Who actually enjoys the current LG format? (OFFICIAL TOPICS)

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who likes the OFFICIAL threads?
Yes OFFICIAL threads
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
No OFFICIAL threads
86%
 86%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 23

Tim
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Who actually enjoys the current LG format? (OFFICIAL TOPICS)

Having been on this site for more than ten years, I personally would rather a list of one off topics that give me a chance to see and respond to many issues rather than search through a 250 page thread for a conversation that is probably over already.

Apologies as I have brought this up before (as have many others), but haven't seen a poll on it. I'm wondering what it would take to go back to how LG used to be.

My preferred format of lots of topics is like a twitter feed, read what you like and respond, or ignore and move on. This is SO much more engaging as a user.

I read where someone said it is selfish and lazy of me to not want to search through long threads. I agree. I am selfish and lazy AS ARE ALL OF US! But
this is about what actually engages the most people and makes the site as good as it can be for discussion.

Am I crazy? Anyone agree? LETS VOTE!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject:

This has been addressed by the mod team recently.

Not it to go find that post and paste it here
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject:

The alternative is a front page littered with 18 "OMG DLo Suxxxx" and "Fire Byron!!" threads. Keep in mind, most people already think their every thought should be a new thread.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
The alternative is a front page littered with 18 "OMG DLo Suxxxx" and "Fire Byron!!" threads. Keep in mind, most people already think their every thought should be a new thread.

That's a good point.
You should make a thread about that.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Dancing Barry has expressed his dislike of OFFICIAL threads multiple times but that hasn't stopped people from making them thus far... I'm not reading 200+ pages of repetition so I tend to just read the last page to catch the zeitgeist of the thread at that time and keep it moving...

ocho wrote:

That's true too...
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Who actually enjoys the current LG format? (OFFICIAL TOPICS)

Tim wrote:
Having been on this site for more than ten years, I personally would rather a list of one off topics that give me a chance to see and respond to many issues rather than search through a 250 page thread for a conversation that is probably over already.

Apologies as I have brought this up before (as have many others), but haven't seen a poll on it. I'm wondering what it would take to go back to how LG used to be.

My preferred format of lots of topics is like a twitter feed, read what you like and respond, or ignore and move on. This is SO much more engaging as a user.

I read where someone said it is selfish and lazy of me to not want to search through long threads. I agree. I am selfish and lazy AS ARE ALL OF US! But
this is about what actually engages the most people and makes the site as good as it can be for discussion.

Hey, I'm as selfish and lazy as they come, and I've never searched through 250 pages to find something to talk about.
Do you have an example of a thread topic that would be better to discuss as a stand-alone thread?
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Do not like the "official" threads. Never know what the topic du jur might be and end up reading about things I normally would pass on.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject:

The purpose of official threads is to harness most of the random posts about a single subject into one place. The exception is when there is something particularly noteworthy that it deserves a stand alone thread. It is also a way to have a lot of relevant stuff available in one place. The by the numbers thread is a much better read than trying to find 8 different threads about various metrics.
Jbar805
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject:

In all honesty, its annoying. Never know if there is something new about that particular player. I just don't go into the official threads anymore. I find that I spend less time on the site because of it.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Who actually enjoys the current LG format? (OFFICIAL TOPICS)

Tim wrote:

I virtually never look at the official threads, but I don't mind them. I just look at them as dumping grounds for a lot of repetitive threads that, if not checked, would overrun the board.

I'll sacrifice the once-in-a-blue-moon original posts to cut down on a huge amount of clutter. Most opinions and news items here tend to be recycled over and over in multiple threads, so it's pretty hard to miss anything important, even if you don't bother with 90% of the threads.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Who actually enjoys the current LG format? (OFFICIAL TOPICS)

activeverb wrote:
Tim wrote:

I virtually never look at the official threads, but I don't mind them. I just look at them as dumping grounds for a lot of repetitive threads that, if not checked, would overrun the board.

I'll sacrifice the once-in-a-blue-moon original posts to cut down on a huge amount of clutter. Most opinions and news items here tend to be recycled over and over in multiple threads, so it's pretty hard to miss anything important, even if you don't bother with 90% of the threads.

yea. if this is true ( i think so) and the real purpose of official threads is to dump repetitive content into it, why not just make a separate "official" subforum, and send all the repetitive threads there. I am like most here in this thread, i don't even read the official threads. once in a while, I'll jump to the page indicated i the thread title to find the latest news post. But that post belongs in an official thread, IMO...i like Chans way of having one thread with a lot of news topics inside for that sort of thing.

But official player threads are silly, IMO. Official Kobe thread? really? that's like 90% of the threads. I prefer the threads to be more specific subjects with a decent thread size of 5-10 pages, because that is easily read and digested. i don't mind a few repetitive threads...but i know a lot of people get bothered by multiple threads of the same subject (to which i say chillax). i think what should be enforced are the threads that are deliberately teasers ( the "..." threads or "look inside for more!").
Sleepy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:06 am    Post subject:

Only 31% off the entire front page are "normal" threads. It's hard to find original topics.

There are 10 sticky threads (22%) hogging up a lot of space at the top of the page. 36% of the threads on the first page are "official" threads. 5 are moved, merged, or locked.

So 69 (giggity) % of the threads on the main Laker forum are stale or unreadable content, essentially.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject:

I think it's important for the official threads to have their title updated with recent news, including the page number for where that news was posted

Otherwise, like many have said here, it feels like you may be missing out on the conversation
StatCoach
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject:

This probably wouldn't have been moved if you titled it:

OFFICIAL POLL: Current LG format
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject:

Sleepy wrote:
Only 31% off the entire front page are "normal" threads. It's hard to find original topics.

There are 10 sticky threads (22%) hogging up a lot of space at the top of the page. 36% of the threads on the first page are "official" threads. 5 are moved, merged, or locked.

So 69 (giggity) % of the threads on the main Laker forum are stale or unreadable content, essentially.

and THAT is what is annoying
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject:

We need official threads. This place would become too big a mess without them. As some mods said, everyone think their every thought deserves a thread.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject:

Personally, I think we have too many of them. I'd like to see more threads, more variety. There are benefits to them and they certainly contain some of the lunacy...but I would like to see a lot more threads that can hold their own even if they are similar to a player/coach thread.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Personally, I think we have too many of them. I'd like to see more threads, more variety. There are benefits to them and they certainly contain some of the lunacy...but I would like to see a lot more threads that can hold their own even if they are similar to a player/coach thread.

Agree completely. The current system of cramming everything related to one broad topic into one place defeats the purpose being able to easily discuss specifics.
Variant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Another vote against the official threads. Just makes me completely skip the main forum usually as none of the topics grab my attention or it's too hard to figure out where discussion of some recently developing thing is ongoing.

General NBA forum is much better.

Just need to find a balance...
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the input, guys. After some discussion in the Mod Forum, I think you'll see fewer thread merges going forward. Obviously we want to avoid 18 "Kobe Sucks" threads on the first page, but we also don't want "Official" threads to be dominating the front page either, and that's what they're doing.

FWIW, the "Official" title is rarely given by a mod, it's usually the OP. And then that place just becomes a general discussion thread about that player. I post a lot of idle thoughts that don't necessarily warrant it's own thread, so those work for me as a poster. But I also see why a 657 page thread may not be appealing.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Thanks for the input, guys. After some discussion in the Mod Forum, I think you'll see fewer thread merges going forward. Obviously we want to avoid 18 "Kobe Sucks" threads on the first page, but we also don't want "Official" threads to be dominating the front page either, and that's what they're doing.

FWIW, the "Official" title is rarely given by a mod, it's usually the OP. And then that place just becomes a general discussion thread about that player. I post a lot of idle thoughts that don't necessarily warrant it's own thread, so those work for me as a poster. But I also see why a 657 page thread may not be appealing.

kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:28 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

I was coming over to say that I just counted 17 official threads on the first page but it looks like you guys are in the process of fixing that. Keep up the good work.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:41 am    Post subject:

For what it's worth, Realcavsfans takes it to an extreme. They have a great board as well but they have literally a single Lebron thread, Kevin Love, Kyrie, so on and so forth. You can't find a damn thing there.

I think LG is doing it fine and the moderators do a great job of keeping noteworthy threads that could otherwise be under an "official" thread remain open.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: