Lakers in the News 7/27/15: Can Kobe make transition to small forward for Lakers? 'I can do that'

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:30 am    Post subject: Lakers in the News 7/27/15: Can Kobe make transition to small forward for Lakers? 'I can do that'

Roy Hibbert Determined To Make An Impression In L.A.
by Ryan Ward - lakersnation.com

Veteran center Roy Hibbert had a rough year in his last season with the Indiana Pacers. The team was torn apart by injuries with star forward Paul George going down before the season began and Hibbert struggled to play up to his potential.

Ultimately, the Pacers decided to go in a different direction this summer and traded Hibbert to the Los Angeles Lakers for nothing more than a second-round draft pick in 2019.

It was somewhat of an ugly divorce with the Pacers for Hibbert and now the two-time NBA All-Star appears determined to prove his worth with a fresh start in Los Angeles. Hibbert has already embraced his new surroundings, changed his diet and lost 16 pounds, according to Lakers reporter Mike Trudell:

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-roy-hibbert-determined-to-make-an-impression-in-l-a/2015/07/26/

Last edited by lakersfreak on Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:11 am; edited 2 times in total
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:31 am    Post subject:

Trainer Gary Vitti, who's cared for Lakers legends, nears end of watch
by Mike Bresnahan - latimes.com

The Mercedes-Benz had a navy blue exterior and tan interior, Gary Vitti reminded himself as he walked out of an LAX terminal and toward a job he wasn't even sure he wanted.

He was happy being the head athletic trainer at the University of Portland, not to mention an adjunct professor, and had already tasted a bit of the NBA via two years as an assistant trainer with the Utah Jazz.

When he saw the Mercedes, Vitti jumped into it and was immediately negative, complaining about the traffic in Los Angeles.

The driver was Lakers General Manager Jerry West, who took Vitti a few miles east for a three-hour interview at the Forum. Then Vitti met Coach Pat Riley, who was direct, even a little intimidating, when he said, "You're not 'scarred' yet. I can mold you into being the best."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-vitti-kobe-20150727-story.html#page=1
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:34 am    Post subject:

Lakers' Jordan Clarkson looks to build on impressive rookie debut
by James Herbert - cbssports.com

Jordan Clarkson thinks about the number 46 a lot. The Los Angeles Lakers guard will never forget slipping into the second half of the second round in the 2014 NBA Draft. In the last 13 months he's already made most of the league regret passing on him, earned first-team All-Rookie honors and become a major part of the Lakers' future. Asked what he remembers about the night he became a pro, he spoke succinctly.

“Sitting there and waiting forever to get my name called,” Clarkson said. “That was it.”

Most second-round picks would tell you they use that memory as motivation. Few of them mean it like Clarkson, who re-watched the draft around 10 times over the course of his rookie season.

Los Angeles went just 21-61 last year, but Clarkson was the bright spot. After the All-Star break, he averaged 16.7 points, 5.4 assists and 4.6 rebounds per game, shooting 48 percent from the field. This month at Summer League, he almost always looked like the best player on the floor. Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak told SiriusXM that he sees Clarkson and No. 2 pick D'Angelo Russell, whose presence is the season's only other silver lining, being backcourt partners for the next 10-12 years.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25250379/lakers-jordan-clarkson-looks-to-exceed-expectations-after-impressive-rookie-season
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:35 am    Post subject:

Nick Young looks to next Lakers season, trying to ignore trade rumors
by Broderick Turner - latimes.com

The constant trade chatter left Nick Young in a funk, the player known as "Swaggy P" trying to come to grips on why the Lakers wanted to move him.

Young is still with the Lakers, and he hopes to finish out the three years left on a four-year, $21.5-million contract he signed last summer.

It has been a "little bit" difficult for Young to ignore the trade nose.

"It's been tough at times," Young said Sunday after his game-winning three-pointer as time expired in double overtime helped his team, Most Hated Players, defeat a team called Problems in the pro-am Drew League at King Drew High.

"I still stayed in the gym, still did what I was supposed to do, trying to block out everything and just still have fun. You never know what's going to happen — especially in free agency when you hear your name in ever rumor and in every trade talk. It feels like Pau Gasol."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-nick-young-20150727-story.html
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:36 am    Post subject:

Robert Upshaw Not Expected To Be A ‘Rotation Player’ If Signed
by Ryan Ward - lakersnation.com

After Robert Upshaw went undrafted on June 25, the Los Angeles Lakers reached out to the troubled 21-year-old and ultimately were able to add him to the team’s NBA Summer League roster.

Bringing in Upshaw appeared to be a smart move for the Lakers due to a low risk, high reward situation with the promising young center. There’s been talk of the team finalizing a multi-year deal with the rookie, but a contract has yet to be signed.

Recently, Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak talked about Upshaw’s status with the team and how he’ll be used in his first season in Los Angeles if ultimately signed, via Lakers.com:

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-robert-upshaw-not-expected-to-be-a-rotation-player-if-signed/2015/07/26/
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:41 am    Post subject:

Tarik Black Needs To Have Solid Training Camp With Los Angeles Lakers
by Brendan Patel - rantsports.com

Tarik Black joined the Los Angeles Lakers in the middle of last season, and was given plenty of playing time due to all of the injuries throughout the roster. He did a good enough job despite the team being severely under talented, and has a non-guaranteed contract for next season. The Lakers have quite a few big men on their roster right now, and Black will have to battle to earn one of the last spots. He needs to have a strong training camp to prove to the coaches that he belongs with the team.

Black is not a flashy player, but he does all of the little things to help his team win games. He plays hard on every possession, and never backs down from anyone. He challenges every shot, goes after every rebound, and gives his team a toughness despite being slightly undersized. He makes up for his lack of height at the position with strength and desire, as well as decent athleticism and measurables.

http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2015/07/27/tarik-black-needs-to-have-solid-training-camp-with-los-angeles-lakers/
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:45 am    Post subject:

Kobe Bryant Shouldn’t Go Out Like This
by Bobby Ilich - ibtimes.com

It was of little surprise that legendary guard Kobe Bryant, who has five chamionships to his credit and is the No. 3 all-time leading scorer, is so disenchanted about the upcoming 2015-2016 season that he opted to not reach out to three recently signed veteran teammates.

It’s not surprising because the vacationing Bryant, who will be playing in the final year of his contract with the Los Angeles Lakers, is fully aware that Brandon Bass, Roy Hibbert and Lou Williams are not the sufficient reinforcements needed to help Bryant lift another Larry O’Brien Trophy and match his idol Michael Jordan in championships. It certainly didn’t strike forthright pundit Charles Barkley that the ultracompetitive Bryant displayed reticence about the trio’s arrival, prior to their introductory press conference on Wednesday.

"Do I think it's unusual? No. Kobe is a loner,” Barkley told ESPN’s “Mike & Mike” on Thursday. “He's obviously one of the 10 greatest basketball players ever, and he's always treated me with respect. But he's a loner. He's got a one-track mind as far as basketball goes, and I don't think he's the type of guy -- doesn't make him a bad guy -- who's gonna reach out to guys like that. He will see them in training camp."

Had the Lakers signed LaMarcus Aldridge, Marc Gasol and Rajon Rondo, Bryant would have not only called, he would have been at the press conference to pose in a picture with them. He would also be wearing his widest grin since June 2010 when the Lakers knocked off the Boston Celtics in Game 7 at Staples Center.

http://www.ibtimes.com/lakers-news-kobe-bryant-shouldnt-go-out-2024785
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject:

Mitch Kupchak Says The New Lakers Have To Prove Themselves To Kobe Bryant
by Jordan White - uproxx.com

Just in case you thought this year would be any less dysfunctional for the Los Angeles Lakers, Mitch Kupchak is here to assure you it will be just as absurd.

Kobe Bryant is in the last year of his deal with the Lakers, and is coming off yet another major surgery. It’s as plain as day that he’s diminished as a player.

Yet, for some reason, Kupchak thinks all of the new Lakers have to prove themselves to Kobe, as he said in an interview with Sirius XM NBA.

http://uproxx.com/dimemag/2015/07/mitch-kupchak-los-angeles-lakers-rookies-prove-themselves-kobe-bryant/
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject:

Can Kobe make transition to small forward for Lakers? 'I can do that'
by Ananth Pandian - cbssports.com

With the emergence of Jordan Clarkson and the potential of rookie D'Angelo Russell, the Los Angeles Lakers have their backcourt set for the future. The Lakers lineup of Russell and Clarkson looks promising, but it does force Kobe Bryant to play at small forward, which is not his usual position. However, Bryant sees no problem shifting from the shooting guard position.

From a Los Angeles Times profile on the retiring Lakers' head trainer Gary Vitti:

Vitti is often an emissary between players and management. He recently met up with Bryant, with whom he shares a longtime bond.

"He was asking about our young kids, and I said, 'You cannot believe how quick and athletic Jordan Clarkson is. He looks fantastic,'" Vitti said. "I said I personally thought D'Angelo Russell is going to be a star. He makes hard things look easy when he has the ball in his hands.

"Then Kobe said to me, 'Well, then who's going to play [small forward]?' I looked at him and I said, 'You.' And with absolute, 100% confidence, he said, 'I can do that.'"

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25251296/can-kobe-make-transition-to-small-forward-for-lakers-i-can-do-that
Iversondalivest1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:

With the emergence of Jordan Clarkson and the potential of rookie D'Angelo Russell, the Los Angeles Lakers have their backcourt set for the future. The Lakers lineup of Russell and Clarkson looks promising, but it does force Kobe Bryant to play at small forward, which is not his usual position. However, Bryant sees no problem shifting from the shooting guard position.

From a Los Angeles Times profile on the retiring Lakers' head trainer Gary Vitti:

Vitti is often an emissary between players and management. He recently met up with Bryant, with whom he shares a longtime bond.

"He was asking about our young kids, and I said, 'You cannot believe how quick and athletic Jordan Clarkson is. He looks fantastic,'" Vitti said. "I said I personally thought D'Angelo Russell is going to be a star. He makes hard things look easy when he has the ball in his hands.

"Then Kobe said to me, 'Well, then who's going to play [small forward]?' I looked at him and I said, 'You.' And with absolute, 100% confidence, he said, 'I can do that.'"

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25251296/can-kobe-make-transition-to-small-forward-for-lakers-i-can-do-that

Didnt kobe start of in the nba as an SF? I thought it was during phil jacksons first season with the lakers he was turned into an SG.
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:

Just in case you thought this year would be any less dysfunctional for the Los Angeles Lakers, Mitch Kupchak is here to assure you it will be just as absurd.

Kobe Bryant is in the last year of his deal with the Lakers, and is coming off yet another major surgery. It’s as plain as day that he’s diminished as a player.

Yet, for some reason, Kupchak thinks all of the new Lakers have to prove themselves to Kobe, as he said in an interview with Sirius XM NBA.

http://uproxx.com/dimemag/2015/07/mitch-kupchak-los-angeles-lakers-rookies-prove-themselves-kobe-bryant/

And we wonder why players will not come here. It's this "God" mentality we have in LA regarding Kobe. Dude is on the way out now, he can be the one to validate players coming to the team. We have no idea what Kobe can do anyways. Gimme a break.
Agent P
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Iversondalivest1 wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

Didnt kobe start of in the nba as an SF? I thought it was during phil jacksons first season with the lakers he was turned into an SG.

Nope, SG from day one.
Agent P
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Behind Eddie Jones
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject:

LakersMDGurl wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

And we wonder why players will not come here. It's this "God" mentality we have in LA regarding Kobe. Dude is on the way out now, he can be the one to validate players coming to the team. We have no idea what Kobe can do anyways. Gimme a break.

I didnt want Aldridge or Melo anyway. Neither could handle the spotlight and heat of LA imo anyway?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: