Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 340, 341, 342  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Great series guys. Y'all made us earn it.

I went to G5 and am beyond elated. Post Harvey, this is so good for the city. 22 years since the last title.

Thank God, Thank God, Thank God.

go away.

dont worry.. he will be back to defend his rockets come playoff time, and then i'll dominate him once again.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject:

F$# Houston, non sports tradition rich cities like Houston, Cleveland don't deserve any type of champions.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
F$# Houston, non sports tradition rich cities like Houston, Cleveland don't deserve any type of champions.

That's a bit much to say they don't deserve any type of champions. Cleveland has rabid loyal fans. It's not their fault their basketball owner is a douchebag, their football is inept, and their baseball team has had bad luck. They don't support hockey enough in Columbus to make a blip. I normally would say the same for Houston, but giving a standing ovation to Gurriel and a bunch of racist Houston fans continuing the racist gesture negated any goodwill they should receive from anyone.

Last edited by LAkers 4 Life on Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Forget Houston, they were just trying to win like we were. I just don't understand why Darvish started game 7, after he was eaten alive by Houston in the previous game.
pkflyers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Forget Houston, they were just trying to win like we were. I just don't understand why Darvish started game 7, after he was eaten alive by Houston in the previous game.

Thats what I don't understand

I can accept losing, but not going out like that. Dont understand why he was left in for as long as he was. You cant go down 0-5 in a game 7 and expect to win

Big Game James wrote:
I'm Kwame Brown and every one of my posts seem to be moved. I find this perplexing because I've never had a post move before!

http://tinyurl.com/snxt
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
That was one of the worst game 7 performances I have seen in a championship game in any sport. Darvish Yu with one of the ultimate choke jobs

No doubt. This game is up there with all of those Game 7 losses to the Celtics in L.A. infamy. Darvish pulled a Lebron James in the biggest game of his life. I won't say he singlehandely lost the game, since Bellinger, Seager and Turner were bad too, but I can't think of any athlete in a major team sport in this city who has ever choked worse than he did yesterday.

Last edited by slavavov on Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Bellinger choked really badly. Striking out a bunch of times is one thing, but that error in the first inning was inexcusable and set the tone for what was to come. If felt like watching the start of a nightmare. He usually is so good defensively so an error from him was really surprising. He probably panicked when he made that throw.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
srm90 wrote:
I would almost prefer not to be in the playoffs every year and have to deal with these disappointments year after year after year.

Kershaw damaged his reputation greatly now after Game 5. We are known as the chokers of the league at this point. I'm just sick of it. I would've preferred to have not made it to the series than have gone out with a whimper in Game 7.

But sure enough I'll be back for more punishment next year.

I thought about this many times. It seems way more enjoyable and less stressful when your team sucks. Usually, you're watching your young stars/prospects develop and get better. Playoffs are stress free.

The 2010 and 2011 Dodger teams were so much fun even though we sucked. Ethier and Kemp were beasts and had all those walk offs. Dee Gordon emerged as the most exciting baserunner and Kershaw finally developed into the best pitcher in baseball and won 20 games. Tickets were cheap so I went often and since we werent a playoff team their weren't bandwagon fans in the stands.

The heartache of all of those NLCS and NLDS losses right before and after those years sucked so bad. I will never forget. Especially when the Lakers and Dodgers blew Finals and NLCS game 4's in the same year.

I think having a promising team fall just short of the playoffs can hurt just as much. I wasn’t a fan back then but Dodger fans in 91 must have had their hearts broken after the team was in first all year and Atlanta surprised everyone by coming back to win the division. Back then being in first put you in the NLCS and up against the Pittsburgh Pirates and Barry Bonds who always choked in the playoffs.

I remember the 97 Dodgers finishing in 2nd to the Giants after being picked by almost everyone to run away with the division. They were up 2 games on the Giants on September 17, lost two really tight games in San Francisco, lost the next 3 games, and finished 2 games behind the Giants. To have a team that close and not even make the playoffs is infuriating.

Nothing tops this year however because this team was so close.
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject:

This was way way way more devastating than any of the recent postseason failures. Sure it was nice to be within one win and all that and experience a World Series, but the fact that we easily could've won this series, in fact easily could've won Game 7 if we just get 3 or 4 hits with RISP, that is such a rough pill to swallow. I rather would've been swept honestly, at least they wouldn't have gotten my hopes up.

Never have I had more of a sense that we had a true shot to win it all than this year. I felt it at the very beginning of 2015 with god-tier Kersh and Greinke that season, but the Mets took it to us that first round and crushed that feeling. But since we exited the first round that one didn't hurt nearly as bad. The only other time that even compares is the 2013 NLCS with a white hot Hanley Ramirez, but once he got plunked in the ribs that pretty much sealed our fate right there. The team was never the same after that.

And for all that to come crashing down in a World Series Game 7 at home leaving a million runners on base, absolutely devastating.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Video of Darvish tipping pitches below.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/yu-darvish-tipping-pitches-world-series-loss-2017-11

When Beltran was asked after the game about this, wow at his reaction.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jeffpearlman/status/925962740971192321?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforumserver.twoplustwo.com%2F46%2Fsporting-events%2Fmlb-world-series-2017-astros-vs-dodgers-1693455%2Findex80.html
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject:

I was hoping for the Dodgers to win but I suspected it wasn't going to happen for so many reasons.

There's no guarantee the Dodgers will get back there either.
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
I was hoping for the Dodgers to win but I suspected it wasn't going to happen for so many reasons.

There's no guarantee the Dodgers will get back there either.

thats the sad part because we dont know who's coming in/going, if we change any staff members, front office management, what the new lineup will be, how fast the team will gel..

Me personally, I dont expect too many changes, but i do trust Friedman and co to get the right players over free agency as they did at the trade deadline during winter meetings. However, we will see, if i were to say now that they'll return to the WS i would flat out say Yes, but cant say at this point, will they be the 2014 Spurs, maybe? im hoping so

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
2020 WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS!
2020 WORLD CHAMPION DODGERS!
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/yu-darvish-tipping-pitches-world-series-loss-2017-11

https://mobile.twitter.com/jeffpearlman/status/925962740971192321?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforumserver.twoplustwo.com%2F46%2Fsporting-events%2Fmlb-world-series-2017-astros-vs-dodgers-1693455%2Findex80.html

Can't believe the pitching coaches didn't recognize what he was doing....thats 9 free runs the Astros got.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject:

I know nothing about baseball, but just curious as to why they started Darvish and not Kershaw.

I thought Kershaw was the #1 so why wouldnt you go with that instead of the newly acquired guy?

It's like the season we acquired Gasol, I'd want Kobe taking that last shot, not Pau.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:37 am    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Has parity hit MLB? Last year a team that hasn’t won in over 100 years wins and this year one who has never won.

That's a good question. There's always gonna be big market clubs that spend more than other clubs, but it looks to me more like player talent and especially development has increased tremendously.

Baseball has had an inherent issue for years that they picked up on, it's that due to the nature of the contract phases, players are paid for how they've performed in the past, rather than how they will perform in the future, they're also often paying the back end of these absurdly long term free agent contracts for performance at the front end.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
I know nothing about baseball, but just curious as to why they started Darvish and not Kershaw.

I thought Kershaw was the #1 so why wouldnt you go with that instead of the newly acquired guy?

It's like the season we acquired Gasol, I'd want Kobe taking that last shot, not Pau.

Starting pitchers need rest between games, generally a 4 starter rotation at this point of the season. Kershaw started games 1 and 5, Wood 2 and 6, Darvish 3 and 7.
jdm43390
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject:

srm90 wrote:
I would almost prefer not to be in the playoffs every year and have to deal with these disappointments year after year after year.

Kershaw damaged his reputation greatly now after Game 5. We are known as the chokers of the league at this point. I'm just sick of it. I would've preferred to have not made it to the series than have gone out with a whimper in Game 7.

But sure enough I'll be back for more punishment next year.

Absolutely agree...I mean wtf was the point of clinching home field throughout the playoffs if you're just gonna lay a stinker?
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

Can't believe the pitching coaches didn't recognize what he was doing....thats 9 free runs the Astros got.

So even if your eye isn’t as keen as an opposing MLB hitter, coach or manager, it was obvious to almost everyone (but Roberts and Doyer staff) after Game 2 that Houston had Darvish’s number. Sometimes, the simplest answer goes overlooked.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

I can already visualize the "Houston Strong" 30-for-30 documentary that will chronicle this World Series.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject:

Geez... this World Series will certainly be remembered for people offending others. Keith Hernandez apologized for making a homophobic joke about San Francisco, even though he's from there.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/keith-hernandez-apologizes-for-homophobic-joke-on-world-series-pregame-show/
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

I guess it was about rest, but Kershaw ended up pitching the most innings anyways... If Kershaw had started the tone for the game would've been much different.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject:

That game 2 loss hurts the most; it was mostly self-inflicted.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject:

We basically gave away all 4 wins to Houston:

Game 2: pulled our starter and asked too much from bullpen/closer. Blows save to go up 2-0.

Game 3: Darvish sucks/tips pitches, Dave refuses to take him out before things get out of hand.

Game 5: Kershaw chokes 2 separate leads away, a total of 7 runs.

Game 7: Dave decides to do the same thing as game 3, Darvish is even worse.

No wonder Houston was so confident about game 7 - aside from being a great offensive team already - they were facing a guy that they knew every pitch he was going to throw.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

Game 2: pulled our starter and asked too much from bullpen/closer. Blows save to go up 2-0.

Game 3: Darvish sucks/tips pitches, Dave refuses to take him out before things get out of hand.

No wonder Houston was so confident about game 7 - aside from being a great offensive team already - they were facing a guy that they knew every pitch he was going to throw.

Dodgers made too many mistakes and it cost them the title. I thought they were way too happy after game 6 which was a bad sign.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Dodgers made too many mistakes and it cost them the title. I thought they were way too happy after game 6 which was a bad sign.

Yes they did, not sure if it was the big stage or just bad timing but the team (managing included) made far too many.

When Kenley was saying that the Astros had no shot in game 7 and it got back to the Astros players I thought it was a bad sign.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 340, 341, 342  Next
Page 341 of 342
Jump to: