May 17th: "UCLA Guards Will Audition in L.A." "Kobe And Nash Lead All-NBA First Team" "Brown Investigation Continues"

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: May 17th: "UCLA Guards Will Audition in L.A." "Kobe And Nash Lead All-NBA First Team" "Brown Investigation Continues"

UCLA Guards Will Audition in L.A.
Steve Springer
May 17, 2006

The Lakers and Clippers will stage workouts for Jordan Farmar and Arron Afflalo, according to the families of the UCLA sophomore guards.

They have made themselves available for the NBA draft June 28 but neither has hired an agent so they can retain their eligibility by withdrawing from draft consideration by June 18.

They are projected to be low first-round or high second-round picks. Farmar, a point guard, is rated slightly higher than Afflalo, a shooting guard.

Each player has said he wouldn't consider leaving school unless he was confident he would be a first-round pick.

"Either way, it's win-win for Jordan," said his mother, Mindy Kolani.

"If he comes back to UCLA, he will bring with him the knowledge he learned in this process. If he moves on, he will be doing something that he is very excited about."

Last edited by Phil on Wed May 17, 2006 4:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject:

T.J. Simers:
If You Dislike Clippers, You Don't Know Jack

May 17, 2006

PHOENIX — It might be the Clippers' finest moment, the team getting ready for a playoff game and the city's No. 1 Lakers fan flying here to witness it.

I thought Donald Sterling was going to knock me over in his rush to touch Jack Nicholson, Jack backing away rather than giving Sterling his best work from "The Shining," which meant Sterling put his hands on me.

Talk about taking one for the team.

I hung in there, Sterling rubbing my back while I asked Nicholson if he was finished with the Lakers, maybe upset that Kobe had tanked it down the stretch, and so now he was hopping on the Clippers' bandwagon?

"Look," he said, while tugging at his white shirt inside of a blue jacket. "Switzerland."
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject:

Kirkland continues rehab
UC senior working hard to get healthy
BY BILL KOCH | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

snippet:He said he has been contacted by the Lakers, Bulls and Spurs.

Armein Kirkland's recovery has reached the stage where he's tempted to join the University of Cincinnati basketball players on the floor when they play during open gym.

But he knows it's not time yet.

A little more than four months since he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, Kirkland is running again, although not yet at full speed. He can make cuts, but not the way he once did. He can elevate enough to shoot a jump shot, but can't leap with enough force to dunk the ball.

So he waits. He continues to rehab. And tries his best to remain patient.

"I know that I can at least run," Kirkland said Tuesday. "I could be on the court. But then, I'm like, no, I can't jump. I can't run like I want to. It's hard because I want to go out there and just do a little bit.

"I just want to play because I haven't played in so long, but I have to be patient and wait until I can play 100 percent. It seems like it's been forever."
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Kobe And Nash Lead All-NBA First Team
17th May, 2006 - 2:15 pm
Press Release - The 2005-06 NBA Most Valuable Player Steve Nash of the Phoenix Suns highlights the All-NBA First Team as the NBA announced the 2005-06 All-NBA teams today.

Joining Nash at guard on the All-NBA First Team is 2005-06 NBA leading scorer Kobe Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers . LeBron James of the Cleveland Cavaliers and Dirk Nowitzki of the Dallas Mavericks were selected at forward and Shaquille O’Neal of the Miami Heat was selected at the center position to round out the First Team.
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Lakers' Brown remains subject of probe
5/17/2006, 7:47 p.m. ET
The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Lakers center Kwame Brown is still the subject of an investigation into an alleged sexual assault that was reported weeks ago, police said Wednesday.

"The investigation's continuing and we're not going to release any information until such a time that there's either an arrest or a prosecution," said Lt. Paul Vernon, a police spokesman.

Vernon said he didn't know whether investigators had interviewed Brown, who has maintained his innocence.
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject:

Kobe defends himself against Barkley
Associated Press

5/17/2006 10:11:53 PM

ATLANTA (AP) - Kobe Bryant said Charles Barkley was wrong to call him "selfish" for not trying to score more during Game 7 of the Lakers' playoff loss to Phoenix.

Bryant and Barkley discussed their difference of opinion face-to-face Wednesday night when Bryant appeared as a studio guest during TNT's NBA playoff coverage.

Bryant took only three shots and scored one point during the second half of the Lakers' 121-90 loss to the Suns in the deciding game of their first-round series. Barkley was critical of Bryant's play on the air, believing he should have tried to take over the offense when his team needed it.

The criticism upset Bryant, who told Barkley so during some text message responses.

"We had a strategy that worked very well for us in three games," Bryant said. "We tried to keep the strategy going in Game 7, and the other games as well, but it didn't work for us. But we're out there to try and win, so to label me as being selfish is something I had to take up with Charles."
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: