New mod recommendations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject:

Sorry GT, apparently I have ADD since I missed that part of your post completely. Anyway ....

Quote:
Downside to this approach: There are a couple of different issues with this, although it seems simple enough.

Firstly, there will be cries of censorship and accusations that if you don't hold a pro-FO (or pro-anything) stance, you're subject to punishment. We already get those accusations, frankly. Do we delete "Jimbo sucks" posts, but keep "Kobe is awesome" posts?

There's already that accusation. Do you visit other Laker sites? There's an opinion that Lakersground is basically homers ground. Also a belief that Kobe first fans rule this place. And while I've mostly called LG my home for posting, I have read enough about this to be aware that people feel LG is that place. No matter what you do, the censorship accusation will happen. Case and point. Posters will throw the "freedom of speech" card. Regardless of whether you delete 10 posts, or 100 a day, it's still the same principle. Posts are being deleted.

If you simply tell a content free poster in a PM "Look, if you don't change it up a bit, we're going to have to start erasing some of the content free crap you post". In a way the whole change the word thing - like if you called a Kobe, Ko-ME and instead it's still coming up as Kobe or stupidity deleted or whatever, that's along the same lines. It's always been done to an extent. You (mods) have always had the power and been editing posts. Whether directly (through edits) or indirectly (by replacing common non-content terms with something else).

What would you call Puke = I love Luke Walton?

I have conversed with quite a few posters who had public warnings from some mods. The feedback I got is they feel the mods are out to get them. That's exactly what I don't want posters in a community to feel like. You want to have a direct, open line of communication with regulars on the board, as mods. I feel public communication does not accomplish that. It's one thing to do it with a troll from a Rockets board (who deserves it) it's another thing to do it with posters who have been here a few years, even if they are the P+M type.

What's funny is after I had two conversations with 2 different posters, both of whom I know some mods do not like how they post as I've read the complaints, they've started to post way better. In no way or shape or any form am I saying I'm better than you at this or want to do it. I'm saying that I hope the PM route and open communication with discussion as to why they were wrong for posting that way is exhausted, before the public warnings. That should be a last resort. It feels like in the last year or so, that has become more prevalent.

Quote:
Secondly, in my experience, when moderation is done in private, it leaves room for interpretation and people assume the worst. Whenever I suspend or ban someone, I will reply to the offending post on the board (or "publicly humiliate", as wolf calls it) so everyone's aware of what the offending post is.

Have you not noticed the more confrontational manner of this board in the last 1-2 years? I'm sorry, but I have. So have a quite a lot more users.

While I understand the need to warn, has the new aggressive "bold and warn" xxxx times a day, hand out suspensions openly and 2-3 moderators jumping in the same thread, has any of that led to a better Lounge or OT section? Do we really feel that's the way that's going to work? That's not my way, and I respect that you and others won't agree and that's fair.

However, I'd argue the board is worse now than it was 2 years ago. Whether it's the massive growth or what not, there is some responsibility on the part of the mods for that. Not assigning blame to you, but maybe some things need to be changed around.

Quote:
Lastly, and more pragmatically, deleting every post of this nature would significantly increase the workload of the staff. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, but you'd probably need to add a couple more mods at that point.

Okay so if 10-12 aren't enough, I can think of about 4-5 other people who would make really good fits. Lowest Merion, Wilt, puppy and quite a few others.

What I'm seeing is a regressing board to be honest. And the sad part is, used to you could say it was just about the Lounge. Now I've seen this trickle down to the OT and other sections of the board as well.

There are issues and I don't think the current way is fixing them at all. Time to evaluate a new strategy IMO. If it requires more work and mods, so be it. I know many great people on this board who would qualify and help out without hesitation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: