Deal reached in Kobe memorabilia lawsuit, parents issue an apology
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject:

Chanos wrote:
Since1984 wrote:
The Shadow King wrote:
Chanos wrote:
Mamba3301 wrote:
Chanos wrote:
Kobe shouldn't embarrass his Mom and Dad further by forcing them to issue a public apology. Makes Kobe look egotistical and desperate.\

All parents make mistakes. Kids should not make their parents grovel, it's classless.

Kobe can't win in things like this. They all end up looking foolish.

What's embarrassing is your post. You sound clueless.

No need to attack me bro. We have different opinions, big deal.

Not airing the family's dirty laundry is not a concept I invented.

I sincerely doubt Kobe made his parents do anything. More likely, they issued this release to save face.

This is exactly what I was thinking as I was reading this thread. Since when was it ever stated that Kobe made his parents release a statement? From the looks of it, their publicist released one because they realized the lawsuit wasn't going to fall in their favor and their public perception would go down the toilet unless they apologized (hence the thank you for years of financial support). I would guess Kobe gave his parents even more money to settle this thing. In any case, all of this is sort of funny. I don't know what constitutes a functional family when you are a super rich, world famous athlete; you have to feel bad for Kobe being shunned by his parents like this. However, Kobe is a cold blooded assassin that can probably handle bigger problems than this. I bet he's seething with anger, instead of feeling hurt.

The fact that most people on here are dragging his parents through the mud just proves my point.

Lebron never spoke of the drama with his mom even when things started to leak, he kept it in house and didn't worry about gossip. Kobe, in my humble meaningless opinion, should have done the same. No need for a public apology, just a private one amongst family. Whatever, some people like drama.

It hasn't been established anywhere that Kobe is the one that demanded the apology from them. They could have and should have apologized of their volition.
SmokeAndAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject:

aachan wrote:
Chanos wrote:
Since1984 wrote:
The Shadow King wrote:
Chanos wrote:
Mamba3301 wrote:
Chanos wrote:
Kobe shouldn't embarrass his Mom and Dad further by forcing them to issue a public apology. Makes Kobe look egotistical and desperate.\

All parents make mistakes. Kids should not make their parents grovel, it's classless.

I sincerely doubt Kobe made his parents do anything. More likely, they issued this release to save face.

This is exactly what I was thinking as I was reading this thread. Since when was it ever stated that Kobe made his parents release a statement? From the looks of it, their publicist released one because they realized the lawsuit wasn't going to fall in their favor and their public perception would go down the toilet unless they apologized (hence the thank you for years of financial support). I would guess Kobe gave his parents even more money to settle this thing. In any case, all of this is sort of funny. I don't know what constitutes a functional family when you are a super rich, world famous athlete; you have to feel bad for Kobe being shunned by his parents like this. However, Kobe is a cold blooded assassin that can probably handle bigger problems than this. I bet he's seething with anger, instead of feeling hurt.

The fact that most people on here are dragging his parents through the mud just proves my point.

Lebron never spoke of the drama with his mom even when things started to leak, he kept it in house and didn't worry about gossip. Kobe, in my humble meaningless opinion, should have done the same. No need for a public apology, just a private one amongst family. Whatever, some people like drama.

It's a little too late to keep things 'in house' when the Auction House Pam Bryant sold the items to without Kobe's knowledge is PUBLICLY suing Kobe. When unlike the LBJ/Mum/Delonte debacle, I don't recall there being a lawsuit for his mum sleeping around. Two completely different circumstances friend.

Just my 2 cents.

Agreed 100%! Plus, we don't know if there have been other incidents that happened that have been kept behind closed doors. Nobody knew that Kobe's parents weren't that great with money until this whole thing went public. If his stuff wasn't PUBLICLY auctioned and then he was PUBLICLY sued, we still wouldn't have known. So it's not fair for anyone to make it seem like Kobe is just airing his dirty linen for attention.

And it's even more evident when you consider how Kobe has handled past family issues, like being disowned by his parents back in the day. He never make a big public drama of it. It was a while before anyone starting noticing that his parents weren't around anymore. But HE never threw it out there: not when they stayed away from his wedding, not when he won his 2nd championship in Philly (his hometown!!) and his parents didn't bother to come celebrate that with him. It was only when they were already working towards a reconciliation in 2003 (almost 3 years later) that he finally spoke about it.

Kobe has never been a drama queen. He has his issues, for sure, but that's not of them.
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject:

BigBoi wrote:
In my opinion this makes Kobe look bad, I don't have a clue what's going on in their family but his parents shouldn't have to resort to this. Kobe is mega rich, he should make sure his folks are well taken care of. Like I said, I'm just speaking from a perspective of an outsider looking in.

You're probably starting from the premise that his parents are decent human beings. Not saying i know, but if his parents are scumbags, then I can understand why things are the way they are.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject:

dvdrdiscs wrote:
BigBoi wrote:
In my opinion this makes Kobe look bad, I don't have a clue what's going on in their family but his parents shouldn't have to resort to this. Kobe is mega rich, he should make sure his folks are well taken care of. Like I said, I'm just speaking from a perspective of an outsider looking in.

You're probably starting from the premise that his parents are decent human beings. Not saying i know, but if his parents are scumbags, then I can understand why things are the way they are.
scumbags or not. his scumbags raised him, and put him in a position to be the best basketball player on the planet. his God given athleticism and height was not enough to be as good as he is. he had to get that NBA training at an early age to learn that footwork. who do you think taught him? his father.

who do you think paid for any outside lessons? his mother and father.

so scumbags or not. if two people raised you, fed you, clothed you and you had some of the finer things in life. the reason he speaks multiple languages is because of his folks. the reason he's so well rounded with things like that is because of his parents. so again, scums or no scums he owes them his life. that doesnt mean go broke over them asking for crazy amts of cash. but if you got it. give it. its not like i'm talking about he should give it to all of his siblings and cousins and friends, etc. no. but he only has 2 parents and they wont be around forever.
lakozzz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: image

imo ,it could be about future money made by Kobe's image ,his parents were probably reminded that after the basketball career his image would be his marketability ,the lawyers involved did the right thing by protecting that image ,that may well be his means of income ,if his folks want their son to continue his financial support they would have to protect a fragile image that can lose endorsements in a heartbeat ,in the family's best interest..everything that transpired was corrected by a simple apology.as to not further the damage done for whatever reason.and whatever else goes on behind the scene is a private matter for family to work out.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject:

SmokeAndAshes wrote:
aachan wrote:
Chanos wrote:
Since1984 wrote:
The Shadow King wrote:
Chanos wrote:
Mamba3301 wrote:
Chanos wrote:

It's a little too late to keep things 'in house' when the Auction House Pam Bryant sold the items to without Kobe's knowledge is PUBLICLY suing Kobe. When unlike the LBJ/Mum/Delonte debacle, I don't recall there being a lawsuit for his mum sleeping around. Two completely different circumstances friend.

Just my 2 cents.

Agreed 100%! Plus, we don't know if there have been other incidents that happened that have been kept behind closed doors. Nobody knew that Kobe's parents weren't that great with money until this whole thing went public. If his stuff wasn't PUBLICLY auctioned and then he was PUBLICLY sued, we still wouldn't have known. So it's not fair for anyone to make it seem like Kobe is just airing his dirty linen for attention.

And it's even more evident when you consider how Kobe has handled past family issues, like being disowned by his parents back in the day. He never make a big public drama of it. It was a while before anyone starting noticing that his parents weren't around anymore. But HE never threw it out there: not when they stayed away from his wedding, not when he won his 2nd championship in Philly (his hometown!!) and his parents didn't bother to come celebrate that with him. It was only when they were already working towards a reconciliation in 2003 (almost 3 years later) that he finally spoke about it.

Kobe has never been a drama queen. He has his issues, for sure, but that's not of them.

Tuck tail. Turn. Walk away.
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject:

kobe should return everything he owns to his parents, including his wife and kids.

cuz thats what kids have to do man.
do it for the parents!
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
The Shadow King wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
The Shadow King wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
The Shadow King wrote:
Damn... it would break my heart if it were my parents doing this. My mother wouldn't sell the Mr. Freeze picture that I drew her in 3rd grade for anything.
bad comparison. you drew it for HER. kobe was not winning rings and playing ball for his parents. he did that for himself. sure he gave them some things after he earned awards and wore jersey's etc. but the truth is, he didnt do those things for them. thats completely different.

It is still a cherished memory. The sentiment is the same. But even if they are not the same, you mean to tell me Kobe didn't mind much that they sold his trophies because he didn't earn those things FOR them? I find that incredibly far-fetched.
you're missing my point. its not about kobe. your parents keep your old stuff because THEY want to cherish it. if you draw your mother something in the 1st grade. she will keep it forever. you drew it for HER.

kobe plays ball for HIMSELF, he wins FOR HIMSELF. just so happened he gave them things after he won things, he left his child hood jersey's.

those things are more or less garage stuff. not stuff a parent would go thru and go "awwww, i remember when you were 2 years old and you made this for me and daddy."

the only person that would be all extra proud of his hoop stuff is his dad(unless his mom was heavy into sports and basketball).

So you go out of a way to express a moot fact? Yeah, Kobe's situation is different from mine. But unless you are implying that Kobe's memorial trophies don't mean anything to him, the sentiment is still the same.

Must you always be so argumentative about everything all of the time? Go hug your family or something.

The 2 Championship rings Kobe paid to have made for his mother and father were made for & given to them to share in his victory.....and they (at least his mom) decided to give them away to be sold because a bigger, better 3rd house was more important. What a slap in the face to a son.
its only a slap in the face to you guys because you look at kobe as a basketball player not your son. i dont care about how many rings my son has won. he's my son. he's not this big time star to me. he is that to YOU in the public. to his mom she could care less about those rings. she didnt win the championship. lol. she cant eat those rings, or sleep in them. nor could she drive them. and they are worth a ton of money. if kobe would've asked her i bet you she would've taken cash value over the rings. even back then when he gave them to her. why? because they are not HERS she didnt play the sport. it doesnt have the same value as it does to him or even us fans.

This has got to be some of the worst stuff you've ever posted (and that's saying a lot).

Wow that is saying something so sad it's true SMH makes no sense

Coach Wooden
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
KOBE BRYANT AUCTION
Who Wants My
TACKY DIAMOND RING!?

It's the stuff that caused a war between Kobe Bryant and his parents -- a collection of the NBA star's tacky jewelry, shoes and jerseys -- and now it's officially up for auction.

A diamond-encrusted NBA Championship ring complete with the words "Bling Bling" engraved on the side ... prototypes of Kobe's shoes ... Bryant's high school jersey -- it's all up for sale.

As we previously reported, Kobe sued his mom to prevent her from selling the memorabilia ... claiming she had no ownership rights to the merchandise.

But Pamela Bryant -- along with her husband Jellybean -- fought back ... claiming Kobe had gifted the stuff to them over the years and they had every right to sell it.

Last week, the two sides hammered out a settlement agreement ... in which Kobe allowed his folks to sell off 10% of what they had originally tried to auction ... and the items are pretty interesting.

As part of the settlement, half the proceeds from 4 key items -- including Kobe's palladium 2000 All-Star ring -- will go to support one of his favorite causes: the social action campaign around the anti-bullying documentary "Bully."

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2013/06/17/kobe-bryant-lakers-diamond-ring-auction-pamela/#ixzz2WVinyh3S
Chanos
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Since1984 wrote:
Chanos wrote:
Dominator wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
Dominator wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
"Kobe Bryant reached a settlement with a New Jersey auction house that allows his mother sell a small amount of his memorabilia, while also getting an apology from his parents, who thanked him for his financial support."

very tacky...and embarrassing

Why is this troll still here?

the truth really hurts...doesn't it?

Wat? The truth about you being a troll? No, that doesn't hurt. It is highly embarrassing though.

getting a public apology from your own damn MOM and DAD is VERY tacky, nothing trollish about pointing that out. What next? A list of all the expenses Kobe covered over the years to prove what a great son he is?? Many, many rich celebrities take care of their parents and families and don't require a public pat on the back. I love Kobe but this is indeed tacky and embarrassing.

Maybe that's why his parents did it. It's tacky and they want to embarrass him.

And how do you know Kobe isn't embarrassed by his parent's public statement?

I'm being sarcastic because we don't know, but to blame Kobe in this situation; that's what's embarrassing. He is the victim, based on the information available.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and theorize that Kobe manned up and gave them plenty of money to settle this thing for their third home, so because of his parents' joy, they released that apologetic statement that you all are calling tacky.

You're probably right. It worked.
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Chanos wrote:
Dominator wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
Dominator wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
"Kobe Bryant reached a settlement with a New Jersey auction house that allows his mother sell a small amount of his memorabilia, while also getting an apology from his parents, who thanked him for his financial support."

Wat? The truth about you being a troll? No, that doesn't hurt. It is highly embarrassing though.

getting a public apology from your own damn MOM and DAD is VERY tacky, nothing trollish about pointing that out. What next? A list of all the expenses Kobe covered over the years to prove what a great son he is?? Many, many rich celebrities take care of their parents and families and don't require a public pat on the back. I love Kobe but this is indeed tacky and embarrassing.

There's no evidence that indicates that Kobe demanded an apology. It's entirely possible that the parents apologized because they felt bad about the whole thing.
Chanos
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject:

Dominator wrote:
Chanos wrote:
Dominator wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
Dominator wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:

There's no evidence that indicates that Kobe demanded an apology. It's entirely possible that the parents apologized because they felt bad about the whole thing.

Either way, the entire charade is tacky and embarrassing. The Bryants need to take lessons from 'old money' folks or the thousands of other millionaires who keep family matters private. This type of dispute is not unique to Kobe. Even after a relative starts acting up, there are ways to keep these type of matters out of the press. Just like the Colorado debacle. Kobe can be defiant to a fault, sometimes you just gotta roll with the punches.
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Chanos wrote:
Dominator wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
Dominator wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:

So now it's Kobe's fault that his parents decided to apologize for being greedy? Wow, Kobe just can't win.

Some things never change.
boibastos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:

She was soooo desperate for a 3rd home that she had to sell her son's things?

The Parents of Elite Athletes Association require at least 4 homes which includes either a sprawling beachfront property or small castle to maintain their good standing.
oliverginob
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject:

his parents must be dumb as rocks or lazy, they should have a business by now with Kobe's help and not need to ask him for money anymore. They could have franchised some fast food places or something years ago.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:
BigBoi wrote:

scumbags or not. his scumbags raised him, and put him in a position to be the best basketball player on the planet. his God given athleticism and height was not enough to be as good as he is. he had to get that NBA training at an early age to learn that footwork. who do you think taught him? his father.

who do you think paid for any outside lessons? his mother and father.

so scumbags or not. if two people raised you, fed you, clothed you and you had some of the finer things in life. the reason he speaks multiple languages is because of his folks. the reason he's so well rounded with things like that is because of his parents. so again, scums or no scums he owes them his life. that doesnt mean go broke over them asking for crazy amts of cash. but if you got it. give it. its not like i'm talking about he should give it to all of his siblings and cousins and friends, etc. no. but he only has 2 parents and they wont be around forever.

lol this is crazy talk, kobe never asked to be born, so he doesn't owe them anything for that. They had a baby and lived up to there responsibility of seeing it through, that doesn't mean you are in debt for the rest of your life to your parents. Nor does it mean after 18 years of them "raising you" that you have to care for them for the next 60 years.
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject:

According to some on here if Kobe's parents killed someone he would be a douche if he didn't support them because they raised him.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject:

PnP delusional.
TrueBlueLakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: WOW

Nobody knows the truth of this story. They should apologize whether they were right or wrong to help try to salvage some of their son's image.

Based on the comments, I take it that its OK for Kobe or Vanessa to support the mother in law, but the parents are labeled as greedy. They ones most responsible for his success other than Kobe should be cut off, but not the mother in law? That's a little crazy to me.

My mom and dad would always receive money from me if I was taking care of my mother in law.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject:

The thing is they have but apparently they got greedy I mean did they not watch "Broke"?

Apparently they wanted to hawk their son's stuff for a down payment for a 3rd house I mean you don't need a 3rd house(would be nice if you can afford it)
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject:

Quote:
KOBE BRYANT
Mom Makes a KILLING
Hocking Kobe Memorabilia

No wonder she fought so hard ... Kobe Bryant's mother raked in hundreds of thousands of dollars selling her superstar son's stuff.

As TMZ reported ...Kobe and his mom Pamela Bryant fought an epic battle -- when she tried to auction off a bunch of his sports memorabilia -- Kobe even sued her to block the sale. The two struck a deal -- the NBA star allowed her to sell around 10% of the treasure trove.

Well the auction ended Friday night ... and Kobe's old junk fetched a pretty penny -- 6 figures in all.

-- 2000 NBA L.A. Lakers Championship ring: $165,889.80
-- 2000 All Star ring: $52,854
-- Kobe's used H.S. Uniform: $48,048.15
-- Kobe's used Lakers jersey: $7,938.45 (less than the H.S. jersey, shockingly)
-- Kobe American Flag Adidas Sneakers: $7,216.25

A lot more was sold. All in all the items raked in $450,000.

Sort of makes up for that whole "Kobe never bought me a house in Vegas thing" huh?

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2013/07/20/kobe-bryant-auction-lakers-pamela/#ixzz2ZbcrpBT1
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject:

kobe sells for to much
MyKRo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject:

That really sucks. He lost his first championship ring.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject:

It was a replica he made for both his parents not his real one otherwise there's no way he'd let her sell it come on now...
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject:

disgusting
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
Jump to: