Report: Lakers eyeing LeBron, Melo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
First reported by Duh Magazine.

My thoughts exactly.
chicky baby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject:

kobetimeeverytime wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
Moses wrote:
Am I the only one who doesn't think Carmelo is worth / will get the Max?

If you look at the realistic available FAs in 2014, then giving Carmelo the max might be our only option as far as getting a superstar player in the market.

most of the superstar FAs we want in 2014 are RFAs and will most likely be matched by there current team.

you seem to be operating under the presumption that it's better to sign a "max" player for the sake of it rather than preserving your cap space for the right player. too many teams make that mistake, namely franchises like the knicks. Always settling for the best available "max" player on the market.

There are players that can improve a team's success in the short run but drag you further away from the championship because they are overvalued and hamper your ability to add pieces.

There's only a handful of players truly worth the max. if you can't get one of those players then it's best not to overpay for a 2nd tier talent because you won't win with that guy anyways.

My thoughts EXACTLY- couldn't have said it better.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject:

chicky baby wrote:
kobetimeeverytime wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
Moses wrote:

If you look at the realistic available FAs in 2014, then giving Carmelo the max might be our only option as far as getting a superstar player in the market.

most of the superstar FAs we want in 2014 are RFAs and will most likely be matched by there current team.

you seem to be operating under the presumption that it's better to sign a "max" player for the sake of it rather than preserving your cap space for the right player. too many teams make that mistake, namely franchises like the knicks. Always settling for the best available "max" player on the market.

There are players that can improve a team's success in the short run but drag you further away from the championship because they are overvalued and hamper your ability to add pieces.

There's only a handful of players truly worth the max. if you can't get one of those players then it's best not to overpay for a 2nd tier talent because you won't win with that guy anyways.

Yep, that's what we're becoming in the Jim Buss era. Knicks West. Signing Melo would be the symbolic passing of the torch. A team doomed to mediocrity and "He was the best max player available, gotta sign somebody" team-building ideologies.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Their only legit shot was to re-sign Dwight and hope that the pull was sufficient to draw Lebron. With Carmelo ensconced in a major city that he apparently likes, and Lebron drawn to "super friends" teams, it seems like a long-shot.

Possibly true, although it has been reported (prior to Dwightmare 2, the LA Saga) that Dwight is a player LBJ WOULDN'T want to play with, and that most if not all of the last dream team were happy he wasn't there (I suspect those two things would be connected).

A teammate of his choice might be more appealing to LBJ than Dwight...
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
chicky baby wrote:
kobetimeeverytime wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
Moses wrote:

Yep, that's what we're becoming in the Jim Buss era. Knicks West. Signing Melo would be the symbolic passing of the torch. A team doomed to mediocrity and "He was the best max player available, gotta sign somebody" team-building ideologies.

I thought I was the only one worried about this. Better to preserve your future capspace than get locked into mediocrity because you have to spend your money.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject:

I see your point with signing Melo, but remember that even after the Lakers sign Melo they can offer a max contract again in 2015 (Kevin Love) or 2016 (Durant?).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject:

KB#8,#24 wrote:
I see your point with signing Melo, but remember that even after the Lakers sign Melo they can offer a max contract again in 2015 (Kevin Love) or 2016 (Durant?).

I do agree though that spending the max because we need to get a "max" is foolish.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject:

KB#8,#24 wrote:

Still doesn't matter to me. We don't need to hinge our future to a guy in his 30's. Get some younger guys who have a larger window to win.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
KB#8,#24 wrote:

Still doesn't matter to me. We don't need to hinge our future to a guy in his 30's. Get some younger guys who have a larger window to win.

While I agree that you should not spend the max just to spend it, the philosphy that you mentioned has killed franchises. If you keep on saving your money and your franchise has no key pieces, who would want to come when you offer top free agents max contracts. Most newly unrestricted free agents have dealt with poor teams and would not want to come to the same situation OR they have been on contenders and dont want to downgrade, and try to take a mediocre team (Lakers without any stars) to championship contenders. If the Lakers have pieces in place (Melo or players like Gordon Hayward and Greg Monroe), then players like Durant, Westbrook, and Rose would be motivated to sign here.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Their only legit shot was to re-sign Dwight and hope that the pull was sufficient to draw Lebron. With Carmelo ensconced in a major city that he apparently likes, and Lebron drawn to "super friends" teams, it seems like a long-shot.

Possibly true, although it has been reported (prior to Dwightmare 2, the LA Saga) that Dwight is a player LBJ WOULDN'T want to play with, and that most if not all of the last dream team were happy he wasn't there (I suspect those two things would be connected).

A teammate of his choice might be more appealing to LBJ than Dwight...

Link?
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject:

If the Lakers can not get Melo, I would target RFA from teams that have future cap issues:

Utah- They are going to have issues resigning all of their prospects (Kanter, Favors, Burks, Burke, Hayward). I think this summer they will have to decide between Hayward and Favors.

Pistons- yinoma2001 mentioned that since the Pistons signed Josh Smith to a near max deal and have Drummond developing they might not want to match a max/near max contract offer for Monroe.

I suggest the Lakers sign Hayward (4yrs 36mln), and Monroe (max).

PG-Nash
SG-Kobe
SF-Hayward
PF-Monroe
C-Pau

This leaves the Lakers with enough money to pursue Westbrook in 2016 and Love in 2015. This might actually be my option 1. Also the Lakers would not be a lottery/mediocre team with this lineup.
sublimedominion
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject:

KB#8,#24 wrote:
If the Lakers can not get Melo, I would target RFA from teams that have future cap issues:

Utah- They are going to have issues resigning all of their prospects (Kanter, Favors, Burks, Burke, Hayward). I think this summer they will have to decide between Hayward and Favors.

Pistons- yinoma2001 mentioned that since the Pistons signed Josh Smith to a near max deal and have Drummond developing they might not want to match a max/near max contract offer for Monroe.

PG-Nash
SG-Kobe
SF-Hayward
PF-Monroe
C-Pau

This leaves the Lakers with enough money to pursue Westbrook in 2016 and Love in 2015. This might actually be my option 1. Also the Lakers would not be a lottery/mediocre team with this lineup.

One of the most logical posts I have seen in a long while. I am glad that there are some intelligent posters left here this summer
la4win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Coming to Lakers will be the best thing for Lebron. He will elminate most of his hate fans and build his legacy as a top 5 players in the history if he could win couple more with the lakers.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Small market teams often have trouble attracting big time free agents, but they retain their own stars when they're restricted.

Detroit would not have signed Smith if they weren't prepared to match a max offer sheet for Monroe; and if for some reason they can't, they'll trade him to a team that can.

If they develop, Kanter and Favors aren't going anywhere. Utah is paying Biedrins and Jefferson $20mm, they can certainly afford to pay their productive young players.

The NBA isn't MLB, where there's such a wide gap in payroll between the Dodgers and the Marlins. The salary floor ensures teams can't go ultra cheap, and if you're the GM of a small market team, the one area you put your cash is your own restricted free agents.
JoJo Dancer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Melo on the Lakers would be the greatest challenge to my Laker fan-dom ever. We'd officially become the Knicks of the West. A mediocre-at-best laughing stock of a once proud franchise run into the ground by an idiot legacy kid owner.

Dang that's harsh. Very accurate though IMO. It's scary how close we resemble the Knicks right now. Antoni is Antoni. 2014 is 2010. Jimbo is James Dolan.
1since71
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject:

If the Lakers dont get Lebron i would pass on mello and go for 3 UFA in 15.Rondo will be coming off a final year salary of 13mil.M.Gasol,K.Love and Lamarcus Aldridge will be coming off final year salaries of 16mil.You could give 3 guys a raise and still be under the cap which would allow you to use your MLE as well.
Mamba3301
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject:

I don't want to root for guys like Lebron or Melo who I've hated or rooted against for years, it doesn't feel right. Besides, both guys will be 30 next year...that's usually when athletes start to decline. I'd rather the Lakers start the post-Kobe era with a fresh young talent.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Lebron will take an MLE type pay at Miami so he no only can keep his super friends on the team but also to lure Melo to produce more rings.

Book it. Lebron is never about money.
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject:

KB#8,#24 wrote:

PG-Nash
SG-Kobe
SF-Hayward
PF-Monroe
C-Pau

So in 15' we could look like this?

PG- ???/Farmar
SG-Kobe
SF-Hayward
PF-LOVE
C-Monroe

What point could be had for less? Will Kobe be taking a lot less?

Westbrook would need to "not" win a ring for the next 3 years in OKC if we have a chance at him in 16'. I am assuming Kobe is gone by this time? I think Kobe plans on 4 years at least.

Perhaps if not Monroe, we can roll the dice on DMC?

There are alot of twists in the road ahead, but at least there will be options....

For me Bron and George is the dream of all dreams...

For me Melo I would want mostly just to be able to lure Bron, but is that smart? NO! Too much for Melo IMO, but if you can get BRON due to it, it makes me flinch...... Bron to me is the catch? With George coming up fast....

Maybe this option for 14'???....

Wall/Nash
Kobe
Wes Johnson (after he shows what he has this season)
Hill
Cousins
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject:

This isn't a report. We all knew this.

They are going to try and sell Lebron on playing with Kobe and Melo or some sort of super team in LA.

It's a Hail Mary, hope it works. I'm skeptical Lebron will ever have any part in aiding Kobe's legacy to reach Jordan's 6 ring count. These guys are both fighting to be at that level. They both want GOAT status.

But let's see how it plays out. I'm on the record as saying tanking is the better, more realistic, long term approach especially with the draft crop of 2014.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
omzzzzz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject:

If you can get Lebron and/or Carmelo it's really a no brainer. However, if we can't get either I think we should definitely wait until 2015 where the free agent class will be younger and still outstanding.
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
This isn't a report. We all knew this.

They are going to try and sell Lebron on playing with Kobe and Melo or some sort of super team in LA.

It's a Hail Mary, hope it works. I'm skeptical Lebron will ever have any part in aiding Kobe's legacy to reach Jordan's 6 ring count. These guys are both fighting to be at that level. They both want GOAT status.

But let's see how it plays out. I'm on the record as saying tanking is the better, more realistic, long term approach especially with the draft crop of 2014.

Wolf....

My take is a more positive one, hear me out...

Kobe/Bron win lets say for "dream's sake" they win 3 titles together... So barring either of them winning another ring this coming season Kobe would then have 8 rings, Bron 5....

Kobe sets off at 38 into the sunset with the all time points total record, and 8 rings...

Now Bron gets a younger guy to come in Kobe's place...Bron now 33 will then go for 3 or 4 more until the age of 36/37. He could actually get 8 to 9. ..... 2 with the Heat and Wade, 3 with Kobe, and 3 to 4 after his time with Kobe, a true winner in various schemes. For example Kobe will then have gotten 3 with Shaq, 2 as his team, and 3 with Bron... Like MJ got his 6 with Pippen...

I do not see any legacy being ruined for either Kobe or Bron.

If the best "overall" situation for winning, the best chance lays with the lakers along with all the fringe benefits of being within the laker's organization, Bron has to look real careful at the laker's opportunity...
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject:

That's fine, but you have to sell Lebron on that. If he buys it great, but what's to say he doesn't think he can do the exact same thing in Cle with Irving and another all star, or in Miami with a few all stars there?

The other thing, as much as an issue people made it with Dwight, I'd say its an issue all free agents who are stars are aware of. The pressure in LA. In those two rings in Miami, Lebron can never win another game there and be seen as a great. If he goes back to CLE and wins 1-2 more there, he will be seen as a hero again. I'm having a hard time believing he gives that up to come on Kobe's team, but certainly if it happens you will see me celebrate and give them props for pulling it off.

The other thing is money. They get a year less in guaranteed money with higher state taxes.

I think Melo is more realistic, but also a bit of a stretch. Need to hope Melo's Knicks bomb badly this coming year. Melo hasn't won a ring and he probably has more desperation than Bron.

Btw if anyone thought Dwight and Kobe were a problem Lebrons ego is even bigger than Dwight's. it wouldn't be a walk in the park, and certainly Lebron would want Kobe to do what Wade has for him and let him take over the team.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ssiknick833
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject:

BREAKING NEWS, great to have this new update.
Will2Win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject:

If we could only get one i would pick Melo. Simply because Lebron's game will go with time he is too reliant on his athleticism, while Melo relies on more skillful foot work or outside shooting. If you need to fill in the athletic spot go for Rudy Gay or Paul George who are young and will keep their athleticism longer.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8
Jump to: