2017 Dodgers Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 340, 341, 342  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: 2017 Dodgers Thread

rwongega started the 2016 thread and I'm sure he has a few ideas for the FO for next year...
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject:

In all seriousness, we're not going to be able to address starting pitching through free agency, so what are our options besides hoping Urias and DeLeon take the next step?

Do we re-sign Hill to a short-term incentive-laden contract?

Trade for Greinke (if AZ eats some salary)?

Ryu is probably done. Shoulder injuries are usually career-ending and he looks shot.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Where's do I sign up for the "Sign Shohei Otani you blundering FO idiots!" petition?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Wish list.
A dependable #2 pitcher
A reliever if Jansen isn't back.
Some players who can hit a damn in the postseason.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject:

Dream scenario:

1) Keep Jansen/Turner
2) Make max bid for Otani
3) Acquire Stanton/Longoria (keeping with ex-Marlin/Rays theme)
4) Bid adieu to Baez, McCarthy, Anderson, Ryu

Nightmare scenario:

1) Lose either Jansen/Turner (or heavens forbid, both!)
2) Yanks acquire Otani
3) Get Hellickson
4) Keep all injured starters.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject:

This FO will:

Re-sign Hill to a 6 year $61 million deal

Trade for Greinke by including Urias and DeLeon as well as sign Tim Lincecum...oh no wait, that's dumbass Kobe-ReLoaded's idea.

Re-sign Brett Anderson to same deal as Brandon McCarthy so they can spend time together on the DL.

Sign Jeremy Hellickson to a 6 year $130 million deal.

Re-sign Joe Blanton, Jesse Chavez, and Josh Reddick to long term deals

Sign Andrew Bailey to replace Kenley Jansen, Eric O'Flaherty because we need a lefty ex-NL East pitcher. (bonus played for Oakland!), James Russell to be our next Joe Blanton.

Since this team needs more outfielders and a left handed bat, signs Matt Joyce to 3 year deal.

As Justin Turner was a Colletti signing, don't bother negotiating and replace him with a cheaper Kelly Johnson who is a former Ray in true Moneyball fashion.

Continue finding ways to dump Roberts and elevate Gabe Kepler.

While I kid, the scary thing is this is actually a potential scenario (minus the Urias case because only a moron would actually do that).

Really though, I'd ask for this FO to be castrated but they have no balls.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB

Last edited by rwongega on Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
Dream scenario:

1) Keep Jansen/Turner
2) Make max bid for Otani
3) Acquire Stanton/Longoria (keeping with ex-Marlin/Rays theme)
4) Bid adieu to Baez, McCarthy, Anderson, Ryu

Nightmare scenario:

1) Lose either Jansen/Turner (or heavens forbid, both!)
2) Yanks acquire Otani
3) Get Hellickson
4) Keep all injured starters.

Your nightmare scenario is actually the most plausible one with this FO.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject:

They need to stop wasting money signing guys like McCarthy, Kazmir, and Anderson. All that money has been thrown down the drain because these guys are not dependable at all with their injury history. Why the front office continues to sign and depend on these guys is mind boggling. If you take all those contracts it could easily give you enough to spend on somebody like Cueto, who they apparently didn't even make an offer to last offseason. Not impressed with the so called "brainiacs" in the front office.

Last edited by Shaolin's Finest on Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject:

If we are going to keep Puig, somebody get him a sports psychologist......doesn't make sense how somebody can go from a hitting machine to a damn scrub in a short period of time.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
If we are going to keep Puig, somebody get him a sports psychologist......doesn't make sense how somebody can go from a hitting machine to a damn scrub in a short period of time.

At least he'll keep base-runners honest with his arm. I've learned to give up on him offensively, FO needs to build the lineup with Puig in the bottom third of the order. Get some productive bats elsewhere. I'd leave out Joc if it means acquiring another all-star caliber outfielder.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject:

need more consistent hitting!
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
This FO will:

Trade for Greinke by including Urias and DeLeon as well as sign Tim Lincecum...oh no wait, that's dumbass Kobe-ReLoaded's idea.

Re-sign Brett Anderson to same deal as Brandon McCarthy so they can spend time together on the DL.

Sign Andrew Bailey to replace Kenley Jansen, Eric O'Flaherty because we need a lefty ex-NL East pitcher. (bonus played for Oakland!), James Russell to be our next Joe Blanton.

Since this team needs more outfielders and a left handed bat, signs Matt Joyce to 3 year deal.

As Justin Turner was a Colletti signing, don't bother negotiating and replace him with a cheaper Kelly Johnson who is a former Ray in true Moneyball fashion.

While I kid, the scary thing is this is actually a potential scenario (minus the Urias case because only a moron would actually do that).

How about we leave out the personal attacks?
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Shaolin's Finest wrote:
They need to stop wasting money signing guys like McCarthy, Kazmir, and Anderson. All that money has been thrown down the drain because these guys are not dependable at all with their injury history. Why the front office continues to sign and depend on these guys is mind boggling. If you take all those contracts it could easily give you enough to spend on somebody like Cueto, who they apparently didn't even make an offer to last offseason. Not impressed with the so called "brainiacs" in the front office.

Well, they're ex-A's and Ray's. That's why they're signing and depending on them.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
rwongega wrote:
This FO will:

rwongega may have been a little harsh, but Kobe-ReLoaded had literally the worst trade proposal of all time last year and he continually brought it up. It was the equivalent of trading 2005 Kobe (and prospects) for a 1980's former all-star. It made Pedro for Delino DeShields look like a good deal. He deserves the ridicule.

We'll try to keep this thread clear of personal attacks though boss. BTW thank you for killing the trolls in the 2016 thread in the last couple days. Appreciate it.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

The Dodgers have done really well in the division and now have the right manager in place.

The problem is there are holes all over the roster. Front office is interesting, the results generally are pretty good as far as winning our division but a lot of thing would have to break right to win a world series.

Cubs lineup far more dangerous 1-8 than ours and they have much better starting pitching. Luckily they will probably lose half their team if they win the world series.
Kobewood
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:33 am    Post subject:

This FO will be absolutely dead to me if they let Jansen walk after he held Cubs hitters to a .050 BA. He's the only player that actually elevated his performance in the playoffs.

Not re-signing Greinke looks like less of a mistake only in hindsight, but I doubt he would've regressed so dramatically had he stayed with us. That was a total slap in the face at the time, and letting Jansen go would be a knockout punch.

Thank you Kobe for giving 20 years of yourself to the Purple and Gold. We are forever indebted to your greatness.

#WIN4VIN
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:02 am    Post subject:

What kind of contract for Jansen?
Shalashaska
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:10 am    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

At least he'll keep base-runners honest with his arm. I've learned to give up on him offensively, FO needs to build the lineup with Puig in the bottom third of the order. Get some productive bats elsewhere. I'd leave out Joc if it means acquiring another all-star caliber outfielder.

Puig had a bit of a renaissance after his demotion. He needs to mature more of course, but overall, I think he did a good job in September through the post-season.

At the end of the day, have to keep in mind that the Cubs staff had the best ERA in the league. Hard to overcome that in a 7 game series with inconsistent offense that runs hot-and-cold.

Adding some more bats to the middle core of the line would help. Let's see what the FO's plan is heading into winter.
Shalashaska
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:13 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

Cubs lineup far more dangerous 1-8 than ours and they have much better starting pitching. Luckily they will probably lose half their team if they win the world series.

Not sure what the breakdown of their free agents is after this year, but I wouldnt be surprised at all if that were the case. Several examples last couple of seasons of players leaving teams after getting a ring for the big $$$.

Baseball doesnt command the same player loyalty (and fewer and fewer professional leagues do) as in basketball (which is, sadly, trending the same way).
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:49 am    Post subject:

I'd like to see us bring back AJ as Kershaw's personal catcher, like Ross catches every Lester start.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:11 am    Post subject:

I'll give my immediate reaction here and try to look at this logically...

--Kershaw will not be traded (duh) and has to return as the ace. Kazmir is almost certainly going to opt in, given his struggles, so you have to include him as a part of the rotation. Maeda of course will be back, and Urias will probably pitch 120-150 innings (so maybe he won't be part of the Opening Day rotation, who knows). With McCarthy still under contract for 2 more years, absent a trade, he'll almost certainly be in the Opening Day rotation if healthy, too. DeLeon turns 25 next season, so if they aren't going to use him in the rotation next season, they might as well trade him. The time to baby him is over. So potentially, you could see a Kershaw/Maeda/Kazmir/McCarthy/DeLeon Opening Day rotation, and perhaps they start with Urias in the bullpen for the first couple of months to try to keep his innings down. And then when the inevitable Kazmir or McCarthy injury happens, Urias and DeLeon could both be in the rotation anyway.

--Of course, if Otani were posted, I would imagine that the Dodgers would have serious interest. If they landed him, I am guessing that they would probably be willing to move McCarthy or Kazmir and pay much of the remaining salary if they had to.

--I don't see Rich Hill being a realistic option in free agency unless they were able to deal at least one of McCarthy/Kazmir. And given how barren the free agent market is and what Hill might command, even as brittle as he is, I would probably stay away, anyway.

--I was thinking that this FO would let Jansen go, perhaps believing that closers weren't worth that much since they can be so volatile, but with Jansen proving that he can go multiple innings effectively at the highest level of competition, perhaps they shell out the cash to retain him. I'm still not convinced, but if they let him walk, it's not like Chapman would be any cheaper (and they aren't going back to that well anyway), and even Melancon is going to get paid big time, so why not just pay the guy you have had and know is really good?

--Assuming we can keep Jansen, we have got to find a second legit power arm as a bridge to Jansen. Blanton is a FA and certainly isn't the answer, as he was miscast as an 8th inning guy (it's not his fault; I believe he was pitching above his head for much of the season and then ran out of gas). Baez is not the answer. I don't know that we have an in-house answer, especially since Frankie Montas was traded. We might have to look to the trade market.

--Turner is an absolute must to retain IMO. Third base is a wasteland, he's been a great hitter since donning Dodger blue, and he is a good fielder as well. Pay him.

--I would love to see the team sign Yoenis Cespedes in free agency. The team needs a starting corner outfielder, and the fact that he's also good on defense and bats right-handed is another plus. He seems to have improved as a hitter in the last two seasons. With Toles, Joc, and Cespedes in the outfield, you're strong defensively. Bonus for rwongega: he once played for the A's!

--Toles needs to be playing every day next year in one of the corner outfield spots. And he needs to be the leadoff hitter.

--Howie can still play second base and they should move him back there. I respect what Chase Utley brought to the clubhouse, but it's time to go back to Howie.

--My lineup would look something like this, at least against right-handers. This lineup never has two lefties in a row, and I suppose that 6-8 could change depending on who was hotter, but I would like to keep 1-5 the same at all times, barring something unforeseen:
1) Toles
2) Turner
3) Seager
4) Cespedes
5) Gonzalez
6) Kendrick
7) Grandal
8) Pederson

--It's time to part ways with Puig. I'm sorry, but he shouldn't be in their plans going forward. He's just not reliable. Move him and get what you can, even if it may not be much, or include him in a package that can get you something useful.

--Try to trade Ethier to an AL team that could use a DH, and pay much of his salary to make it happen. That might not be able to be completed, and if so, he just stays around as a pricey reserve outfielder, I suppose. We can't be counting on him for a regular role, nor should we.

--Trayce Thompson will be back as another reserve outfielder and might even start for Toles vs. lefties, if he shows that he's fully recovered and hitting well in spring.

--Players I would try to trade: Puig, Ethier, Baez, Kazmir, McCarthy, Stripling. I wouldn't even be opposed to trading Joc if you got the right return and/or made the right free agent signing (Dexter Fowler is a free agent, food for thought).

--Free agents I would target: beyond Jansen and Turner...Cespedes, Jose Bautista, Otani (if he's posted), Greg Holland (could be a bargain off TJ surgery from Sept. 2015), Brad Ziegler (2.44 career ERA is among the best in the game for a reliever, and has the rwongega bonus of being an ex-Oakland A), Melancon (if Jansen got away), possibly Fowler if Joc were traded

--Possible trade targets: Chris Sale, Jose Quintana, David Robertson, Justin Verlander, Justin Upton, Wade Davis, Kelvin Herrera, Ryan Braun, Andrew McCutchen, Giancarlo Stanton, Julio Teheran, Arodys Vizcaino. Oh, and maybe Greinke. Although only if the D'backs paid a lot of his salary and we didn't send them any good prospects back. The Dodgers could have signed him without giving up any prospects last winter, so they certainly aren't going to take him now--coming off a down year--AND give up anything just to get him back. There are a lot of guys who could be available for the right price this offseason, I think. With a really poor free agency class, I think that we'll see teams swinging more trades than usual.

--Lastly, recall that the Dodgers and Brewers were apparently very close to a trade centered around Puig-Braun before the deadline. It's quite possible that the teams could look to revisit those talks. Braun would be a nice consolation prize if we didn't get Cespedes, although Yoenis is a better all-around player at this stage and wouldn't cost us anything other than money (although if it only cost us Puig to get Braun, that's not much of a loss.) Braun is owed $76MM through 2020, and my guess it that Cespedes will get a lot more than a 4 year, $76M deal, so that's something to consider.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject:

Shalashaska wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

Not sure what the breakdown of their free agents is after this year, but I wouldnt be surprised at all if that were the case. Several examples last couple of seasons of players leaving teams after getting a ring for the big $$$.

Baseball doesnt command the same player loyalty (and fewer and fewer professional leagues do) as in basketball (which is, sadly, trending the same way).

Unfortunately, I can tell you that the Cubs are pretty well set up for a while. Among their position players, only Fowler is going to be a free agent, and remember that they will get Schwarber back. In their rotation, Lester/Arrieta/Hendricks/Lackey/Hammel are all under contract for 2017, unless they decline Hammel's $12MM club option. Chapman's a free agent (as are Travis Wood and Joe Smith), but their other big bullpen pieces (Strop, Rondon, Edwards, Montgomery) will return. They are very, very well set up to make another serious run in 2017. After the '17 season, Arrieta, Lackey, and Strop will be free agents, and that's about it as far as their big pieces.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:55 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
rwongega wrote:
This FO will:

rwongega may have been a little harsh, but Kobe-ReLoaded had literally the worst trade proposal of all time last year and he continually brought it up. It was the equivalent of trading 2005 Kobe (and prospects) for a 1980's former all-star. It made Pedro for Delino DeShields look like a good deal. He deserves the ridicule.

We'll try to keep this thread clear of personal attacks though boss. BTW thank you for killing the trolls in the 2016 thread in the last couple days. Appreciate it.

Let's clarify. Somehow my proposal of Urias (and low tier prospects) for Hamels morphed into Urias, Seager, and DeLeon courtesy of rwongega. Give me a break, that was what was asked by the Phillies GM Amaro.

My premise for the trade has always been Hamels is still a top tier pitcher and one that was locked up for 4-5 more years at an avg of $23M.
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject:

Amaro wasn't taking anything but Urias, DeLeon and Seager so doesn't matter. Besides, Urias alone was too much.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject:

Going to enjoy seeing the development of Urias. Don't forget it took a couple of years before Kershaw became a dominant starting pitcher.....we put Urias in the fire in his rookie year. I remember when Kershaw came in the league we only asked him to do some middle relief work vs the Phillies in the playoffs in his rookie year. He didn't even start in the playoffs until his 2nd year in the league.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 340, 341, 342  Next
Page 1 of 342
Jump to: