Lakers in the News 9/28/15 - 10/04/15: Lakers vs. Jazz preview: Preseason is finally here
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Interesting quotes from David West about Hibbert.

I'll bet Hib has a great comeback season!

Yes. I am rooting for the big fella!
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject:

Training Camp Day 1 Pics

nolookpass
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
Kobe On D’Angelo Russell: ‘Very Calm Under Duress’
by Corey Hansford - lakersnation.com

With Kobe Bryant entering his 20th season, the question as to who will take the torch and lead the Los Angeles Lakers in the future remains a prevalent one. Many fans are hoping it will be rookie point guard D’Angelo Russell, the second overall pick in the 2015 NBA Draft.

After the first day of training camp, Kobe Bryant had some positive things to say about the rookie, speaking highly of his poise according to Lakers Nation reporter Serena Winters:

Kobe Bryant on what has impressed him about D'Angelo Russell already: "Great poise…very calm under duress"

http://www.lakersnation.com/kobe-bryant-on-dangelo-russell-very-calm-under-duress/2015/09/29/

Reading this made me think the following: wouldn't it be just awesome if a Russell leads the Lakers past those ugly Green goblins Out East in terms of total number of rings?
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:

Training Camp Day 1 Pics

Metta sure looks happy to be there, big smile in every pic.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:

Training Camp Day 1 Pics

Thanks for the Pics !!
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject:

Brandon Bass hopes to help young Lakers by being best version of himself
by Eric Pincus - latimes.com

In July, the Lakers added veteran Brandon Bass in free agency. Now in his 11th season, the 30-year-old hopes to help as both a player and a mentor.

"That's one way to be a mentor, by holding yourself accountable and having a routine, a routine that has worked for the last 10 years" said Bass. "I feel like the best version of you is going to help someone else."

The Lakers hope Bass will be a positive influence on second-year forward Julius Randle, a potential cornerstone piece for the future.

Bass learned early in his career with the New Orleans Hornets (now Pelicans) by watching teammates like David West and Chris Paul.

"In the NBA, I think I developed the pick and pop watching David West his first year," said Bass. "He and Chris Paul, their pick and pop was amazing."

"When you look around the league and you see the greats, you have to find something in that player that you can take with you," he continued. "That's kind of what I want to be [for the Lakers' younger players]."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-brandon-bass-help-young-lakers-20150929-story.html
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject:

D’Angelo Russell, Jordan Clarkson Building Chemistry Off The Floor
by Ryan Ward - lakersnation.com

It has been a rough couple of years for the Los Angeles Lakers. The storied franchise has missed the playoffs two years in a row while being unable to lure in big-name talent in NBA free agency.

Fortunately, there’s finally reasons for optimism in Los Angeles. The Lakers brass may have struck out in free agency, but have drafted well with some promising young players potentially paving the way for the future.

Most of the optimism in Los Angeles surrounds the backcourt additions of Jordan Clarkson and rookie D’Angelo Russell. The duo could eventually turn out to be a powerful one-two punch for the Lakers.

During media day at the team’s practice facility, Russell was asked whether he’s been building some chemistry with Clarkson. Russell said the chemistry started off the floor this summer:

“It’s been great. I feel like it starts off the court. We hang out a lot. Whenever he’s doing something he’ll call me let me know, vice versa. So I feel like that’s where it starts and then when we get on the court, I mean, throughout the summer we played against each other a lot and then we got the opportunity to play with each other the last few days of summer.

“It’s great. I just want to get the opportunity to showcase it as soon as possible.”

http://www.lakersnation.com/dangelo-russell-jordan-clarkson-building-chemistry-off-the-floor/2015/09/30/
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Robert Upshaw Feels He Can Contribute This Season
by Corey Hansford - lakersnation.com

Before the 2015 NBA Draft, many fans were calling for the Los Angeles Lakers to take a chance on talented but troubled center, Robert Upshaw. Every team wound up passing on Upshaw giving the Lakers the chance to bring him on as part of their Summer League team. It didn’t take long before there were reports about the two sides agreeing to a multi-year deal.

Despite the reports, however, a contract wasn’t signed until months later. Upshaw underwhelmed during Summer League as his conditioning was subpar and he made little impact when on the floor. Since then, however, he has worked to lose weight and improve his stamina.

At Lakers Media Day, Upshaw spoke about his goals being to not only make the team, but to contribute this year:

"For me, honestly it’s really showing that I can play. I feel I can go out here and play, make this roster, and play this year. It’s just, I have to continue to grow, I have to continue to develop my game as I’ve been doing and I don’t think there’s anything that can stop that but me."

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-robert-upshaw-feels-he-can-contribute-this-season/2015/09/30/
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject:

Lakers Training Camp Recap: Day 2
by Serena Winters - lakersnation.com

The Los Angeles Lakers scrimmaged for about 25-30 minutes during their morning session of their first two-a-day practice on their second day of training camp in Hawaii. Originally scheduled for two hours, their practice ran about 45 minutes over schedule. Head coach Byron Scott said he was definitely pleased with the effort from his players during Day 2, even though the offense was sloppy, which Scott expected to be the case.

Kobe Bryant scrimmaged for the first time since his injury on Tuesday and said he felt great. Bryant was pleased that he was able to get to all the spots he wanted to on the floor, and said his focus right now is more on his pacing and rhythm.

During scrimmages, Scott said he liked what he saw with Bryant at small forward, D’Angelo Russell running the point and Jordan Clarkson at the two. He also said that when Kobe, Russell, Clarkson and Randle are on the floor together, any one of those guys should feel free to push the ball and try to get an easy basket. On playing small forward, Bryant said it’s actually easier for him, because he doesn’t have to worry about running the offense.

“That’s been my spot for years,” Bryant said about playing small forward. “D’Angelo and Jordan, these guys can handle the ball and make incredible decisions and make plays, it makes it a lot easier on me.”

http://www.lakersnation.com/2015-16-lakers-training-camp-recap-day-2/2015/09/30/
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject:

D’Angelo Russell already has Kobe Bryant’s trust
by Mark Medina - dailynews.com

The restlessness overwhelmed D’Angelo Russell, prompting the Lakers rookie point guard to toss and turn before waking up at an ungodly hour before the first day of training camp.

Russell could not wait for his workout, so he could break a sweat, build a rhythm and impress an influential and demanding teammate.

But Kobe Bryant already beat him to the punch. The Lakers’ star already completed his own before anyone else.

“He’s going to push you. So you have to be one of those guys that will compete,” Russell said. “To build a trust with a guy like that, you need to be a winner.”

The Lakers completed two days of training camp at Stan Sheriff Center, too small of a sample size to offer any conclusions on whether Russell will fit that description for the 2015-16 NBA season.

Yet, the Lakers feel convinced their No. 2 pick is a winner after falling in love with his confidence and playmaking. Bryant also already likes what he sees.

“He has my trust already because he’s a gym rat,” Bryant said. “He loves playing the game. I trust that whatever challenges are presented to him, he’ll figure them out.”

There could be plenty.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20150930/lakers-dangelo-russell-already-has-kobe-bryants-trust
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Kobe Bryant at small forward? Lakers coach Byron Scott is toying with the idea
by Bill Oram - ocregister.com

The Lakers have a long way to go before Byron Scott settles on his lineups, but the coach offered a peek Wednesday, the second day of training camp in Hawaii, of what he has in mind.

It’s a lineup fans would likely be delighted with.

In a full-court five-on-five scrimmage, Kobe Bryant appeared at small forward, D’Angelo Russell and Jordan Clarkson anchored the backcourt and Julius Randle played power forward. Roy Hibbert was at center.

“I think the more those guys can play together, the better,” Scott said. “I’m going to try that out this first week, see how it goes and then I’ll start mixing and matching a little bit more. It looked good.”

That it was the first unit Scott wanted to see could be telling. Among the questions expected to be answered in the weeks before the Oct. 28 season opener are whether Randle and Russell will be eased into big roles, or start right away.

Bryant at small forward was not so much a surprise as it was strange to see. Scott has frequently discussed giving Bryant time on the wing, which in theory could reduce the amount of strain required for him to get open shots.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/bryant-685524-scott-randle.html
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Lakers 5-On-5 Scrimmage Video: Training Camp Day 2

lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:13 am    Post subject:

Julius Randle much happier without playing restrictions
by Mark Medina - insidesocal.com

Everyone moved out of Julius Randle’s way, as the Lakers forward sprinted his way up the court eager to show something he could not for eleven painful months.

The Lakers were nearing the end of a 30-minute full-court scrimmage on Wednesday here at Stan Sheriff Center when a fast-break opportunity emerged. Before the defense had any time to set up, Randle cut into the lane. His teammate, Lou Williams, made eye contact. Then, Williams lofted up an alley-oop that Randle threw down with force.

This only marked the second day of the Lakers’ training camp. But those days have meant everything to Randle, who played only 14 minutes in his NBA rookie year before fracturing his right tibia and sitting out the rest of the season. Even when he healed enough to play in Summer League two months ago, Randle averaged only 20.5 minutes per game and sat out in a back-to-back. This time, the Lakers have released Randle’s handcuffs.

“It’s been good,” Randle said, a smile forming as he said those words. “It’s been a year. It was amazing.”

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2015/09/30/lakers-julius-randle-much-happier-without-playing-restrictions/
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject:

D'Angelo Russell starts on the good foot with Kobe

by Baxter Holmes - espn.go.com

D'Angelo Russell couldn’t help but stare at Kobe Bryant as the two practiced side by side Tuesday, when the Los Angeles Lakers opened training camp at the University of Hawaii at Manoa’s Stan Sheriff Center here.

“You try to keep it off your mind like, yo, this guy is not right beside you running the three-man drill,” said Russell, the Lakers’ No. 2 overall pick in the 2015 draft.

“Something you got to get past, if we want to be the best we can be. We’ve got to look at him as a mentor, not look at him as a fan [would].”

Russell was eight months and 11 days old when Bryant made his NBA debut, and now this could well be Bryant’s final NBA season, during which he’ll be expected to mentor the team’s young players, especially Russell.

“Just little details about the game here and there, but he loves the game, you know?” Bryant said of Russell. “When you have a player that loves the game it’s really just my responsibility to make sure he never loses sight of that. Through difficult moments and even the great moments, always just focus on the love of the game. Once you have that you’ll problem solve everything. Right? Once you stay focused on that. It’s my job to really keep him locked in.”

Bryant said he’s already been impressed by Russell.

http://espn.go.com/blog/losangeles-lakers/post/_/id/41831/dangelo-russell-starts-on-the-good-foot-with-kobe
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject:

D'Angelo Russell injures foot
by Mike Bresnahan - latimes.com

D'Angelo Russell limped to the sideline Thursday, not a great sign for the No. 2 pick in the draft. Or the Lakers.

Russell made it through the morning practice session with a bone bruise on the bottom of his right foot, though the Lakers weren't sure if he would sit out the afternoon session, or maybe even Friday's practice.

Russell tried to downplay the soreness and knocked an iPhone out of Roy Hibbert's hands when his teammate tried to snap a picture of the foot.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-training-camp-day-3-htmlstory.html
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject:

I found it funny that these two posts were right after each other

Quote:

Quote:
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject:

^ lol
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Lakers Training Camp Recap: Day 3
by Serena Winters - lakersnation.com

The Los Angeles Lakers first practice on Day 3 of training camp involved plenty of 5-on-5 scrimmaging to go along with conditioning. And, unlike yesterday, where in the very limited amount of time the media was allowed to watch, Kobe Bryant didn’t appear too involved in the offense, Bryant was very active on Thursday.

“Definitely,” head coach Byron Scott said about wanting to get Bryant more involved offensively this morning. “If we can get him to the elbow and on the mid-wing and the mid-post, he can be so effective for us, as far as just making shots and making passes and plays for other guys, I just think it’s great he’s working with the other guys so well.”

D’Angelo Russell suffered a minor setback, a bone bruise in his right foot, which he didn’t seem worried about. Scott said Russell participated in all of practice, with the exception of about 5-6 minutes of scrimmaging and the running drills and says he is not ruled out for the evening session. However, if Russell still feels soreness, they will take precautionary measures and sit him out.

http://www.lakersnation.com/2015-16-lakers-training-camp-recap-day-3/2015/10/01/
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject:

Lakers 5-On-5 Scimmage Footage: Training Camp Day 3 (Game 1)

Kobe with the two handed slam

Lakers 5-On-5 Scrimmage Footage: Training Camp Day 3 (Game 2)

by Lakers Nation

Last edited by lakersfreak on Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject:

Lou Williams Amazed By D'Angelo Russell & Jordan Clarkson's Leadership
by Lakers Nation
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:29 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
I found it funny that these two posts were right after each other

Quote:

Quote:

LOL! Freaking Kobe! Andrew Bynum knows all too well about Kobe's foot injuring fetish.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:02 am    Post subject:

Kobe involved, 'effective' in practice
by Bill Oram - ocregister.com

For all the talk from Day 2 of Lakers training camp about Kobe Bryant not getting many – OK, any – touches on offense in the portions of the scrimmage open to media, Day 3 was a different story.

Bryant, who participated in the first of two practices at the Stan Sheriff Center on Thursday, was predictably more involved in the offense, even while D’Angelo Russell and Jordan Clarkson take care of the ball handling.

“Looked like Kobe to me,” new teammate Lou Williams said. “He looks like the guy I’ve always been used to watching growing up, and today was no different.”

Coach Byron Scott said it’s only natural that Bryant would ramp things up throughout training camp, and it’s still very early.

“In my mind,” Scott said, “that’s just hot spots. If we can get him on the elbow and on the mid-wing, mid-post, he can be so effective for us, as he was today.”

Unlike the day before, Bryant was not relegated to the corner. He worked from the baseline and the high post, running his defenders off screens and getting mid-range jumpers.

“As far as just making shots and making passes and making plays for other guys,” Scott said, “I think it’s just great that he’s working with his other guys as well.”

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/scott-685707-rookies-huertas.html
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject:

Roy Hibbert believes he will overcome early conditioning issues
by Mark Medina - dailynews.com

The Lakers’ big men stood side by side on the baseline, waiting for coach Byron Scott to blow his whistle before laboring through another conditioning drill.

Within seconds, Lakers center Roy Hibbert already was a few seconds behind everyone else. That routine lasted for several minutes at the end of the Lakers’ morning session on Wednesday at Stan Sheriff Center, leaving Hibbert hunching over to catch his breath once he finished. He then needed a few minutes to clear his mind before talking with Los Angeles News Group.

“I haven’t done sprints like that since I was in college [at Georgetown],” the 28-year-old Hibbert said. “But most of the time when we ran, I was dead-last by a considerable amount.”

Hibbert spent his seven-year NBA career with the Indiana Pacers before they traded him this past offseason to the Lakers. The Pacers made the move despite receiving only a second-round draft pick, eager to shed themselves of his expiring $15.5 million contract. But Indiana’s trade also reflected Hibbert’s struggle to adapt to the franchise’s shift toward fielding a quicker and smaller lineup.

But despite finishing last in the conditioning drills that were open to reporters on Wednesday, Hibbert still argued he’s “doing all right.” After losing 15 pounds of fat and changing his diet this offseason, Hibbert maintained his investment will soon net some long-term gains.

“I don’t want to finish last. So I’ll keep at it,” Hibbert said. “I knew what I was getting myself into when I came here. That’s why I prepared myself during the summer by running a lot more than I have in the past.”

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20151001/lakers-roy-hibbert-believes-he-will-overcome-early-conditioning-issues
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject:

^It's definitely a concern though
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject:

if Roy is that winded AFTER running all summer and losing 15lbs...yeesh.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: