Colin Kaepernick - Update pg 21, settlement agreed to
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Colin Kaepernick - Update pg 21, settlement agreed to

Quote:
San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick says he refused to stand during the national anthem Friday due to his views on the country's treatment of racial minorities.

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media after Friday's game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

The 49ers acknowledged in a statement that Kaepernick sat during the national anthem before their game against the Green Bay Packers.

"The national anthem is and always will be a special part of the pregame ceremony," the statement said. "It is an opportunity to honor our country and reflect on the great liberties we are afforded as its citizens. In respecting such American principles as freedom of religion and freedom of expression, we recognize the right of an individual to choose to participate, or not, in our celebration of the national anthem."

Kaepernick told NFL Media that he did not tell the team he was planning to protest the national anthem.

"This is not something that I am going to run by anybody," he said. "I am not looking for approval. I have to stand up for people that are oppressed. ... If they take football away, my endorsements from me, I know that I stood up for what is right."

Kaepernick also refused to stand for the national anthem in at least one other preseason game. Pro Football Talk initially reported that Kaepernick did not stand during the anthem. He was not asked about his decision during his postgame news conference, which was held prior to the Pro Football Talk report.

Numerous high-profile athletes have spoken out about civil rights issues in the wake of gun violence throughout the United States. In July, Dwyane Wade, LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony and Chris Paul opened the ESPYS with a call for social change and an end to violence, and WNBA players wore warm-up shirts to show solidarity after shootings in Minnesota and Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

Wade's cousin, Nykea Aldridge, was killed by gunfire in Chicago on Friday, a day after Wade participated in a series of panel discussions on gun violence hosted by The Undefeated on ESPN.

Kaepernick told NFL Media that he had thought about going public with his feelings for a while but that "I felt that I needed to understand the situation better."

He joins team sports athletes including Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf and Carlos Delgado in refusing to participate during patriotic American songs. Abdul-Rauf was suspended one game by the NBA in 1996 for not standing during the national anthem, saying it conflicted with his Islamic beliefs. Delgado would leave the field in 2004 during "God Bless America" in protest of the Iraq War.

Kaepernick made his preseason debut against the Packers after sitting out the first two exhibition games because of tightness in his right shoulder. Kaepernick went 2-for-6 for 14 yards and added 18 yards on four carries in the 49ers' 21-10 loss.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17401815/colin-kaepernick-san-francisco-49ers-sits-national-anthem-prior-preseason-game
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject:

SMH
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject:

The Ryan Lochte of the NFL.

What a moron!
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject:

Definitely winning the hearts and minds of an organization that has been trying to get rid of him if it wasn't for his bad contract.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject:

Terrible country, making it possible for an idiot like him to make millions of dollars. Why doesn't he go live on an unincorporated island or go to a country he feels treats minorities better.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject:

I take it back. He's not the Ryan Lochte of the NFL because Lochte is at least good at something.

Funny thing that Kaeps entire NFL career has been during the tenure of our Black president. So oppressive!

When you can't beat out Blaine Gabbert for a QB job, the only thing oppressive is your own quarterbacking skills.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject:

A nonevent.

However, if the US Armed Forces threaten to scale back advertising, Goodell will overreact and martyr Kaepernick by suspending him for a game.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject:

I'm not a huge football guy, and I may be way off here, but Colin Kaepernick kind of strikes me as a relatively bright individual. That's why I'm a little surprised and disappointed by this move. There are better ways for him to get his point across. The underlining purpose of our national anthem is to unify us. He's opting to go in the other direction with his actions, and can lead to a reverse effect of his message. It just seems disingenuous and hypocritical on his part.

Last edited by Legacy on Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject:

Terrible way to get more attention.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject:

To be honest, this just seems ignorant.

Why was it all good until now? Now to suddenly decide that this is an issue and to take a stand.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject:

He interprets respecting his country flag about as well as he reads defenses.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject:

rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject:

They'll take his endorsements and football away from him because he sucks. I've said it before, he's an awful QB and the contract given to Krapernick was hilarious.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject:

A guy doesn't feel like standing up and singing a song. Big deal. What ever ones reason for thinking that patriotism is silly, if you're not patriotic then why on earth would you participate? Because the other sheep get their panties in a twist because you don't share their fervor? They'll get over it...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
A guy doesn't feel like standing up and singing a song. Big deal. What ever ones reason for thinking that patriotism is silly, if you're not patriotic then why on earth would you participate? Because the other sheep get their panties in a twist because you don't share their fervor? They'll get over it...

Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject:

He's going to be sitting for a long time then
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject:

I could really care less, and I'm not going to pretend to be offended or anything on behalf of the country, but Kaepernick is a dumbass. There's umpteen billion better ways to stand up for minorities and to protest unjust police shootings than to embarrass yourself by sitting during the anthem.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject:

These anthem sits are case specific in terms of their fallouts, but it would be bad for him if he decided to go the Rauf route and do it every game. One game may not be all that big a deal, but I remember Josh Howard getting more flack than he probably bargained for something he did or didn't do during the anthem for one game (I think he flipped the bird or cursed or something during the anthem). That's nothing to say about the rightness or wrongness of either side's take on this, btw, but NFL has a rah-rah Murica fanbase of ticket buyers.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Meh. I've always thought that playing the national anthem at every freaking sports event is overkill. Should be reserved for special events, like when one of our national teams play, the Super Bowl, NBA Finals, etc.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Meh. I've always thought that playing the national anthem at every freaking sports event is overkill. Should be reserved for special events, like when one of our national teams play, the Super Bowl, NBA Finals, etc.

I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject:

If he sat and said nothing, it wouldn't be as big of a deal.

I think people are more upset by his ridiculous reasoning which makes no sense whatsoever. That is more insulting than sitting.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject:

He's probably just used to sitting down now...

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:

Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
These anthem sits are case specific in terms of their fallouts, but it would be bad for him if he decided to go the Rauf route and do it every game. One game may not be all that big a deal, but I remember Josh Howard getting more flack than he probably bargained for something he did or didn't do during the anthem for one game (I think he flipped the bird or cursed or something during the anthem). That's nothing to say about the rightness or wrongness of either side's take on this, btw, but NFL has a rah-rah Murica fanbase of ticket buyers.

He did it the last game as well. It was no big deal then just as it was no big deal for this game. Nobody in the media asked him about it the 1st time and he never volunteered why he did it. Same thing in the postgame this time as well. Nobody asked him about it and he didn't volunteer why. Then after the postgame on the local ProTalk show, somebody finally asked him about it and he honestly answered their question.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject:

He'll be punished same at John Carlos and Tommy Smith I applaud his stance but wish he'd chosen a different vehicle. I understand showing disapproval for the treatment of minorities. I don't believe in disrespecting or desecrating the flag. It stands for so much more.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 1 of 26
Jump to: