Lakers in the News: 1/16/14: "Nick Young suspended, Lakers sign D-Fenders guard Manny Harris

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Lakers in the News: 1/16/14: "Nick Young suspended, Lakers sign D-Fenders guard Manny Harris

Quote:
Nick Young suspended, two fined for Lakers-Suns fight
Adi Joseph, USA TODAY Sports 5:23 p.m. EST January 16, 2014

(Photo: Jennifer Stewart, USA TODAY Sports)
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
Los Angeles Lakers-Phoenix Suns fight Wednesday night led to one suspension, two fines from NBA
Lakers guard Nick Young will sit one game for throwing punch at Suns guard Goran Dragic
Suns forward Marcus Morris ($25,000) and center Alex Len ($15,000) each were fined

Los Angeles Lakers guard Nick Young is suspended one game for throwing a punch at Phoenix Suns guard Goran Dragic during Wednesday's 121-114 Lakers loss, the NBA announced Thursday.

Young and Suns rookie center Alex Len, who was involved in a shoving match during the second-quarter altercaiton, were both ejected for the incident. Len was fined $15,000, while Suns forward Marcus Morris was fined $25,000 for escalating the fight, according to a news release from NBA disciplinarian Rod Thorn, president of basketball operations.

WATCH: See the scuffle for yourself

YOUNG: Disses unhappy Lakers fans

Young is the Lakers' top scorer, averaging 16.4 points a game, and one of three Lakers to play in every game this season. The Lakers have entered a freefall since a 13-13 start, losing 12 of their past 13 to fall to 14-25.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2014/01/16/nick-young-suspended-fight-los-angeles-lakers-vs-phoenix-suns-alex-len-marcus-morris/4532609/

Last edited by Cha*n on Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers’ Nick Young suspended for throwing punch, two Suns fined after altercation
ALEX LEN, BEN GOLLIVER, GORAN DRAGIC, LOS ANGELES LAKERS, MARCUS MORRIS, NICK YOUNG, PHOENIX SUNS
BY BEN GOLLIVER

The NBA announced Thursday that Lakers guard Nick Young has been suspended for one game without pay for throwing a punch at Suns guard Goran Dragic during Phoenix’s 121-114 home victory on Wednesday.

Young’s punch came after he took exception to a hard foul from Suns rookie center Alex Len, a play that set off a small skirmish between the two teams. The NBA has fined Len fined $15,000 for his flagrant foul on the play and Suns forward Marcus Morris has been fined $25,000 for escalating the altercation.

Young, 28, is on the books for $1.1 million this season. A one-game suspension without pay will cost him roughly $10,000 and he will serve his suspension when the Lakers face the Celtics in Boston on Friday.

With a little less than eight minutes remaining in the second quarter and Phoenix leading 36-35, Young took a blow to the face from Len as he attempted a shot in transition. The force of the foul knocked Young to the floor, and he immediately hopped to his feet and shoved Len. At that point, Morris shoved Young in retaliation. Players from both teams then stepped in to deescalate the situation but not before Young made a punch-like motion in the direction of Dragic.

http://nba.si.com/2014/01/16/nick-young-suspended-lakers-punch-suns-alex-len-goran-dragic/
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Suns beat Lakers after Nick Young, Alex Len ejected

Associated Press

PHOENIX -- Gerald Green was in a generous mood after his best game of the season.

Green had a strong second half to finish with a season-high 28 points and lead the Phoenix Suns in a 121-114 victory over the Los Angeles Lakers on Wednesday night.

Green then pledged to pay any fine the NBA might hand down to rookie teammate Alex Len, who was ejected after a flagrant foul following an altercation involving the Lakers' Nick Young in the second quarter.

"Hope the NBA doesn't do anything, but if it does, I'll take care of it," Green said.

Green was careful with his shooting, shying away for 3-point attempts and finishing 12 for 18 from the field.

"I felt like I wasn't settling for my jumper," Green said. "Coach is still telling to shoot the ball so I'm going to continue to do that. I just tried not to take as many 3s as I normally do."

Channing Frye had 10 of his 20 points in the fourth quarter and Markieff Morris scored 17 of his 24 in the first half to help the Suns snap a three-game skid. Goran Dragic added 18 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists.

Pau Gasol scored 24 points to lead the Lakers and Wesley Johnson had 22 against his former team.

Los Angeles, already short-handed with five players -- including star Kobe Bryant -- out with injuries, lost leading-scorer Young midway through the second quarter when he was ejected for throwing a punch at Dragic.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/recap?id=400489447
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers sign D-Fenders guard Manny Harris to 10-day contract

By Eric Pincus
January 16, 2014, 3:26 p.m.

The Lakers signed guard Manny Harris on Thursday to a 10-day contract, the team announced.

Harris has played 13 games for the D-Fenders, the Lakers' NBA Development League affiliate, averaging 30.6 points a game.

The 6-foot-5 Harris previously spent two seasons with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Harris will earn $52,017 with the Lakers. After his contract expires, the team can re-sign him for one additional 10-day contract, ink him for the rest of the season or let him go as a free agent.

With the addition of Harris, the Lakers' roster is full with 15 players, although not all will be available on Friday when the team visits the Boston Celtics.

In addition to the five players out with injury (Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, Steve Blake, Jordan Farmar and Xavier Henry), Nick Young will sit out Friday with a one-game suspension for throwing a punch Wednesday in a loss to the Phoenix Suns.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-sign-manny-harris-10-day-contract-20140116,0,2977273.story#ixzz2qc1uvBUX
Iversondalivest1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject:

I don't understand why nick is going after the fans. From what I've seen, fans have been pretty supportive of nick. Wonder where that's coming from...
Knowledge
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Iversondalivest1 wrote:
I don't understand why nick is going after the fans. From what I've seen, fans have been pretty supportive of nick. Wonder where that's coming from...

Probably from the fans that are (bleep).

Just a guess.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject:

^From the bit I read I believe he was talking about fair weather fans, the kind who jump off the bandwagon when things go badly.

Cha*n - thanks!
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Iversondalivest1 wrote:

The refs have been very supportive of him and he went after them too
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
^From the bit I read I believe he was talking about fair weather fans, the kind who jump off the bandwagon when things go badly.

Cha*n - thanks!

Your welcome and thanks for your comments people.

Quote:
Lakers head east, but things could be worse

Nick Young is suspended for Friday's game against the Celtics, the first of a six-game stretch against the dreadful Eastern Conference.

By Mike Bresnahan
January 16, 2014, 6:59 p.m.

BOSTON — Not everything was drab and gray for the Lakers on Thursday, despite the NBA suspending Nick Young for one game.

They headed east for six games, an itinerary of optimism for Western Conference teams this season, even heavily damaged ones.

The East has rarely been more least than now, broken down into heavyweights Miami, Indiana and a bunch of willy-nilly teams under .500. Toronto (19-18) recently squirted just above .500, though nobody knew it, even in Toronto, because the Maple Leafs were playing well.

The Lakers, though, will face Boston on Friday without Young, suspended for punching Phoenix guard Goran Dragic in the face during the Lakers' 121-114 loss Wednesday.

Of equal concern for the Lakers is the possible rift between the affable Young and his teammates, whom he blamed for not backing him up after he was fouled hard by Alex Len on a fastbreak layup attempt.

Young said he felt as if he was fighting "one on five," and replays showed that none of his teammates on the court — Chris Kaman, Kendall Marshall, Jodie Meeks and Ryan Kelly — moved to step between him and Phoenix's agitated players.

Young found an apparent ally in Pau Gasol.

"Unfortunately, we didn't get a guy between Nick and the three or four guys that were going at him," said Gasol, who was on the bench at the time. "We should have protected Nick there because he had a couple of guys just pushing and shoving him."

The one-game absence will cost Young about $10,000 in salary. Len was fined $15,000 on top of being ejected for a flagrant foul, and Suns forward Marcus Morris was fined $25,000 for escalating the conflict by shoving Young.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-20140117,0,3802328.story#ixzz2qdSGHtC9
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers sign D-Fenders guard Manny Harris to 10-day contract

Only did I suggest it on LG and it's done.

What would you like me to suggest next?

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
Cup-of-noodles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject:

Young got laker ball the rest of the team minus Kobe have no Laker pride or fight....whats wrong with this team is evident...cannot even have their own players back. Go Nick you are on the right and the rest is on the wrong
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: