Grade our complete draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you grade our draft?
A
17%
 17%  [ 21 ]
B
50%
 50%  [ 59 ]
C
20%
 20%  [ 24 ]
D
9%
 9%  [ 11 ]
F
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 117

nextphenom23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Thank you for your comments. You're right we chose Wafer over Ukic. I hope that doesnt hunt us. Taft is there for the taking and we dont draft him. That's another mistake. I mean if you're going to get Wafer why not get Taft, very similar in my book. Wafer has attitude problems and Taft just has no desire.

I gave us a C. Because the potential is high on Bynum. Plus I feel like a trade is in the works involving Bynum.

The Spurs will never live up to the dynasty we created
KA_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject:

Taft, like Wilcox, will prove to be a bust of epic proportions. From all accounts these are Kwame Brown clones.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject:

C for now, but a couple of years from now, that could change to an A++.

Bynum could be a bust, he could be the next Shaq, he could be somewhere in between.

That's what I'll judge this draft on.

Times have changed. Trades for a young stud big are rare at best these days. With the new age limit, it's going to get even harder to get them at the bottom of the draft.

If Bynum had even a slightly above decent freshman year at Uconn, he would be the #1 pick next year. I doubt the Lakers would have a shot at him then.

It's a risk, a big one, but if it pays off, Mitch just got the Lakers the rarest of commodities.
djb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject:

B.

Bynum is alright, but Turiaf will be able to help out immediately.
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Solid B for now with an incomplete for the 10th pick. What I like is Mitch finally taking a gamble instead of the safe pick.

Taft from all report did extremely poor in his workouts. Unmotivated and almost quit when he was dominated by other draftees during workouts. I think some one from the Lakers said he suffers from Elden Campbellitis.

Turiaf is a very good pick, the guy is tough with a NBA body who can come in and contribute right away. Again, the guy speaks four languages so he's another players with some smarts like the Madsen, Walton type but with athleticism.

Only disappointment is the 39th pick, Ukic would be my choice or else Thompson from UCLA.
expertla
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject:

DocK36 wrote:
Solid B for now with an incomplete for the 10th pick. What I like is Mitch finally taking a gamble instead of the safe pick.

Taft from all report did extremely poor in his workouts. Unmotivated and almost quit when he was dominated by other draftees during workouts. I think some one from the Lakers said he suffers from Elden Campbellitis.

Turiaf is a very good pick, the guy is tough with a NBA body who can come in and contribute right away. Again, the guy speaks four languages so he's another players with some smarts like the Madsen, Walton type but with athleticism.

Only disappointment is the 39th pick, Ukic would be my choice or else Thompson from UCLA.

Agreed.

Very difficult to pass up Bynum. How many 7 foot, 285 “athletic, intellegent” centers are in the league? You can count them on one hand.

Turiaf plays hard with great energy around the basket. That alone (for this team) justifies the pick

If Taft could not find a way to motivate himself prior to the draft. There is no need to waist time with him.

The Wayer pick is a mystery to me. Although I didn't spend hours assessing workouts either.
TheGreat8
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject:

I give us a solid "B"

10. Bynum-There is no doubting his size but considering the fact he often played down to his competition is what leads me to believe there is an imense amount of untapped potential. He was primaily used to playing against guys he was about half a foot taller than and outweighed by about 60-100 pounds. With his move to the NBA it looks like he is clearly dedicating himself seeing how he droped 25-30 pounds. He knows what he needs to do by improving his stamina, stregnth, footwork and range.

37. Turiaf-Love the pick! I do not think we could have taken a better player at this selection. Unlike some other big men avliable at 37 Turiaf does not have attitude issues. He is a bette rebounder than his stats would indicate and he has a pretty good set of offensive tools. He is rugged, hard nosed, and will do anything possible to help his team win. IMO, Turiaf I think is comparable to a young Brian Grant. He gave up a lot by leaving France to come to Gonzaga to be where he is now and it looks like that will soon pay off.

39. Wafer-I think this pick was somewhat of a panic pick. Even though I heard in the days leading to the draft Wafer was rising up many draft boards it was suprising to see him selected #39. I really do feel Mitch had his eye on the senior college combo gaurds. Hodge, Head, Salim and Ewing were probably his ideal targets but they all went ahead of where Mitch expected. Matt Walsh would have been another good alternative if he was looking for a shooter but Wafer is more athletic and has more overall ability than Walsh. Monta Ellis would have also been a good option but he would not be able to contribute much right away.

Mitch had the right things in mind but the cards all did not fall his way. If we would have been able to snag Hodge, Head, Salim or Ewing I would have given our draft an "A."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: