Lakers in the News: 2/27/14: The Swaggy P Brigade --- Lakers lose and D'Antoni defends his system

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Lakers in the News: 2/27/14: The Swaggy P Brigade --- Lakers lose and D'Antoni defends his system

Quote:
Lakers Star Changes Lives by Launching Swaggy P Brigade during Black History Month

Published on Thursday, 27 February 2014 00:02
Written by Sentinel News Service generalinfo ( a t ) lasentinel.net

Lakers star Nick “Swaggy P” Young hosted 60 South Los Angeles youth from four Los Angeles Brotherhood Crusade youth development programs in three Staples Center suites on Sunday, February 23.

In honor of Black History Month and as a demonstration of his support for well-deserving young men and women of color throughout the year, Lakers star Nick “Swaggy P” Young hosted 60 South Los Angeles youth from four Los Angeles Brotherhood Crusade youth development programs in three Staples Center suites on Sunday, February 23, when the Los Angeles Lakers played host to the Brooklyn Nets.

Young, who played for Cleveland High School in Reseda, California and earned All PAC-10 First Team honors while playing for USC, said he understands and appreciates the resiliency and strength South Los Angeles youth demonstrate as they navigate all too familiar challenges on a daily basis. It is this ability to overcome and thrive that the Lakers star desires to lift up and highlight by launching the Swaggy P Brigade, a collection of young people who are engaged in self actualization and self improvement programming in order to maximize their opportunity to succeed in school and in life and, simultaneously, serve as change agents and social justice advocates in order to help their families and their peers do the same.

- See more at: http://www.lasentinel.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12692&catid=80&Itemid=170#sthash.iGjBkDzz.dpuf

Last edited by Cha*n on Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:17 am; edited 2 times in total
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject:

Quote:
New drama but same old ending in Lakers' 108-103 loss to Memphis

Pau Gasol complains about the Lakers' play in Tuesday night loss at Indiana, Mike D'Antoni defends his system, and then the Lakers lose against the Grizzlies.

By Mike Bresnahan
February 26, 2014, 9:45 p.m.
MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Another loss was swallowed up by the theatrics surrounding it, a common theme nowadays for the Lakers.
Coach Mike D'Antoni didn't necessarily disagree with Pau Gasol's dour thoughts on the Lakers' offense. Yes, there had been too much one-on-one action.
But D'Antoni definitely didn't like Gasol sharing his opinion publicly.
Also

Photos: Lakers vs. Grizzlies

Kent Bazemore tries not to get caught up in Lakers drama

Kendall Marshall is in a funk, just like rest of Lakers

Pau Gasol isn't happy after the Lakers are crushed by Pacers, 118-98

Lakers' Kent Bazemore is making his presence known in new ways

"The thing I just don't appreciate, and I think every coach [too], you just keep it in house," D'Antoni said Wednesday before the Lakers lost to Memphis, 108-103. "It's very easy just to come over and talk [privately] about your frustrations. We'll try to work something out. But to go to you [media] guys and to do it in the papers, that's disturbing. I just don't think that's the way to go. People should understand that we're all trying to solve the same problems."
BOX SCORE: Memphis Grizzlies 108, Lakers 103
Gasol, however, didn't think he said anything out of the ordinary after pointing out the Lakers exhibited "too many individual actions" in a 118-98 loss Tuesday to Indiana.
"Yes, there was some frustration but I don't think there was nothing out of line or nothing that went too far," Gasol said Wednesday. "I stated something obvious to me. I don't think I said anything too crazy."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-grizzlies-20140227,0,655398.story#ixzz2uWDSlAYY
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Farmar going through Gasol, win or lose
February, 26, 2014
FEB 26
11:06
PM PT
By Dave McMenamin
ESPNLosAngeles.com

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Jordan Farmar scanned the visitor's locker room at FedEx Forum at halftime Wednesday.

His Los Angeles Lakers had already dug themselves a 19-point hole through the first two quarters to the Memphis Grizzlies -- a night after being outscored by 17 in the final two quarters at Indiana, meaning Farmar and the rest of the guys had been through a full game's worth of blowout city up to that point.

[+] Enlarge
Justin Ford/USA TODAY Sports
Jordan Farmar, right, made sure the Lakers would make the second half in Memphis respectable by flowing the offense through Pau Gasol.
The point guard wondered to himself who in the room could save them from having the final stretch of their season becoming a complete and utter exercise in futility.

This season is not what he signed up for when he left more than $3 million on the table in Turkey this past summer to return to his hometown team.

A rash of injuries, mounting losses and a roster made up primarily of players -- himself included -- on one-year deals, had created a caustic environment.

So when Farmar went searching for some kind of savior on a cold night in Memphis, his eyes settled on the guy he knew has what it takes to be a winner: Pau Gasol.

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/39014/farmar-going-through-gasol-win-or-lose
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:22 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Kent Bazemore tries not to get caught up in Lakers drama
Bazemore, who took 19 shots in the Lakers' loss on Tuesday, cuts it down to nine shots on Wednesday after Pau Gasol's complaint that the team needs to move the ball more.

By Mike Bresnahan
February 26, 2014, 9:25 p.m.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Welcome to the Lakers. Enjoy the crossfire.

Newcomers Kent Bazemore and MarShon Brooks went all of six days before the latest Lakers drama unfolded, indirectly bringing them into the battle of words between Pau Gasol and Lakers Coach Mike D'Antoni.

Bazemore's take since being traded to the Lakers? Whoa.

Also

Photos: Lakers vs. Grizzlies

New drama but same old ending in Lakers' 108-103 loss to Memphis

Kendall Marshall is in a funk, just like rest of Lakers

Pau Gasol isn't happy after the Lakers are crushed by Pacers, 118-98

Lakers' Kent Bazemore is making his presence known in new ways

"It's been a long season, especially for them," he said. "They've been probably doing this all year. I don't get caught up in that stuff. I just show up and work hard."

Gasol wanted better ball movement after Bazemore and Brooks combined to make 12 of 29 shots Tuesday in a 118-98 loss to Indiana. But D'Antoni likes the young kids acquired from Golden State last week for veteran guard Steve Blake.

BOX SCORE: Memphis Grizzlies 108, Lakers 103

"The two news guys coming in, they've had half a practice with us, so obviously we've got to teach them and get them to buy into the system and understand what we want," D'Antoni said. "They are playing very hard and they're giving everything they've got, especially defense."

Bazemore was less aggressive Wednesday in the Lakers' 108-103 loss to Memphis. He took only nine shots (and scored 14 points) after launching 19 shots against Indiana.

"I'm learning," Bazemore said. "Pau's paid his dues. Out of respect, I'm going to try that route, go through Pau and just learn how to play off him. Next season I'm going to have to learn to play like that. I'm probably not going to be 'the guy' next year so just learn how to play different."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-fyi-20140227,0,5620090.story#ixzz2uWFqdhQG
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Mike D'Antoni rebukes Pau Gasol
Updated: February 27, 2014, 12:04 AM ET
By Dave McMenamin | ESPNLosAngeles.com

Gasol: Comments Not Out Of Line

Lakers forward Pau Gasol defends himself against Mike D'Antoni's comments that Gasol should have kept his criticism in-house.
Tags: pau gasol, lakers, grizzlies
NEXT VIDEO
Grizzlies Claw Past Lakers
MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Los Angeles Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni says he was disappointed that Pau Gasol took him to task through the media and also vowed Wednesday to continue to employ a small-ball lineup down the stretch this season.

"The thing I just don't appreciate ... You just keep it in-house," D'Antoni said before the Lakers' 108-103 loss to the Memphis Grizzlies. "It's very easy just to come over and talk about your frustrations. We'll try to work something out. We'll figure something out.

[+] Enlarge
Jennifer Stewart/USA TODAY Sports
Coach Mike D'Antoni says he was disappointed that Pau Gasol took him to task through the media regarding the Lakers' performance.
"But to go to (the media) and to do it in the papers, that's disturbing. I just don't think that's the way to go and people should understand that we're all trying to solve the same problem, so let's just put our heads together and do the best we can."

D'Antoni addressed Gasol and the rest of the Lakers' players at the team hotel Wednesday in lieu of a shootaround, with L.A. set to play the second half of a back-to-back following Tuesday's 118-98 loss at Indiana.

It was less of an air-it-out team meeting than a chance to move on from the loss to the Pacers -- a particularly bad loss in a stretch that has seen L.A. drop 26 of its last 32 games -- and prepare for the Grizzlies, according to a team source.
"Nobody wants to see that," said the source when asked about Gasol and D'Antoni exchanging public barbs once again, something that's happened on several occasions since D'Antoni was hired to replace Mike Brown last November. "We're just hoping to finish the season off the right way."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10523800/mike-dantoni-los-angeles-lakers-fires-back-pau-gasol-keep-house?ex_cid=espnapi_public
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:26 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Lee scores 18, including key free throws, as Grizzlies beat Lakers 108-103
Published February 27, 2014Associated Press

Memphis Grizzlies guard Tony Allen (9) goes to the basket between Los Angeles Lakers forward Wesley Johnson, left, and center Pau Gasol in the second half of an NBA basketball game, Wednesday, Feb. 26, 2014, in Memphis, Tenn. The Grizzlies won 108-103. (AP Photo/Lance Murphey) (THE ASSOCIATED PRESS)

Los Angeles Lakers forward Pau Gasol (16) of Spain, fights for a rebound against Memphis Grizzlies forward Zach Randolph (50) in the second half of an NBA basketball game, Wednesday, Feb. 26, 2014, in Memphis, Tenn. The Grizzlies won 108-103. (AP Photo/Lance Murphey) (THE ASSOCIATED PRESS)

Memphis Grizzlies forward Zach Randolph, left, fights for a rebound against Los Angeles Lakers forward Wesley Johnson (11) and center Pau Gasol (16), of Spain, in the first half of an NBA basketball game, Wednesday, Feb. 26, 2014, in Memphis, Tenn. (AP Photo/Lance Murphey) (THE ASSOCIATED PRESS)

Los Angeles Lakers guard Jodie Meeks (20) goes to the basket against Memphis Grizzlies defenders Marc Gasol (33), of Spain, Tayshaun Prince (21), Courtney Lee (5) in the first half of an NBA basketball game, Wednesday, Feb. 26, 2014, in Memphis, Tenn. (AP Photo/Lance Murphey) (THE ASSOCIATED PRESS)

Los Angeles Lakers guard Jordan Farmar (1) gets the ball stripped away from him by Memphis Grizzlies forward James Johnson (3) and guard Nick Calathes in the first half of an NBA basketball game, Wednesday, Feb. 26, 2014, in Memphis, Tenn. (AP Photo/Lance Murphey) (THE ASSOCIATED PRESS)
Next SlidePrevious Slide
MEMPHIS, TENN. – The Los Angeles Lakers almost had enough 3-point shooting down the stretch to overtake the Grizzlies.

However, Memphis' lead was just a little too big.

Courtney Lee scored 18 points, Marc Gasol had 14 points and 12 rebounds, and the Grizzlies overcame the late 3-point shooting display to beat the Lakers 108-103 on Wednesday night.

"It was an interesting game," Memphis coach Dave Joerger said. "Good energy from our first group. Good energy from our second group. We were in attack mode."

Tony Allen added 17 points for Memphis, while James Johnson also scored 14 and Zach Randolph added 13.

Jodie Meeks led the Lakers with 19 points, Wesley Johnson added 18 and Pau Gasol had 17 points and 10 rebounds. Jordan Farmar's added 16 points and MarShon Brooks and Kent Bazemore finished with 14 each.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/02/27/lee-scores-18-including-key-free-throws-as-grizzlies-beat-lakers-108-103/
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:28 am    Post subject:

I love it when they call role players like Nick Young "stars".

Anyone remember "NBA Superstar Sasha Vujacic"?
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:30 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Grizzlies fend off Lakers

FEB 27, 2014 12:53a ET

Justin Ford / USA TODAY Sports
The Grizzlies Marc Gasol and his brother Pau Gasol each had double-doubles.

MEMPHIS -- It's never been about looks for the Memphis Grizzlies. Ugly is just fine, especially now. The Grizzlies need all the wins they can get -- and a little bit of help -- to find some comfort near the eighth and final playoff spot in the West. A 108-103 win against the depleted Lakers Wednesday was as good a win as any at this point. Here are three observations from the game.

1. Win 'em while you got 'em.
The win and Phoenix's loss gets the Grizzlies (32-24) within a half game of the Suns for that eighth spot. Memphis can't pretend not to be scoreboard watching. A standings board the eye can't miss hangs just inside the locker room.

It can't afford any off-nights. Only 10 more of the Grizzlies 26 remaining games are at FedExForum.

"Obviously we watch it," said Tony Allen. "You see we've got it standing over there. But for the most part, we want to take it one game at a time.

Sure, that's the right thing to say, but the right answer is ...

"If we can win home games and establish a presence here, make teams afraid to come to Memphis and play, it makes the season much easier," point guard Mike Conley said. "We're not going to have many home games in this last couple months. Each one is magnified."

Memphis has won four in a row at home and has the third-best home record in the NBA since January 10 at 10-2.

http://msn.foxsports.com/tennessee/story/grizzlies-fend-off-lakers-022714
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject:

Gasol should just shut his mouth until the end of the season. If he doesnt like the system he should ask to be benched or make up an injury or something
jab
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject:

despite what Pau had to say. D Antoni cannot defend his coaching. If you keep trotting undersized lineups out there against oversized lineups you are gonna get killed on second chance points, rebounding and paint points. As usual , he insists on his way or the highway. Hasnt worked and won't work. Management should just fire him now and be done with it.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject:

"I'm learning," Bazemore said. "Pau's paid his dues. Out of respect, I'm going to try that route, go through Pau and just learn how to play off him. Next season I'm going to have to learn to play like that. I'm probably not going to be 'the guy' next year so just learn how to play different."

That's an articulate and mature response from Bazemore.
Scherm
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject:

jab wrote:
despite what Pau had to say. D Antoni cannot defend his coaching. If you keep trotting undersized lineups out there against oversized lineups you are gonna get killed on second chance points, rebounding and paint points. As usual , he insists on his way or the highway. Hasnt worked and won't work. Management should just fire him now and be done with it.

When their bigs are much better than your bigs (Hibbert/West Gasol/Randolph) , and when your bigs are three steps slow anyway, it's stupid to try to match up big for big. With this depleted D-League roster the only way you're going to win is to share the ball, play with energy, make no mistakes on defense and get lucky here and there. The problem is not the coach.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:

Bazemore is a smart young basketball player, it shows in every of his interviews. He will end up a good role player if he gets the right environement.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:

Agreed.

And this one:

Quote:
"It's been a long season, especially for them," he said. "They've been probably doing this all year. I don't get caught up in that stuff. I just show up and work hard."

It's good to see someone being a pro and actually considering a perspective outside of their own.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
SweetP wrote:

Agreed.

And this one:

Quote:

It's good to see someone being a pro and actually considering a perspective outside of their own.

Definitely, I like his attitude and effort.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
SweetP wrote:

Bazemore is a smart young basketball player, it shows in every of his interviews. He will end up a good role player if he gets the right environement.

He really is and I hope we can keep him. The 76ers just bought out Granger's contract, maybe the Lakers should do the same for Gasol.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject:

Cha*n wrote:
The 76ers just bought out Granger's contract, maybe the Lakers should do the same for Gasol.

Yeah I was thinking about that the other day. Imo they need to have a talk with Pau and ask him if he would like a buyout. He'll be able to go to a team like Memphis or Chicago (or clippers, lol dunno) and get to the playoffs, where he belongs.
JayLida
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject:

Fruscas wrote:
Gasol should just shut his mouth until the end of the season. If he doesnt like the system he should ask to be benched or make up an injury or something

Really. SMH. The one player other than Kobe that should yell until results are shown is Gasol. not to mention he has earned the right to voice his displeasure. the only thing I have a problem with, like D'antoni is Pau should keep in-house.
Yumyumcha
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Of the Phil Jackson regime, I think Metta was the only person who was willing to buy into D'antoni's system. Most of the newer players seem to be giving it a go and up until the slew of injuries, the team was ok. Gasol is like Antoine Jamison, not willing to accept the approach to the twilight of their career.
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject:

JayLida wrote:
Fruscas wrote:

Really. SMH. The one player other than Kobe that should yell until results are shown is Gasol. not to mention he has earned the right to voice his displeasure. the only thing I have a problem with, like D'antoni is Pau should keep in-house.

Pau has earned the right to talk. MDA hasn't won (bleep) in the NBA. All he does is make guys put up stats while the team goes no were.
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject:

JayLida wrote:
Fruscas wrote:

Pau has earned the right to talk. MDA hasn't won (bleep) in the NBA. All he does is make guys put up stats while the team goes no were.
magicdays
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject:

Add Farmar to the list of players who are in the trenches who get it:

So when Farmar went searching for some kind of savior on a cold night in Memphis, his eyes settled on the guy he knew has what it takes to be a winner: Pau Gasol.

Like Farmar, Gasol had resisted simply accepting what has happened to the once-proud Lakers franchise this season. He spoke up about it Tuesday, calling out coach Mike D'Antoni for not creating accountability in the locker room through discipline and calling out his teammates for being selfish in the way they played the game.

So, Farmar had an idea: Forget small ball. Forget pick-and-rolls. Let's go through Gasol and let the chips fall where they may.

"I suggested it at halftime," Farmar said. "He's our best player by far. He's a many-time All-Star. He's one of the best players in the NBA. We have to use him to his strengths. We can't just expect him to just play through the motions and figure it out. So, playing through him, he's a willing passer and once he starts going to work, guys start doubling, guys get open shots, open driving angles and things like that. So, I suggested it, we did it and it worked out for us for a while."

Amazing our coach doesn't get it (and some LGers neither).
SmokeAndAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject:

magicdays wrote:
Add Farmar to the list of players who are in the trenches who get it:

Quote:
Like Farmar, Gasol had resisted simply accepting what has happened to the once-proud Lakers franchise this season. He spoke up about it Tuesday, calling out coach Mike D'Antoni for not creating accountability in the locker room through discipline and calling out his teammates for being selfish in the way they played the game.

So, Farmar had an idea: Forget small ball. Forget pick-and-rolls. Let's go through Gasol and let the chips fall where they may.

"I suggested it at halftime," Farmar said. "He's our best player by far. He's a many-time All-Star. He's one of the best players in the NBA. We have to use him to his strengths. We can't just expect him to just play through the motions and figure it out. So, playing through him, he's a willing passer and once he starts going to work, guys start doubling, guys get open shots, open driving angles and things like that. So, I suggested it, we did it and it worked out for us for a while."

Amazing our coach doesn't get it (and some LGers neither).

I found Jordan's comments last night were very interesting too! Kobe, Pau and now Jordan (the three guys with championship experience on our roster) all have questioned how we're playing in D'Antoni's system, and if that's best for our personnel. Who else has to say it before we make a change. Frankly, I accept that D'Antoni's system has advantages, but I'm not sold on it being right for this team.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:51 am    Post subject:

magicdays wrote:

Could Farmar replace MDA? Like ... right now. Please!

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: