 yrs old, too. Couldn't suck more.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:

I'll always have love for the Ravine, but after going some other stadiums, Dodger Stadium lacks a lot.

It's a nightmare to get in and out of, there's no good public transportation to get there and there's nothing around it.

ATT park in SF, Fenway in Boston and, obviously, Wrigley are great. The atmosphere in the bars and restaurants around the park before the game is insane. At Dodger stadium, you drive, park, go to your seat, then get a $15 beer. That's probably why most fans aren't in their seats until the 3rd inning!

With such huge parking lots, I wish they'd build stuff there (bars, restaurants etc). But with McCourt owning those lots and the fact they'd be basically empty from November - March likely means that'll never happen.

That's an interesting point. But until something can be done about getting in and out of there, while the idea of being able to pregame at bars and restaurants located in the lot, would probably just add to the logjam. They've upped their pavillion game quite a bit and have brought some more modern food/beer choices to the stadium but the bathroom situation is crap still. Which is rough for me. I just keep my drink consumption low. haha.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject:

I swear I wish the clippers would just GO AWAY.

they are not the lakers "little" brother. they are the Obnoxious neighbor next door that no one likes.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
This would be a dream come true if they hadn't landed in Inglewood, of all places.

Even if they aren't literally tearing down the Forum, opening a state-of-the-art arena literally down the street can't help the Forum's chances to operate as successfully as it has since MSG restored it. It sure is a beautiful concert venue these days.

Why do the Clippers always feel like a gnat that just can't get out of the Lakers' faces?

They love our sloppy seconds. Disgusting, mang.

If we're talking upgrades, take that statue that's supposedly of Magic and have the makers of the recent ones do his. That statue is atrocious. I don't remember him being a rain forest frog with an expanding throat. Why he has that is beyond me. Looks like he's 60 yrs old, too. Couldn't suck more.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA Literally cracked up laughing out loud at work hahahah thanks NPZ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Well ..... bye.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject:

LA Lakers
South Bay Lakers
Inglewood Clippers

Hierarchy look pretty clear (although Inglewood Clips sounds kinda gangsta-ish)
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:12 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Vanquish wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
danzag wrote:

You have it in reverse. The Clippers can make more money as the second team in LA than they could as the top team in a smaller city.

I doubt the Clippers leaving town would impact the Lakers revenues much.

And what levels the playing field is the CBA; it restricts how much a team like the Lakers can spend. If our revenues tripled, we still couldn't spend anymore on players than we do now.

If our revenues tripled, it would be super useful for going deep into luxury tax territory though. I think that is the flaw with the current CBA. In a way it punishes small market teams with the luxury tax even though that's not its intent.

Luxury tax might force a small market team to trade away a promising young core, just too expensive to keep together. Sort of negates all the good work a team would have done through their draft selections. But if a team was making Knicks/Yankees levels of revenue, just write the cheque to the NBA and be done with it

For me personally, I think a team should be able to deduct salary from the tax if it signs big deals with player that they had drafted or have been with them a long time. I think a lot of fans would like to see a team keep players they have drafted, hopefully - like Kobe - for their entire careers.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:

If our revenues tripled, it would be super useful for going deep into luxury tax territory though. I think that is the flaw with the current CBA. In a way it punishes small market teams with the luxury tax even though that's not its intent.

Luxury tax might force a small market team to trade away a promising young core, just too expensive to keep together. Sort of negates all the good work a team would have done through their draft selections. But if a team was making Knicks/Yankees levels of revenue, just write the cheque to the NBA and be done with it

For me personally, I think a team should be able to deduct salary from the tax if it signs big deals with player that they had drafted or have been with them a long time. I think a lot of fans would like to see a team keep players they have drafted, hopefully - like Kobe - for their entire careers.

I'm not sure there is a strong correlation between market size and a team's willingness to pay the luxury tax.

And I'm also not sure that a willingness to spend wily-nilly will translate into success (see the Knicks).

And really, while fans like the concept of stars staying on their team for a long time, I am not sure that stars and players moving around is detrimental to the league as a whole.

Ultimately, the league can put mechanisms in place that make it morw advantangeous to the player to stay, like slightly higher raises, but the days when the league could hold players captive on a team are long gone.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject:

I always wondered why the just don't move down behind the Orange Curtain and become the Los Angeles Clippers of Anaheim.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
I always wondered why the just don't move down behind the Orange Curtain and become the Los Angeles Clippers of Anaheim.

DTS moved the Clippers to LA because he wanted to be able to commute from his office in Beverly Hills. Ballmer probably wants to keep them in the LA area because he has this wierd idea that they can take over LA. I know the management at the Anaheim Pond always wanted to get an NBA team to play in the arena if you look at how they tried to get the Kings to move down to Anaheim before they got their new arena. I know they tried to get the Clippers to move down to the Pond in the 90's before the Staples Center was built, but the Clippers probably felt like playing 2nd fiddle in a brand new arena was better.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The Lakers and Clippers share an arena in Los Angeles, which – as everyone understands it – means the Clippers play in the Lakers’ arena.

That doesn’t sit well with Clippers owner Steve Ballmer. So, he wants to get a new arena built just for the Clippers in Inglewood.

And cost, legal red tape and lawsuits aren’t going to stop him.

“We’re moving to Inglewood come hell or high water,” he [Ballmer] said of a proposed arena near the site of the stadium being constructed for the Rams and Chargers. “We gotta have a house. So we’re working on a plan to get our own house. We want to get our own house. It turns out the way this works in L.A., which is much beloved to me, that if you start now you might be done in six years.”

Ballmer is probably used to getting what he wants. I doubt he backs down here. It should be noted some of the legal and public relations push back on the plans comes from funding via the Madison Square Garden group (owned by Knicks’ owner James Dolan), which five years ago sank $100 million into the Lakers’ old home the Forum to refurbish it into a major concert venue. The new Clippers building would be just a couple blocks away from the Forum.

This also at least partially explains why the Clippers insist on remaining competitive. Local politicians are less likely to greenlight a new arena for a tanking team.

Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Clippers shouldn’t move to Inglewood as they are a lot of long time Laker fans who still live there and used to go to the forum, they need to move to Seattle.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Well thats one hurdle that might be out of the way.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28818084/clippers-owner-steve-ballmer-advanced-negotiations-buy-forum-msg-sources-say
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:46 am    Post subject:

Don't go away mad.

Just go away.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

David Aldridge
@davidaldridgedc
·
1h
Clippers announce that owner Steve Ballmer and vice chairman Dennis Wong have formed an LLC (CAPSS) to purchase The Forum in Inglewood, and will keep it as a concert venue:
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: