A serious discussion about "OFFICIAL" threads (sorry if redundant)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: A serious discussion about "OFFICIAL" threads (sorry if redundant)

I've been on this forum since 2004- don't post all that much but find it a great place to read the thoughts and occasionally post on all things Lakers.

The enactment of the OFFICIAL threads to me has made this forum less interesting. I don't have the desire to sift through a million pages on a particular player or issue, and have to weed through posters personal discussions, to make a point or find an interesting point about which to comment.

Does anyone else agree on this? Sometimes it's great to log on and see a bunch of new threads about a specific topic. But under the massive OFFICIAL thread there are a lot of interesting new sub-topics geting buried.

I'm sure this has been hashed out already and forgive me if I'm beating a dead horse.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Seconded. (And wrong forum, heh)
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: A serious discussion about "OFFICIAL" threads (sorry if redundant)

Tim wrote:
I've been on this forum since 2004- don't post all that much but find it a great place to read the thoughts and occasionally post on all things Lakers.

The enactment of the OFFICIAL threads to me has made this forum less interesting. I don't have the desire to sift through a million pages on a particular player or issue, and have to weed through posters personal discussions, to make a point or find an interesting point about which to comment.

Does anyone else agree on this? Sometimes it's great to log on and see a bunch of new threads about a specific topic. But under the massive OFFICIAL thread there are a lot of interesting new sub-topics geting buried.

I'm sure this has been hashed out already and forgive me if I'm beating a dead horse.

Here's a brief reason why we do this:

1. There are certain subjects a lot of people post on, and it is nice for them to have a place to put those thoughts.

2. Not every thought is a thread.

3. Even thoughts that are worth a stand alone thread often are worth merging into a larger category eventually.

4. Every single different take about a subject starting a new thread would be tougher for most to sift through than sorted by subject.

5. This thread will be moved (but not merged ) to the proper forum.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject:

You're not the first person to bring this up.
DancingBarry wrote:
We have 13 "Official" threads in the Lounge. Way too many for my taste. More new threads, please.

As a poster who used to pollute LG with horrible threads regularly, I think the official threads are better than the alternative.
It's the lesser of 2 evils.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject:

FWIW, nothing personal, but the "I want to be able to find my sub-subjects without digging through the larger subject is kind of a self centered approach.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Is this thread official?
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject:

I think that "Official" threads should be general discussion about a Laker related topic, and a newsworthy event or otherwise undiscussed topic warrants it's own thread.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Yeah I agree way too many official threads, only redundant threads should be merged and I think some posters create official threads because they crave attention

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
FWIW, nothing personal, but the "I want to be able to find my sub-subjects without digging through the larger subject is kind of a self centered approach.

I think if the "Official" threads had a way of marking sub-subjects, people would be more amenable to it.

Or, if there could be a link from the thread title to the most recent sub-subject. Someomes it says "Latest Injury Update on So and So: Page 183" and the thread is page 223 already because people were talking about something completely unrelated to the injury.

I mean, why not just have one thread? Official Lakers Thread. And screw all the selfish people who don't want to navigate through dozens of pages to find a tooic. Haha.

You guys have a tough job though -- thankless and you can't pleas them all no matter what you do.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject:

The other reason it causes confusion is because of inconsistency. As a result, the meaning of an official thread is not always clear.

Why does the official kobe thread have two pages? But Randle's is 360?

Something is amiss. But it's tough on the mods to merge everything all of the time. So I say, just let nature take its course.

I like GT's suggsestion as an alternative.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
I think that "Official" threads should be general discussion about a Laker related topic, and a newsworthy event or otherwise undiscussed topic warrants it's own thread.

Exactly
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject:

I think you guys have done a nice job of handling these threads. When you are tasked with herding cats, there are always going to be a few strays.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject:

BTW, it's worth noting that there are a lot of "official" threads where the thread creator simply decides to put that word in the topic title. I promise there wasn't some conversation in the Mod Forum where we said, "You know, all of this Kobe Bryant appreciation is really cluttering up the board. We need an official thread."
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject:

is it really better to have giant threads with the title constantly updated to tell people where the latest news is at?

or is it better to have smaller threads with more descriptive titles, and just let the posting habits position it on top or bottom like it used to be?

i vote for the latter.

i think it's kind of silly to update the titles of these giant "official" threads. personally, i dread reading long threads, and i thoroughly enjoy a nice 5-pager.

I'd rather have 10 stupid 5-page threads, than one "good" or official 50 page thread.

one of the very few things i disliked about the previous system before all the merging/locking was the title teases. like the ones "Omg! kobe just..." but other than that and maybe a couple of other minor things, it was fine and fun. i'd say merge/lock threads where people are messing around with the titles, but let most of the other stuff go. we don't need to constantly figure out if threads are good enough or worthy of being it's own thread. i don't even understand why users care so much and demand mods to "lock it"...sheesh...why do you care?! ah...the headaches of running a forum!
Tim
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
is it really better to have giant threads with the title constantly updated to tell people where the latest news is at?

or is it better to have smaller threads with more descriptive titles, and just let the posting habits position it on top or bottom like it used to be?

i vote for the latter.

i think it's kind of silly to update the titles of these giant "official" threads. personally, i dread reading long threads, and i thoroughly enjoy a nice 5-pager.

I'd rather have 10 stupid 5-page threads, than one "good" or official 50 page thread.

one of the very few things i disliked about the previous system before all the merging/locking was the title teases. like the ones "Omg! kobe just..." but other than that and maybe a couple of other minor things, it was fine and fun. i'd say merge/lock threads where people are messing around with the titles, but let most of the other stuff go. we don't need to constantly figure out if threads are good enough or worthy of being it's own thread. i don't even understand why users care so much and demand mods to "lock it"...sheesh...why do you care?! ah...the headaches of running a forum!

Exactly--I much more enjoy ignoring posts that are dumb and click bait while picking the ones I want to discuss and/or read, than this OFFICIAL 250 page thread that you can't actually find any specific subject matter.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: A serious discussion about "OFFICIAL" threads (sorry if redundant)

24 wrote:
Tim wrote:

Here's a brief reason why we do this:

1. There are certain subjects a lot of people post on, and it is nice for them to have a place to put those thoughts.

2. Not every thought is a thread.

3. Even thoughts that are worth a stand alone thread often are worth merging into a larger category eventually.

4. Every single different take about a subject starting a new thread would be tougher for most to sift through than sorted by subject.

5. This thread will be moved (but not merged ) to the proper forum.

1. i agree for specific subjects. like if someone just got traded. but i don't think it should extend to topics that are too broad, for example, "the official dangelo russell thread".

2. true. but i'd rather be more relaxed on this because sometimes thos little thought threads are the most interesting, and with this rule enforced too much, the titles don't become descriptive enough and just become generic, boring titles. for this, i would be more flexible and merge/lock them if there were really too many, but not just as a principle. if there are 3 redundant threads on the front page, i don't care. if there are 10, then yes, clean it up. also, i'd rather lighten up on all the "it's already been posted" kind of attitude, because do we really want people searching through the forum for every thought? this is not a research site, so i just think that kind of attitude is out of place, save that for stack exchange or something.

3. this is true, but again, only as a last resort. at least wait long enough to see which thread becomes more popular or something. and if you wait that long, the other threads might go to page 3 or 4 anyway, so why merge it?

4. i disagree. i'd rather have several pages of redundant topics of smaller page counts, with different thread titles despite the subject being the same. I find it easier to sift through that than really large threads. because at least i can glance at the titles and get some understanding of what's inside (as well as the number of replies and views). with large threads, all that gets lost, and you don't even know or care if there is something good inside.

5. lol.

and i think i'm correct in assuming the only place this all matters is the front page of the lounge. who cares about the other pages, right? here are some thoughts on that. fewer stickies, if possible (i think the number of stickies now is fine, they all seem applicable). Don't merge or lock popular/active threads regardless of the reason...people are enjoying it, so why disrupt it? if a thread has been there a while and has low views/replies, do something with those threads....BUT, not immediately! let it sit for a few hours, give it a chance!

anyway, i just work here.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject:

I think I agree witht the OP...

there are too many officals and stickies in the lounge.... we have on almost every laker. if we need to can we sticky the:

Game thread
thoughts and ratings
highlights/lowlights/cachooka
Lakers in the News.

and just make 4 officials:
Byron Scott piss and moan
Front Office piss and moan
Kobe Bryant thread including the pissing and moaning
Rest of the team: pissing and moaning

lock all the other players that are irrelevant or just rooks and youngins. Hibbert definitely does not deserve his own thread. neither does Lou Williams. Nance, Randle, Russle and JC can go in rest of the team.

Please consider it. its making the lounge very difficult to read nowadays

Last edited by 999 on Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject:

We've cut way back on the number of threads that we merge or lock. Not sure exactly what you want us to do, and we're definitely not gonna be determining which Laker is worthy of his own thread.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
We've cut way back on the number of threads that we merge or lock. Not sure exactly what you want us to do, and we're definitely not gonna be determining which Laker is worthy of his own thread.

can we cut down on the stickies and officials... I mean tarik black has an official thread and Byron barely plays him. Anthony brown has an official thread. these guys are not worthy to have an official thread. these guys are not star players and they do not deserve their own thread.

why cant we determine which laker deserves its own thread?

cant we just have an official Kobe thread, an Official rest of the team thread and an official Rookie thread and the usual piss and moan threads

that make the board look a lot cleaner
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject:

Ok maybe Lou will can get his own thread if he continues to play like this but Hibbert black and brown. Those threads should be locked.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject:

It's now the end of October and the Lounge is now cluttered with multiple "Official [insert player's name] thread" threads which are hundreds of pages long and IMO makes it difficult to access any new information or newsworthy items if you're only visiting the site once or twice a day. Are the mods reconsidering the OP's suggestion or are you going to stick with the decision to merge pretty much everything into these threads?
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: A serious discussion about "OFFICIAL" threads (sorry if redundant)

Tim wrote:

Completely agree. The official threads have ruined LG for me. Almost every single player now has their own official thread. What happens when the front page ends up being nothing but official threads?
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject:

I hate "official" threads. I rarely enter them since the topics in there often contain no focus. I come here to engage and read about specific subjects. The only time they have any value is that when a terrible new thread is created, they can simply be lumped into the "official" thread. But they have definitely minimized the greatness of what LG once was. I miss out on a lot of good information as so many conversations now take place within those "official" threads instead of creating a topic when a topic is deserved.
Moises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject:

I'm also not feeling the official threads. It has changed the way I consume info from LG. It was much easier to browse the first page for a quick update on what was happening. Now, not so much.

The "official" threads are pretty much a fail in my view. A while back I noticed Nick Young with street clothes on the sideline (before the recent injury) and I came here to figure out what happened. Nothing in his "official" thread and no mention in the game thread. Tried to find a topic but I guess I must have missed it (or no one had created it). Never did find out what was wrong with him that game since he came back the very next one. Same thing with Larry Nance recently.

I tend not to look around LG as often as before. It's just much more difficult to find noteworthy information nowadays from LG. It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack now. Now I just come to LG for the game threads. Hopefully that doesn't get merged into one gigantic season long game thread lol!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject:

Moises wrote:
I'm also not feeling the official threads. It has changed the way I consume info from LG. It was much easier to browse the first page for a quick update on what was happening. Now, not so much.

The "official" threads are pretty much a fail in my view. A while back I noticed Nick Young with street clothes on the sideline (before the recent injury) and I came here to figure out what happened. Nothing in his "official" thread and no mention in the game thread. Tried to find a topic but I guess I must have missed it (or no one had created it). Never did find out what was wrong with him that game since he came back the very next one. Same thing with Larry Nance recently.

I tend not to look around LG as often as before. It's just much more difficult to find noteworthy information nowadays from LG. It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack now. Now I just come to LG for the game threads. Hopefully that doesn't get merged into one gigantic season long game thread lol!
i agree. there is absolutely no way i am able to find a specific story in those Official threads. At least there can be better forum tools like a "search in this thread" if mods are not willing to revert. Because when you are in a 1000 page thread and want to go to page 970 (you go to the "go to page" function and enter a page and press enter) it results in "The topic or post you requested does not exist" so why even have that feature there if it doesn't function properly..

anymore i browse the off topic forum and get my lakers news elsewhere since its nearly impossible to sift through those mega OFFICIAL threads and they are updated insonsistently
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: