Report: Lakers eyeing LeBron, Melo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan1972 wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
Moses wrote:
Am I the only one who doesn't think Carmelo is worth / will get the Max?

If you look at the realistic available FAs in 2014, then giving Carmelo the max might be our only option as far as getting a superstar player in the market.

most of the superstar FAs we want in 2014 are RFAs and will most likely be matched by there current team.

Basically the Lakers are "settling" for a 30-year old Carmelo for the Max?

You are right about limited opportunities in 2014. This is where Lakers need to show a little patience as well as not overpay.

The better targets are in 2015. Pick someone in 2014 who fits the long term play at the right price but maintain flexibility to go after so one like Love/La/Rondo,etc in 2015.

I don't see patience because we don't have a draft pick in 2015. So if we are bottom dweller terrible we won't get compensation for that.
LakersDC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Did you guys hate on Malone when he was with the Jazz? I did. However, I quickly joined the "Mailman" cheer squad when he took the minimum when he probably could have made $20MM somewhere else just to join the Lakers in hopes for a championship.

I imagine if we actually got Lebron, a lot of the haters here would change their tune (unless he sucks by then and eats up all our cap space...)
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan1972 wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
Moses wrote:

If you look at the realistic available FAs in 2014, then giving Carmelo the max might be our only option as far as getting a superstar player in the market.

most of the superstar FAs we want in 2014 are RFAs and will most likely be matched by there current team.

You are right about limited opportunities in 2014. This is where Lakers need to show a little patience as well as not overpay.

The better targets are in 2015. Pick someone in 2014 who fits the long term play at the right price but maintain flexibility to go after so one like Love/La/Rondo,etc in 2015.

If Rondo is such a top flight PG, why are the celtics getting offers of Brandon Knight for him?

Rondo doesn't have a high perception around the league. He couldn't coexist with Doc Rivers (a players coach). He can't shoot and requires significantly better pieces around him to help him.

Kevin Love has been injury prone for back to back seasons. That's a guy you want to build on? His defense is poor, he doesn't rotate well at all.

Aldridge is probably the best of that group but he's had good teams around him too. I personally think he's a good player but not a great player. He has room to grow.

Carmelo is superstar offensive talent and average NBA player defense. Nevertheless, he's never really been surrounded by any legitimate #2's in his career. The second best player on the Knicks was J.R. Smith.

Carmelo + Kobe + Pau is already a tandem to reckon with. You have balance on all levels. If you throw in Lebron - that's a championship even with veteran minimum players all around them.
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject:

If, the Lakers wanted Rondo... I'm sure they can use Gasol in a 3-way trade to land him... but I don't think the Lakers want to invest in Rondo especially after his injury last year.
kobetimeeverytime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
Moses wrote:

you seem to be operating under the presumption that it's better to sign a "max" player for the sake of it rather than preserving your cap space for the right player. too many teams make that mistake, namely franchises like the knicks. Always settling for the best available "max" player on the market.

There are players that can improve a team's success in the short run but drag you further away from the championship because they are overvalued and hamper your ability to add pieces.

There's only a handful of players truly worth the max. if you can't get one of those players then it's best not to overpay for a 2nd tier talent because you won't win with that guy anyways.
Choson1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Next offseason, sign the following players to the following contracts:

C Pau $7M/year
PF Lebron $17M/year
SF Carmelo $17M/year
SG Kobe $10M/year
PG Wade $10M/year

Hire Phil to run the triangle.
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject:

kobetimeeverytime wrote:
you seem to be operating under the presumption that it's better to sign a "max" player for the sake of it rather than preserving your cap space for the right player. too many teams make that mistake, namely franchises like the knicks. Always settling for the best available "max" player on the market.

There are players that can improve a team's success in the short run but drag you further away from the championship because they are overvalued and hamper your ability to add pieces.

There's only a handful of players truly worth the max. if you can't get one of those players then it's best not to overpay for a 2nd tier talent because you won't win with that guy anyways.

I never understood, the 2014 plan anyways.... I always figured if the Lakers had no chance to sign LeBron or another superstar like Paul George then it's a pointless situation.

I can see the Lakers overpaying Rudy Gay and Brandon Jennings next summer... and still get stuck in the middle-pack.
Mr. Blonde
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject:

No to Melo
Yes to Lebron

I'd take Lebron and Paul George.
chains
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Their only legit shot was to re-sign Dwight and hope that the pull was sufficient to draw Lebron. With Carmelo ensconced in a major city that he apparently likes, and Lebron drawn to "super friends" teams, it seems like a long-shot.

that is too funny my young LG poster. Miami is done. They won last year by the hair of their chinny chin chin. Wades knee had to be drained and given steroid shots. Miami is so fat and happy right now that they will sleep walk through the regular season. And they will pay in the playoffs. Bulls, Pacers are hungry and they will take Miami out this time. And they have no cap room unless Bosh and Wade leave, but Miami is done. LeBald cannot continue to carry that team all year. 3 Finals in a row, make it for very short offseasons.

Melo. Please. New York is not going no where. Brooklyn is better and so are the Pacers and Bulls.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Mr. Blonde wrote:
No to Melo
Yes to Lebron

I'd take Lebron and Paul George.

You're not going to get Paul George. He's a RFA. On top of that Indiana and him have already started contract extension negotiations.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Carmelo is absolutely worth the max. Yes, he hasn't had much playoff success, but he's never been part of an elite team. While he's played with several good players, he hasn't suited up with great ones.

Aside from his play, landing him probably increases the chances of signing LeBron. And landing LeBron increases the chances that Kobe takes a pay cut for the sake of a title. I don't see him doing the same so the Lakers can bring in someone like Danny Granger.

I would have liked the 2015 plan had the Lakers re-signed Howard and moved Pau for roster upgrades with contracts beyond this season. But with Kobe having only a few shots left, you don't pass on Carmelo (if he wants to come here) in the hope that Kevin Love signs the following season.
Lake_Show99th
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Dear God his story won't end....we have a slim hnce at Melo Lebron c'mon he ain't coming here I don't see him leaving the MIA
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject:

81 wrote:
Carmelo is absolutely worth the max. Yes, he hasn't had much playoff success, but he's never been part of an elite team. While he's played with several good players, he hasn't suited up with great ones.

Aside from his play, landing him probably increases the chances of signing LeBron. And landing LeBron increases the chances that Kobe takes a pay cut for the sake of a title. I don't see him doing the same so the Lakers can bring in someone like Danny Granger.

I would have liked the 2015 plan had the Lakers re-signed Howard and moved Pau for roster upgrades with contracts beyond this season. But with Kobe having only a few shots left, you don't pass on Carmelo (if he wants to come here) in the hope that Kevin Love signs the following season.

I agree with you, at the very least if LeBron doesn't pan out... you still invest in a superstar offensive talent like Carmelo.. who with the right pieces would lead the team to a title.
JoJo Dancer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject:

LOL They just reported this story on CNN.
Quote:

I never understood, the 2014 plan anyways.... I always figured if the Lakers had no chance to sign LeBron or another superstar like Paul George then it's a pointless situation.

The original plan was to have Dwight Howard to help lure LeBron after the Heat were to lose last year and this coming season. Since all of that flopped the 2014 plan makes even less sense. There is no plan IMO right now.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject:

very slow news day.

Not going to happen.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerFan1972 wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
Moses wrote:

I don't see patience because we don't have a draft pick in 2015. So if we are bottom dweller terrible we won't get compensation for that.

We actually do have a 2015 First Round Pick. It is top-6 protected.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject:

KB#8,#24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerFan1972 wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
Moses wrote:

Ask the Utah Jazz how they feel about top whatever protected picks.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject:

JoJo Dancer wrote:
Quote:

The original plan was to have Dwight Howard to help lure LeBron after the Heat were to lose last year and this coming season. Since all of that flopped the 2014 plan makes even less sense. There is no plan IMO right now.

I'm sure there's a contingency plan, but this plan has a lot more moving parts. The Lakers are going to be watching Kobe and Pau very closely this season. If they both show that they are capable of playing at a high level, then the next step is to re-sign both as cheaply as possible because that will give them tremendous flexibility in terms of maximizing their cap room. Of course, a lot of things have to fall in place, and if they don't, then I imagine the Lakers will end up punting and delay things until the summer of 2015.
tom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject:

JoJo Dancer wrote:
Quote:

Tells you how important the Lakers are in America. That even news media covers them. lol
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject:

If the Miami Heat have a terrible season (Get swept in the playoffs or something), then I can see Lebron possibly leaving.

My prediction is the Heat lose a very close series in the ECF to the bulls/pacers/nets, and Riles will then promise Lebron that Miami will re-tool for another run. Lebron will entertain other teams, but sign with Miami.

Lebron isn't coming here, and isn't going back to Cleveland, with all the bad blood there with Gilbert.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject:

tsumlakers88 wrote:
zePokar wrote:
I hope something like this never happens.

^

This. Los Angeles Yankees anyone? I bleed Purple and Gold like most on here, but I have to admit it would be tough to root for those guys being on the roster. Just doesn't seem right in my opinion.

Won't be tough at all, and the Yankees comparison isn't a good one. The Yanks let their payroll soar to 200+ million in a league where there are about 10 teams in the 60 to 80 range. They're able to outbid free agents above market value and take on terrible contracts to plug holes if injuries settle in.

The Lakers have hard guidelines and have shown they're trimming the fat in terms of luxury tax spending. They're putting themeselves in position for James and Melo to come to LA for less than their current teams can pay them. After CP3 and Howard, I can easily root for a super team of LBJ, Melo and Kobe.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject:

If no lbj I'd go for melo and see if Detroit matches on Greg Monroe since they just dumped a big contract on Josh Smith and Drummond is still on rookie contract.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
KB#8,#24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerFan1972 wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
Moses wrote:

Ask the Utah Jazz how they feel about top whatever protected picks.

That does not make sense, in this situation we would be the Warriors and the Suns would be the Jazz, because if you have the top-5 worst record you generally are guarnteed a top-6 pick.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
If no lbj I'd go for melo and see if Detroit matches on Greg Monroe since they just dumped a big contract on Josh Smith and Drummond is still on rookie contract.

This!

PG-Nash
SG-Kobe
SF-Melo
PF-Monroe
C-Pau

If Monroe gets matched, I would target Gordon Hayward and think about playing Melo at the 4.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Melo on the Lakers would be the greatest challenge to my Laker fan-dom ever. We'd officially become the Knicks of the West. A mediocre-at-best laughing stock of a once proud franchise run into the ground by an idiot legacy kid owner.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8
Jump to: