Lakers in the News 11/30/15 - 12/06/15: Jordan Clarkson Says He Was ‘Playing Selfish’ In Loss To Pistons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject:

ReaListik wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:
'Extremely unlikely' Lakers fire Byron Scott, seen as 'innocent bystander' in Kobe Bryant farewell tour
by Drew Garrison - silverscreenandroll.com

The Los Angeles Lakers may have hit a new season low with their loss to the Philadelphia 76ers, but they don't plan on making a head coaching change time any time soon, reports Sam Amick of USA TODAY Sports. Scott is viewed as an "innocent bystander" as Kobe Bryant struggles through his final season and it's "extremely unlikely" the Lakers make a head coaching switch midseason, according to an anonymous source that spoke with Amick.

The Lakers sit at 2-15 on the season and are currently on a seven-game losing streak, hitting a new low as they opened an eight-game road trip. Amick points to there still being a chance the Lakers soften their stance on sticking with Scott should the losing streak get out of hand, but it appears the front office is essentially handing Scott a pardon for any results during a season that is very important to the start of their rebuilding process.

These paragraphs from Amick are the most telling in his report on the front office's view of Scott, who "wont be held responsible" for the horrendous season transpiring for the Lakers:

While there's a never-say-never qualifier to the notion that coach Byron Scott could be replaced midseason, it appears for now that he won't be held responsible for either the dreadful record or the fruitless way in which Bryant continues to play. The coaching component, it should be noted, could always change if this losing streak (currently seven games) grew too big to bear.

The strong sense, however, is that Scott is seen largely as an innocent bystander in Bryant's bon voyage campaign. Scott signed a four-year, $17 million deal in July 2014 to reunite with his former teammate, but the contract is only guaranteed through next season.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2015/12/2/9835186/la-lakers-byron-scott-safe-not-fired-kobe-bryant-news

Wow what a cop out. How about grow a set and take control of the situation.

Why? Just let it be man. It's Kobe's time, it's the last times we will see him, it is the right thing to do.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject:

Kobe Bryant on Attention From Retirement: I Thought Everybody Hated Me
by Cody Williams - lakeshowlife.com

Lakers legend Kobe Bryant wasn’t expecting all of the love from people after his retirement announcement

Kobe Bryant announced that he will be retiring at the end of the 2015-16 season on Sunday night prior to the Los Angeles Lakers game against the Indiana Pacers. That night and in the two road games since, there’s been an outpouring of gratitude and love shown to Kobe from fans and opposing teams knowing that Kobe doesn’t have much longer left in the league.

It’s been amazing to watch, from the Philadelphia 76ers putting together an incredible presentation to the Washington Wizards producing a brief moment in honor of Bryant to even Boston Celtics fans writing letters of respect to Kobe.

As it turns out, The Black Mamba wasn’t expecting a bit of it.

After Kobe’s heroics late in the fourth quarter against the Wizards led the Lakers to a much needed victory on Wednesday night, Kobe spoke on the outpouring of love and support that he’s received and admitted that he was shocked by it all because he thought that he wasn’t exactly the most liked guy in the NBA:

Kobe said he wasn't prepared for all the attention since he announced his retirement: "I thought everybody hated me."

http://lakeshowlife.com/2015/12/02/kobe-bryant-attention-retirement-thought-everybody-hated-me/
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject:

Kobe Bryant respected Michael Jordan’s preparation with the Wizards
by Mark Medina - dailynews.com

The man studied seemingly every one of Michael Jordan’s moves. Kobe Bryant emulated Jordan’s fadeaway jumper. They showed similar on-court mannerisms. They both became obsessed with winning.

But Bryant also studied the end of Jordan’s NBA career closely. After averaging 30.1 points per game en route to five NBA MVP awards with the Chicago Bulls, Jordan’s scoring output in his last two seasons with the Washington Wizards dipped in both 2001-02 (22.0 points) and 2002-03 (20 points).

Yet, Bryant still admired how Jordan handled his craft even as his skills declined.

“He did everything he could to prepare, much the same way he did in Chicago,” Bryant said following the Lakers’ 108-104 win over the Wizards on Wednesday at Verizon Center. “He studied the game and got his body ready to play. Nutrition was a big thing for him. He just did whatever he could to prepare himself. I do the same thing.”

Bryant posted a season-high 31 points on 10-of-24 shooting in 36 minutes against the Wizards. But he has averaged 15.8 points, while shooting a career-low 30.1 percent from the field. Jordan represented one of the first people Bryant informed last summer about his plan to retire following the 2015-16 season.

“We just talked generally about the game and what it feels like to play the last year,” Bryant said. “But nothing specific.”

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20151202/lakers-kobe-bryant-respected-michael-jordans-preparation-with-the-wizards
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject:

D'Angelo Russell continues to learn
by Mike Bresnahan - latimes.com

Credit D'Angelo Russell. He's already acting like a savvy veteran.

He played against another All-Star point guard, making it nine past or present ones in his 18 career NBA games.

Why not try to help your odds if you're 19 years old and still learning the NBA game? Especially if you're playing against John Wall of the Washington Wizards.

"You kind of try to get a good relationship with the refs because he does a great job of drawing contact and forcing the call," Russell said Wednesday after the Lakers beat the Wizards, 108-104. "Try to go after what [referees] tell you as far as not getting the foul."

The stat sheet didn't look great for Russell. Wall had 34 points and 11 assists. He made nine of a game-high 12 free-throw attempts. Russell had 13 points, four assists and four turnovers.

Nobody was mad at Russell, though. He is improving incrementally.

"He's playing a lot better," Coach Byron Scott said before the game.

Russell scored on a floater in the third quarter and then took a nice bounce pass from Kobe Bryant for a layup. He drew a response from the many Lakers fans in attendance on an aggressive fourth-quarter drive down the lane that split two defenders. He couldn't quite finish his reverse layup but was credited with a basket after one of the Wizards accidentally touched the rim.

Russell also had four steals but did not play in crunch time, Scott going instead with veteran Lou Williams.

Russell has not been as NBA-ready as two point guards Scott coached in the past — Chris Paul and Kyrie Irving.

"First of all, both of those guys were probably a little bit more mature and a little bit farther ahead than where D.A. is right now. Those guys were pretty polished when they got in the league," Scott said. "There wasn't a whole lot I had to do with them besides just give them the ball and say, 'OK, I want you to do this and that and this.' This kid, I have to start from scratch, pretty much. I still think he's going to be a pretty damn good player."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-report-20151203-story.html
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject:

30 Greatest Lakers Moments of All Time
by Eric Yee - lakeshowlife.com

In no particular order, here are the 30 greatest Lakers moments of all time.

The Los Angeles Lakers are one of the most storied franchises in the NBA with moments of greatness littered throughout over half a century of excellence. Subsequently, it’s only fitting that fans look back over the history of the organization and list those moments out.

This list could go on and on forever due to its objective nature. For example, say you’re a Derek Fisher fan, you’re not going to agree that Fish is only mentioned on this list once.

Having said that, this list is made up of the first 30 moments that popped into our heads when the title “30 Greatest Lakers Moments of All Time” was suggested. Considering this is Kobe Bryant’s last season in the NBA, don’t be shocked to see his name frequently placed throughout the slideshow.

Kobe’s retirement announcement has left a sad feeling in the hearts of Lakers fans as one of the greats of the game is hanging up his Nikes. Fans need a reason to smile and looking back on all of Bryant’s great moments with the Lakers and the great moments that the Lakers have enjoyed over their history seems like as good of a way as any to make that happen.

If this list doesn’t get you hyped to be a Lakers fan, nothing will. With no further adieu, let’s dive right in.

http://lakeshowlife.com/2015/11/30/30-greatest-lakers-moments-of-all-time/
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:04 pm    Post subject:

Mitch Kupchak: Lakers Must Develop Identity For Free Agents To Consider Them
by Corey Hansford - lakersnation.com

Things have not gone the Los Angeles Lakers way this season leading many fans to already begin looking ahead to the off-season in hopes of some positive changes, which is where general manager Mitch Kupchak will need to work his magic.

Many are looking towards the team’s top-three protected draft pick in hopes of landing top prospect, Ben Simmons, but the Lakers will also be looking at free agency in hopes of making a big splash.

If they are to do that, however, Kupchak believes the Lakers must develop an identity for free agents to consider them as he told Sirius XM NBA Radio:

Mitch Kupchak tells us the #Lakers have to develop an identity with their young players & veterans for free agents to look at them

http://www.lakersnation.com/mitch-kupchak-lakers-must-develop-identity-for-free-agents-to-consider-them/2015/12/03/
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject:

Kobe’s farewell tour entails Atlanta zoo naming a black mamba after him

As he once dominated his opponents with endless scoring bursts with an intimidating glare, Kobe Bryant became known as “The Black Mamba. As he has slithered and hunted his prey in Zoo Atlanta, the black mamba became known as “Kobe.”

Only four days into Bryant’s official farewell tour, and it turns out opposing teams will not just honor him with video tributes and Lakers-friendly crowds. With the Lakers (3-15) playing the Atlanta Hawks (12-9) on Friday at Philips Arena, the Hawks and Atlanta Zoo announced that the zoo has renamed its black mamba snake in honor of Bryant.

To Bryant’s relief, no team has showered him yet with gifts in the same fashion former Lakers center Kareem Abdul-Jabbar received during his farewell 1988-89 season.

The Philadelphia 76ers honored him with a framed No. 24 jersey of his high school alma mater, Lower Merion. Sixers luminary Julius Erving and Bryant’s high school coach, Gregg Downer, greeted Bryant at center court. Toward the end of a timeout midway through the first quarter of Wednesday’s game in Washington, the Wizards’ scoreboard featured a picture of Bryant with the message: “Thank you for 20 amazing worlds.”

“We’re going out and having a good time with it and having fun and going out and playing,” Bryant said. “It’s really helping our team. It pumped so life for us to play with more energy.”

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20151203/kobe-bryants-farewell-tour-entails-atlanta-zoo-naming-a-black-mamba-after-him
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:45 am    Post subject:

Lakers youngsters are soaking in Kobe Bryant's retirement tour

There's a 37-year-old saying goodbye to the NBA in his 20th and final season.

But there are three Lakers starters — ages 19, 21 and 23 — trying to get a foothold in the league, hoping to have long, productive careers.

The balancing act between old and young will be displayed almost continually over the final four-plus months of Kobe Bryant's in-season retirement party.

It will sometimes be awkward, such as Tuesday's game in Philadelphia. Bryant distorted the offense by taking 26 shots, a whopping 17 from three-point range, in an embarrassing 103-91 loss in his hometown.

Other times, the balance will be better, like the Lakers' unexpected 108-104 victory over Washington in which seemingly everybody contributed.

If the Lakers' youth feels left out — or worse, forgotten — it's not being expressed.

D'Angelo Russell, the youngest of the Lakers' starters, said he felt like "a fan" while playing in Wednesday's game, Bryant's best of the season (31 points).

"Just to really get to witness it and see it in person," Russell said, all but shaking his head in teenage wonderment.

The second-youngest starter, Julius Randle, was equally awestruck. The fan adulation and media attention has been non-stop since Bryant declared on Sunday he would retire after this season.

"It's like Michael Jackson's coming to town or something like that," Randle said. "I haven't seen anything like it."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-report-20151204-story.html
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject:

Kobe says Tony Allen was the defender who gave him the most problems
by Harrison Faigen - silverscreenandroll.com

Bryant reiterates which defender gave him the most trouble over his career.

"Kobe-stopper." For Kobe Bryant's prime with the Los Angeles Lakers it was a player 29 other NBA teams searched for and a term probably used too liberally. With Bryant on an off-day in Atlanta before facing off against the Hawks on Friday, Ernie Johnson of TNT's "Inside the NBA" sat down with the retiring superstar and asked him which player he would consider "the Kobe-Stopper."

"The player I always had the most trouble with individually was Tony Allen. Always." Bryant said, before citing Bruce Bowen, Raja Bell, and Ruben Patterson as other players who gave him trouble. In Kobe's eyes, however, Allen stands (or more accurately, laterally slides) without peer.

"Tony Allen he played one on one defense. He never funneled me anywhere. His job was just to stay in front of me and just hound me the entire game, and he did."

This is not the first time Bryant has cited Allen as his biggest challenge. In November of 2014 before breaking his knee in a collision with Allen, Kobe praised him to Mark Medina of the L.A. Daily News:

"I know what to do and he knows how to guard me," Bryant said. "It's just a matter of who can get the better of who consistently. There will be possessions where he does a phenomenal job. There will be possessions where I abuse him. It's a fun battle to see."

"He's fundamentally sound defensively and he plays harder than everybody else defensively," Bryant said. "He has a competitive desire to compete individually. That's very uncommon. Most defensive players I face want help all the time. I've never heard him ask for help. He likes taking the challenge."

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2015/12/3/9846716/la-lakers-kobe-bryant-kobe-stopper-tony-allen
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:
Kobe says 'it would be an honor' to remain involved with Lakers once he retires
by Bill Oram - ocregister.com

When Kobe Bryant disusses his plans for post-retirement, basketball is rarely among them. Earlier this season he joked that he is uninterested in coaching because he doesn't "feel like dealing with divas."

But how about a different role?

Before his final game in his native Philadelphia, Bryant told reporters at Wells Fargo Center that it would be “an honor” to remain involved with the Lakers organization in some capacity.

“Me and the Buss family, we grew up together,” Bryant said, via a video stream of his press conference. “(Part-owners and top executives) Jeanie and Jimmy, they’ve known me since I was a kid. It would be an honor to help them with their transition to get them back to the top.”

In a subsequent interview on Time Warner Cable SportsNet, Jeanie Buss said, “I think Kobe can do anything. If that’s something that interests then absolutely I would talk to him about it.

“Not only does he have basketball IQ, but he knows marketing, he knows customer relations, media relations, he can do anything. … It warms my heart that he knows how connected he is to my family.”

Bryant’s comments came hours after Magic Johnson reportedly suggested during a news conference at Dodger Stadium that the 76ers should give Bryant an ownership stake.

Ownership is not something for which Bryant “has had a burning desire to look into too much,” Bryant said.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/bryant-694405-kobe-coaching.html
Curious that a lifelong legendary Laker would tell another lifelong legendary Laker to seek ownership stake in another franchise.

Yeah...and Philly hasn't exactly been kind to Kobe over the years. Interesting poke of the bear by Magic.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:
Kobe says 'it would be an honor' to remain involved with Lakers once he retires
by Bill Oram - ocregister.com

When Kobe Bryant disusses his plans for post-retirement, basketball is rarely among them. Earlier this season he joked that he is uninterested in coaching because he doesn't "feel like dealing with divas."

But how about a different role?

Before his final game in his native Philadelphia, Bryant told reporters at Wells Fargo Center that it would be “an honor” to remain involved with the Lakers organization in some capacity.

“Me and the Buss family, we grew up together,” Bryant said, via a video stream of his press conference. “(Part-owners and top executives) Jeanie and Jimmy, they’ve known me since I was a kid. It would be an honor to help them with their transition to get them back to the top.”

In a subsequent interview on Time Warner Cable SportsNet, Jeanie Buss said, “I think Kobe can do anything. If that’s something that interests then absolutely I would talk to him about it.

“Not only does he have basketball IQ, but he knows marketing, he knows customer relations, media relations, he can do anything. … It warms my heart that he knows how connected he is to my family.”

Bryant’s comments came hours after Magic Johnson reportedly suggested during a news conference at Dodger Stadium that the 76ers should give Bryant an ownership stake.

Ownership is not something for which Bryant “has had a burning desire to look into too much,” Bryant said.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/bryant-694405-kobe-coaching.html
Curious that a lifelong legendary Laker would tell another lifelong legendary Laker to seek ownership stake in another franchise.

Yeah...and Philly hasn't exactly been kind to Kobe over the years. Interesting poke of the bear by Magic.

I know, right?
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject:

Hard work has made Jordan Clarkson into the real deal
by Harrison Faigen - silverscreenandroll.com

The Los Angeles guard is looking like more of a draft steal with each passing game.

When the Los Angeles Lakers acquired the draft rights to Jordan Clarkson from the Washington Wizards for a reported $1.8 million, he was mostly seen as an afterthought by fans who were entranced with the higher pedigree of Julius Randle. That is understandable, after all, how much could realistically be expected from the rookie season of the 46th overall pick in the 2014 NBA draft?

Then Julius Randle was lost for the year less than a game into his NBA career, and Clarkson became the only young player of any interest or future value to a team that would set the mark as the worst Lakers team of all-time. Clarkson sat for the majority of the year until making his first start just before the All-Star break against the San Antonio Spurs, scoring 11 points and dishing four assists in just over 29 minutes of playing time.

Clarkson took some time to gain his bearings, but after spending the All-Star break working out with future Hall of Fame point guard Steve Nash, the overlooked second-rounder came back to work with a vengeance. He averaged 16.7 points and 5.4 assists per game while shooting 47.9 percent from the field after the All-Star break on his way to first team All-Rookie honors. Such efficiency while using 24.4 percent of the Lakers' possessions on a team with few other players who could create their own shot was surprising for everyone. Everyone except Jordan, that is.

"I feel like I was one of the better point guards in the draft, maybe the best," Clarkson said in his first interview from the Lakers practice facility after the team selected him. When asked if he was going to try and make the teams who passed on him pay, Clarkson was polite, but the fire in his eyes was unmistakable. "Oh yes sir, I'm just going to come here and work hard and try and be the best player I can be."

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2015/12/3/9840176/la-lakers-jordan-clarkson-steal-stats-film
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Julius Randle is one of the best young rebounders in the NBA
by Drew Garrison - silverscreenandroll.com

Julius Randle's complimenting his developing offensive skillset by cleaning up the glass, and he's one of the best young rebounders in the NBA through a month of play.

Julius Randle pulled down a career-high 19 rebounds against the Washington Wizards but looked like he had at least 40 more in him if the game kept rolling. He came up with seven offensive rebounds, and when the Lakers needed every point they could muster to avoid blowing a 19-point lead, keeping a missed Kobe Bryant jumper alive was one of the key sequences L.A. needed to fend off Washington.

It was the kind of possession we've come to expect from the Lakers down the stretch in tight games. Kobe had the ball with a defender latched onto him and the game in the balance. Bryant isolated, backed John Wall down, and took a tough shot that struck rim. Julius saw this shot coming from a mile away, though, and tracked it down perfectly. He crashed into the paint to snatch the ball out of Marcin Gortat and Wall's grasp, reset the offense, and ultimately kept the possession alive to the tune of two free-throws from Jordan Clarkson:

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2015/12/3/9843044/la-lakers-julius-randle-rebounding-stats-analysis
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:15 am    Post subject:

Kobe - Retirement plans ‘just slipped out’ during a game

The conversation seemed appropriate for a private moment in the coach’s office. Or maybe when the two talk on the phone. Instead, Lakers guard Kobe Bryant informed coach Byron Scott he would retire at the end of the 2015-16 season in an unusual setting.

It happened at the beginning of the third quarter when the Lakers played last Saturday in Portland.

“I was shocked,” Scott said before Friday’s 100-87 loss to the Atlanta Hawks at Philips Arena. “I was more like, ‘What? I didn’t think I heard you correctly.’”

Scott did not need a hearing aid.

“It just slipped out,” Bryant said, laughing. “He was talking about my minutes so I said, ‘That doesn’t matter. I’m not playing next year anyway.’”

Bryant decided not to clarify so he could “mess with (Scott) a little bit.”

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20151204/kobe-bryant-retirement-plans-just-slipped-out-during-a-game
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:18 am    Post subject:

What Will Kobe Miss the Most?
by Cody Williams - lakeshowlife.com

Kobe Bryant is retiring after this season, but what will the Lakers star miss the most about the NBA and the game?

It’s been less than a week since Kobe Bryant announced that he will be retiring at the end of the Los Angeles Lakers’ 2015-16 season, yet we’re already four games closer to the end of his illustrious career since the news first broke.

Considering the reactions from every crowd he’s played in front of since the announcement and the millions of Lakers fans and NBA fans that have expressed various sentiments online, Kobe is obviously going to be sorely missed once he’s done playing. That being said, we don’t really know what Bryant is going to miss about the game when he’s gone.

Luckily, Kobe said some light on that subject after the Lakers’ loss to the Hawks on Friday night. When asked what the future Hall-of-Famer would miss the most after he retires, Bryant replied in a surprisingly poetic fashion:

The smell of the ball, the sound of the ball bouncing, the squeak of the sneakers, the little buzz of the lights that you hear in the arena when nobody is around - just constant humming, the sound of the net. All those little geeky things. I'll miss all of them.

http://lakeshowlife.com/2015/12/04/lakers-what-will-kobe-bryant-miss-most/
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject:

Kobe says post-playing career will be different from Magic Johnson's
by Make Bresnahan - latimes.com

Magic Johnson has dabbled in just about everything since retiring as a player.

He's owned coffeehouse chains, restaurants, gyms, movie theatres, condominium complexes and, of course, small pieces of the Lakers (formerly) and Dodgers (currently).

Kobe Bryant isn't entirely sure what shape his post-playing career will take, but it won't involve being the next Magic.

"We don't have the same personality," Bryant said Friday. "I can't go around talking and smiling at people all day."

Bryant was joking, but it was easy to envision his hard-charging, impatient ways carrying over into the business sector after he retired next April.

In fact, at his postgame news conference Friday, he made the shape of a small box with his hands and said, "Here's your window," pretending to talk to a prospective investor.

Bryant established Kobe Inc. last year, a sports-related venture that invested in Body Armor athletic beverage. He was an early investor in the Players Tribune, a website in which athletes write first-person narratives.

He again emphatically said he would never be a coach and also said he wasn't interested in being a general manager.

"If I'm involved in basketball, from a league perspective, it would be from an ownership perspective if at all," he said. "I'm not [feeling] any of that daily stuff. That's not happening."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-report-20151205-story.html
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject:

TDIKH: December 5, 2012
by nba.com

Kobe Bryant has spent his entire career putting himself in elite company and this night was no different.

Bryant ignited for 29 points in a 103-87 win in New Orleans, while also reaching the 30,000-point mark.

Prior to this night, the club’s only members had been Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Karl Malone, Michael Jordan and Wilt Chamberlain.

“It's pretty awesome," Bryant told reporters after the game. "These are players I respect tremendously and obviously grew up idolizing and watching and learned a great deal from.”

New Orleans’ Ryan Anderson actually topped Bryant’s output with 31 points of his own, but the L.A. all-star pieced together a complete game with six rebounds, four assists and three steals, while also hitting 10-of-17 from the field and 8-of-9 at the foul line.

Bryant scored 17 of his points in the first half to keep the Lakers afloat, as they trailed by one after two quarters. From there, the Lakers took over by opening the third quarter with 13 unanswered points and never looking back.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/tdikh/1205
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
Kobe says post-playing career will be different from Magic Johnson's
by Make Bresnahan - latimes.com

Magic Johnson has dabbled in just about everything since retiring as a player.

He's owned coffeehouse chains, restaurants, gyms, movie theatres, condominium complexes and, of course, small pieces of the Lakers (formerly) and Dodgers (currently).

Kobe Bryant isn't entirely sure what shape his post-playing career will take, but it won't involve being the next Magic.

"We don't have the same personality," Bryant said Friday. "I can't go around talking and smiling at people all day."

Bryant was joking, but it was easy to envision his hard-charging, impatient ways carrying over into the business sector after he retired next April.

In fact, at his postgame news conference Friday, he made the shape of a small box with his hands and said, "Here's your window," pretending to talk to a prospective investor.

Bryant established Kobe Inc. last year, a sports-related venture that invested in Body Armor athletic beverage. He was an early investor in the Players Tribune, a website in which athletes write first-person narratives.

He again emphatically said he would never be a coach and also said he wasn't interested in being a general manager.

"If I'm involved in basketball, from a league perspective, it would be from an ownership perspective if at all," he said. "I'm not [feeling] any of that daily stuff. That's not happening."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-report-20151205-story.html

Surprised there was no mention of Magic's stint on late night television. I think Kobe could be a great straight man sidekick for Jimmy Kimmel, if he was interested.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Kobe ‘fine’ with his Lakers championship ring count

Kobe Bryant will soon feel something unpleasant that does not involve his health. When the Lakers (3-16) play the Detroit Pistons (11-9) on Sunday at the Palace of Auburn Hills, Bryant will feel frustration regarding the Lakers losing to the Pistons in five games of the 2004 NBA Finals.

“It still eats at me. Absolutely does,” Bryant said. “I’m upset that I gave Richard Hamilton something to brag about. Up until that point, he never beat me. That just kills me.”

Bryant has contended he should have won seven NBA championships instead of five amid the Lakers’ NBA Finals losses to Detroit (2004) and Boston (2008). So how does Bryant process the fact his 20-year NBA career will sit at five NBA titles?

“I did everything I could. I’m fine with that, ” Bryant said following Saturday’s practice at Georgia Tech University. “When I came into the league, I knew I didn’t want to have any regrets. I pushed as hard as I can. I’ve done that. So I’m completely fine.”

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20151205/kobe-bryant-fine-with-his-lakers-championship-ring-count
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Three Possible Trade Destinations for Nick Young
by Eric Yee - lakeshowlife.com

Through 19 games, the Los Angeles Lakers are an abysmal 3-16, on pace for a 10-72 season

On Sunday, Kobe Bryant briefly took fans’ minds off the fact that their team only had two wins on the season after announcing his pending retirement. In the “Ben Simmons Bowl,” the Lakers took on the Philadelphia 76ers Tuesday night for the title of NBA’s worst, and Los Angeles won… or lost depending on how you look at life.

Considering that the Sixers possess LA’s top three protected pick, and that even with the league’s worst record the Lakers would only have a 65 percent chance of keeping their pick, tanking away another season is not a viable option, though that seems to be Byron Scott‘s ongoing game plan.

That said, it may be time for the Lakers to start cutting their losses, and making moves that they should have made in years past.

By now, everyone is aware of the Lakers’ inconsiderate handling of Pau Gasol around the trade deadline which was subsequently one of the main reasons he declined their offer to return last season. Knowing what they know now, they can’t afford to make the same mistake twice with their current assets.

Entering the season, the Los Angeles media had already picked their ugly duckling. With the arrival of shiny, new toy Lou Williams, accompanied by Young’s prolonged struggles last season, it was an easy choice.

Surprisngly, the man formerly known as “Swaggy P,” who now prefers just “Nicolas,” has been one of the lone bright spots in this disaster of a year. Needless to say, Young’s trade value is at an all time high.

http://lakeshowlife.com/2015/12/05/lakers-three-possible-trade-destinations-for-nick-young/
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:28 am    Post subject:

Kobe's biggest regret might be 2004 Finals

To know Kobe Bryant is to understand one thing. He patterned his basketball career after Michael Jordan, with one major exception — he wanted to top Jordan in everything, primarily NBA championships.

It looked good for Bryant after the Lakers won a second consecutive title in 2010. He had five rings at age 31, with help that year from Pau Gasol's finesse, Lamar Odom's versatility, Derek Fisher's tranquillity and Metta World Peace's toughness.

A sixth never came for Bryant. He'll finish with one fewer championship than Jordan.

He says he's OK with it now, seemingly resigned to coming up a little short.

"Listen, I worked as hard as I [expletive] possibly could. I did everything I could," Bryant said Saturday. "I'm fine with that."

He says it calmly, not with eyes ablaze. There's nothing left to prove.

It doesn't, however, mean Bryant has forgotten the NBA Finals he lost.

There was the 39-point demolition the Boston Celtics handed the Lakers in the clinching Game 6 of the 2008 Finals. More on that later this month, when Bryant visits TD Garden for the final time.

There was also that unsettling loss to the Detroit Pistons in the 2004 Finals, a five-game series that easily could have been a sweep. It's a theme Bryant would rather forget as he makes his last trip to the Palace for Sunday's game.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-report-20151206-story.html
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:29 am    Post subject:

Larry Nance Jr. listed as questionable for Detroit game with sore right knee
by Mark Medina - insidesocal.com

Lakers rookie forward Larry Nance Jr. took an MRI exam on Saturday that showed swelling and soreness in his right knee. The Lakers (3-15) have listed Nance Jr. as questionable for Sunday’s game against the Detroit Pistons (11-9) at the Palace of Auburn Hills. But the Lakers are relieved that Nance Jr. did not suffer any cartilage or ligament tear after Hawks forward Paul Millsap accidentally fell into Nance Jr.

Nance Jr. missed Saturday’s practice. But he insisted that he feels fine, a remark that made Lakers coach Byron Scott chuckle.

“Every time he’s gotten a little banged up or something, I ask, ‘How are you feeling Larry Jr.? He said, I’m fine Coach,'” Scott said. “He’s always fine. If [his leg] was broken, he’d say, ‘I’m fine coach.'”

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:05 am    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:

To know Kobe Bryant is to understand one thing. He patterned his basketball career after Michael Jordan, with one major exception — he wanted to top Jordan in everything, primarily NBA championships.

It looked good for Bryant after the Lakers won a second consecutive title in 2010. He had five rings at age 31, with help that year from Pau Gasol's finesse, Lamar Odom's versatility, Derek Fisher's tranquillity and Metta World Peace's toughness.

A sixth never came for Bryant. He'll finish with one fewer championship than Jordan.

"Listen, I worked as hard as I [expletive] possibly could. I did everything I could," Bryant said Saturday. "I'm fine with that."

There was the 39-point demolition the Boston Celtics handed the Lakers in the clinching Game 6 of the 2008 Finals. More on that later this month, when Bryant visits TD Garden for the final time.

There was also that unsettling loss to the Detroit Pistons in the 2004 Finals, a five-game series that easily could have been a sweep. It's a theme Bryant would rather forget as he makes his last trip to the Palace for Sunday's game.

No question about it.
One of the shadiest Finals, until 2006 which should have been embarrassing to the league. The Celtics in 2008 was pretty bad also, but by then we were used to this. I never noticed it so strongly until 2004.

not 4peat, but cost that group a 4th ring.
it cost Shaq the 4peat, and his exit.
cost Payton/Malone a ring.
Billups is a joke.
Wallace was praised, and to this day, is NOT given enough credit for instigating the brawl (always considered a "gentle giant" BS). Artest took the brunt of that whole thing.
Just a free throw joke of a championship.
Wasted 0.4
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:22 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

No question about it.
One of the shadiest Finals, until 2006 which should have been embarrassing to the league. The Celtics in 2008 was pretty bad also, but by then we were used to this. I never noticed it so strongly until 2004.

Billups is a joke.
Wallace was praised, and to this day, is NOT given enough credit for instigating the brawl (always considered a "gentle giant" BS). Artest took the brunt of that whole thing.
Wasted 0.4

Malone would not have helped, in Bryant's opinion.

"I don't think it would have made much of a difference," Bryant said. "We didn't know how to run the offense. We didn't understand when to backdoor step, when to run a blind pig, when to run a reverse action.… We didn't understand any of that.

"Throughout the year, we weren't religious about how we executed our offense. We tried to rely on talent a lot more than the offense itself. We managed to pull a rabbit out of a hat and beat San Antonio. We were down 0-2 [in the conference semifinals]. But it caught up to us."

Thank you Kobe! I always found it comical how many around here think 40 yr old past his prime Malone was a 3 game swing in that series. We were beat easily 1 to 4. I can understand if the series was 3-3 and we lost cause we didn't have Malone. I could understand how he might have been a 1 game swing. But 3 games? I always said if Laker fans believe that, then they should be ashamed of the two guys who is supposed to be the most dominant duo in NBA history. That a championship series was in the hands of a 40 yr old Malone.

Even though Kobe won the only game for the Lakers, he was terrible the entire series. That was his worst finals ever. And from Kobe's quote, it doesn't seem like PJ did much coaching. The Pistons were simply better.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:49 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

No question about it.

Billups is a joke.
Wasted 0.4
Malone would not have helped, in Bryant's opinion.

"I don't think it would have made much of a difference," Bryant said. "We didn't know how to run the offense. We didn't understand when to backdoor step, when to run a blind pig, when to run a reverse action.… We didn't understand any of that.

"Throughout the year, we weren't religious about how we executed our offense. We tried to rely on talent a lot more than the offense itself. We managed to pull a rabbit out of a hat and beat San Antonio. We were down 0-2 [in the conference semifinals]. But it caught up to us."

Thank you Kobe! I always found it comical how many around here think 40 yr old past his prime Malone was a 3 game swing in that series. We were beat easily 1 to 4. I can understand if the series was 3-3 and we lost cause we didn't have Malone. I could understand how he might have been a 1 game swing. But 3 games? I always said if Laker fans believe that, then they should be ashamed of the two guys who is supposed to be the most dominant duo in NBA history. That a championship series was in the hands of a 40 yr old Malone.

Even though Kobe won the only game for the Lakers, he was terrible the entire series. That was his worst finals ever. And from Kobe's quote, it doesn't seem like PJ did much coaching. The Pistons were simply better.
With all the bashing that Byron has received and the unquestioned reputation of the Zen Mastee being perfect - especially in the playoffs, interesting to read about criticism of his coaching (something I saw during his tenure
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: