Lakers in the News 12/8/12 "Jazz-Lakers Preview "

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Lakers in the News 12/8/12 "Jazz-Lakers Preview "

Quote:
Thunder hold off Lakers' late charge, win 114-108

By JEFF LATZKE (AP Sports Writer) | The Associated Press

OKLAHOMA CITY, OK - December 7 : Kevin Durant #35 of the Oklahoma City Thunder goes up for the dunk against the Los Angeles Lakers during an NBA game on …
View Photo
Oklahoma City Thunder guard Russell Westbrook gestures after hitting a 3-point shot to end the first quarter of an NBA basketball game against the Los …

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- In a reversal of roles, Kobe Bryant and the Los Angeles Lakers know they're the predators trying to track down Kevin Durant's Oklahoma City Thunder.
They have some work to do.
Durant had 36 points, Russell Westbrook scored 27 of his 33 in the first half to stake Oklahoma City to a commanding lead and the Thunder beat the short-handed Lakers 114-108 Friday night.
''They're a team that everybody likes. As a young team coming up, you always want to beat the best,'' Westbrook said. ''I think that's one of the things that motivates us.''
Bryant had 35 points for Los Angeles, which trailed by as many as 19 before rallying to get within four in the final minute.
Dwight Howard added 23 points and 18 rebounds for the Lakers, who were eliminated by the Thunder in five games in last season's Western Conference semifinals. Howard and Steve Nash were part of an offseason overhaul to try and catch up to the Thunder.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/thunder-hold-off-lakers-charge-053008751--nba.html

Last edited by Cha*n on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers Notebook: Dwight Howard works on his troubles at the line

By Mark Medina Staff Writer
Posted: 12/07/2012 10:44:47 PM PST
Updated: 12/07/2012 10:45:25 PM PST

OKLAHOMA CITY - Long after the balls stopped bouncing and the shoes stopped squeaking, Lakers center Dwight Howard stayed in the one place that has haunted him for most of his eight-year career.
The free-throw line.

Howard hoped extra work following a morning shootaround before the Lakers-Thunder game would improve his career-low 46.9 percent mark. Lakers guard Steve Nash joined him, a welcome development considering he's shot 90.4 percent from the line during his 17-year career. Lakers player development coach Phil Handy helped out, too.

"He was just suggesting some things, but it's not something we haven't already talked about or anybody else hasn't suggested," Howard said of Nash. "I just have to go up there and shoot it my way and not get caught up in what everybody else is saying.

"That's when I miss."

Both the Orlando Magic and Houston Rockets adopted the so-called "Hack a Dwight" strategy this week, in which they foul Howard before crossing midcourt and hope his misses at the foul line yield extra possessions. Although Howard went a combined 17 of 37 from the line in those losses, Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni has remained highly supportive of his star center.

"AAU and all these other camps, they pretty much wanted (Howard) to play inside the paint his entire career ever since he was 12 years old," Lakers guard Kobe Bryant said. "They wanted him to dunk everything, finish everything and he didn't want to shoot it

http://www.dailybulletin.com/ci_22151227/lakers-notebook-dwight-howard-works-his-troubles-at
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Thunder 114, Lakers 108
Posted by Darnell Mayberry on December 8, 2012M at 1:03 am
Nuggets from my notebook from Friday’s win over the Lakers.
Once again, the Lakers don’t pose much of a threat to the Thunder. Not in my eyes. The biggest threats to OKC are the Spurs, Clippers and Grizzlies. The Lakers, no matter how much talented they’ve added have one fundamental problem against the Thunder. His name is Russell Westbrook.
Westbrook proved yet again that the Lakers cannot guard him. You can spare me any talk about L.A. not having Steve Nash, Paul Gasol or Steve Blake. The three of them triple teaming Westbrook couldn’t stop him. In fact, throw Nash or Blake in front of Westbrook and it’s bound to get worse for L.A.
Westbrook scored 27 points in the first half tonight…and then he stopped himself because he couldn’t make a bucket. He took his foot off the gas after an amazing second quarter and never was able to rev it back up. The Lakers are sort of lucky he couldn’t.
It might have been the strangest great game we’ve ever seen from Westbrook. After dropping 27 on 10 of 16 shooting in the first half, he had just six on 2-for-10 shooting in the second.
The 3-ball was going for Westbrook tonight. He made five of seven, setting a career high for makes. His previous high was four, which he had done four times.
I must admit. When Westbrook made his first two 3s for the Thunder’s first six points I thought it had the potential to be the worst thing that could have happened to OKC. Westbrook might have had a false sense of security and began settling for more long-range shots. He sort of did. But since they went down it really didn’t matter.

http://blog.newsok.com/thunderrumblings/2012/12/08/thunder-114-lakers-108/
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The 3-ball was going for Westbrook tonight. He made five of seven, setting a career high for makes. His previous high was four, which he had done four times.

They mentioned that stat in the first half.

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/3593/1sthalf.png
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Dwight Howard vows better touch
Updated: December 8, 2012, 12:58 AM ET
By Dave McMenamin | ESPNLosAngeles.com

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Toward the end of shootaround Friday, Los Angeles Lakers guard Steve Nash approached Dwight Howard and offered up a couple of tips on how to shoot free throws.

Though Howard is shooting just 46.9 percent from the foul line this season, while Nash is tied with Mark Price for the best free throw percentage in NBA history at 90.4 percent, the Lakers center said he's had enough of people giving him advice.

My mind cannot get clouded with everybody telling me how to shoot a free throw. I just have to go up there and shoot it my way and not get caught up in what everybody else is saying, because that's when I miss.

-- Lakers center Dwight Howard
on free throw advice
"Listen, he was just suggesting some things, but it's not something that we've already talked about or anybody else has suggested," Howard said. "My mind cannot get clouded with everybody telling me how to shoot a free throw. I just have to go up there and shoot it my way and not get caught up in what everybody else is saying, because that's when I miss."

Howard has missed a lot lately, as the Lakers have lost two recent games at least in part because of the opposition employing a "Hack-a-Howard" strategy by intentionally fouling the big man and sending him to the line. Howard was just 9-for-21 from the line in a 113-103 loss to the Orlando Magic and just 8-for-16 from the line in a 107-105 loss to the Houston Rockets.

Kobe Bryant said Howard's deficiency from the stripe can be blamed on how he was coached to play basketball from an early age.

"I think it all depends on how you're raised, how you're taught the game from when you were little," Bryant said. "I think that's why it's such a critical thing in how we develop our players growing up, whether it's AAU and all these other camps.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8724580/los-angeles-lakers-dwight-howard-shuns-free-throw-pointers-kobe-bryant-sees-root
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Woman: Lakers Forward Devin Ebanks Sexually Assaulted Me, Said "It's Just Sex"

Follow us and never miss a story!

By Courthouse News, Fri, December 07, 2012
LOS ANGELES (CN) - A Jane Doe plaintiff claims in court that L.A. Lakers star Devin Ebanks sexually assaulted her.

Doe sued Ebanks in Superior Court on eight charges, including sexual assault, assault and battery, four counts of defamation, and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

She claims the assault happened in September 2011, after she had told him "that she did not want to get involved, did not want to be an NBA groupie, or basketball wife."

She says she saw Ebanks at the Colony nightclub in Hollywood at around 2 a.m., Sept. 13, 2011, and he asked if she wanted to go over to his house.

Doe says she told him "that she would go to his home if they were to just hang out, talk, go to sleep, but not have sex."

Ebanks said "he was fine with that," according to the complaint.

At his Marina del Rey apartment, she claims, Ebanks kissed her, and she "was okay with them kissing."

"Their kissing led to fondling. Defendant Ebanks removed her shirt and bra. But when defendant Ebanks tried to remove plaintiff's shorts and underwear, she immediately stopped the kissing and fondling, and verbally objected by saying 'No,' and telling him to stop

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/woman-claims-laker-sexually-assaulted-her
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Kobe says Lakers right on track

Despite loss to OKC, Bryant sees encouraging signs and says things will work out
Updated: December 8, 2012, 3:36 AM ET
By Dave McMenamin | ESPNLosAngeles.com

OKLAHOMA CITY -- The Los Angeles Lakers limped into the Chesapeake Energy Arena on Friday nearly seven months after their season ended here last spring in Game 5 of the Western Conference semifinals.

That night, after the Oklahoma City Thunder disposed of them and before the Lakers would enter an uneasy offseason filled with questions to be answered, Kobe Bryant declared that he and his team were not heading into obscurity.

"I'm not fading into the shadows, if that's what you're asking," Bryant said. "I'm not going anywhere. We're not going anywhere. ... Come hell or high water, we're going to be there again. There's just something about the Lakers organization."

The new-look Lakers returned Friday to where Bryant made his bold remarks. They did indeed use the offseason to revamp and retool and bring in Dwight Howard and Steve Nash to their starting five and Antawn Jamison and Jodie Meeks to their bench.

But, after a 114-108 loss to the Thunder that dropped the Lakers' record to just 9-11, are the Lakers back to being championship contenders, or are they still incapable of getting back to the title throne?

[+] Enlarge
Mark D. Smith/USA TODAY Sports
Kobe Bryant returned to where the Lakers' season ended last spring, saying he still believes good things are ahead for L.A.
"It doesn't seem like it, but I do," Bryant said after the game when asked whether he thinks the Lakers have answered his call. "I do. I think we have to shore up a few areas execution-wise, but I think we'll be fine."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8726059/kobe-bryant-says-believes-los-angeles-lakers-track
SilverBullet
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject:

Cha*n wrote:
Quote:

LOS ANGELES (CN) - A Jane Doe plaintiff claims in court that L.A. Lakers star Devin Ebanks sexually assaulted her.
C
Doe sued Ebanks in Superior Court on eight charges, including sexual assault, assault and battery, four counts of defamation, and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

She claims the assault happened in September 2011, after she had told him "that she did not want to get involved, did not want to be an NBA groupie, or basketball wife."

She says she saw Ebanks at the Colony nightclub in Hollywood at around 2 a.m., Sept. 13, 2011, and he asked if she wanted to go over to his house.

Doe says she told him "that she would go to his home if they were to just hang out, talk, go to sleep, but not have sex."

At his Marina del Rey apartment, she claims, Ebanks kissed her, and she "was okay with them kissing."

"Their kissing led to fondling. Defendant Ebanks removed her shirt and bra. But when defendant Ebanks tried to remove plaintiff's shorts and underwear, she immediately stopped the kissing and fondling, and verbally objected by saying 'No,' and telling him to stop

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/woman-claims-laker-sexually-assaulted-her

Lmao..so you went over a guy house at 2-3 in the morning. Made out with a guy and turned him on. But then cockblock him...and now suing him for t sexual assault??
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject:

Lakers First wrote:
Cha*n wrote:
Quote:

C

Lmao..so you went over a guy house at 2-3 in the morning. Made out with a guy and turned him on. But then cockblock him...and now suing him for t sexual assault??

Easy money
KingMamba323
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject:

<comment removed>
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject:

Thanks Cha*n. Good work !

Shoot me a PM when you need some help or in days you can't do this so I can see if I can fill in for you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Thanks Cha*n. Good work !

Shoot me a PM when you need some help or in days you can't do this so I can see if I can fill in for you.

Thanks wolf
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject:

6 new players, 3 new starters, 2 systems & a new head coach, yet with all that discombobulation, they're playing better offense AND Defense than the defending champs. Yeah, I'm comfortable with the direction they're headed. They'll start rounding into form in a couple weeks, and start humming about mid January.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
6 new players, 3 new starters, 2 systems & a new head coach, yet with all that discombobulation, they're playing better offense AND Defense than the defending champs. Yeah, I'm comfortable with the direction they're headed. They'll start rounding into form in a couple weeks, and start humming about mid January.

Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers still preaching patience, even as pressure builds
By Royce Young | Blogger
December 8, 2012 6:51 pm ET

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Twenty games down, almost exactly of a quarter of the season gone for the Lakers.

Pretty sure a 9-11 record, a fired coach and multiple injuries wasn't how this thing was supposed to go.

More on NBA
Related links
McHale returns to Rockets Saturday
Heat insist things will change for better
More NBA coverage
Berger | EyeOnBasketball | Blog | Podcast
After the Lakers were mostly worked over Friday night in Oklahoma City in a game in which they had a chance to make a little statement, it's obvious this team has a long road ahead to live up to the offseason hype showered on it. The Lakers are woefully inconsistent on the defensive end, they're old and they're slow.

But they also have 62 games to get things figured out, to get themselves healthy. And that's the message they preach. Because really, at this point, what else would you say?

"This team has just gotten together," Dwight Howard said following Friday's loss. "It's not like we're going to go out and get together and start winning right away. The only team that I've seen do that was Boston a couple years ago. We're learning how to play together. We're getting better. This is not on anybody's timetable but ours. We have to be patient and understand it's a process. We grew tonight despite the loss."

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/21323616/lakers-still-preaching-patience-even-as-the-pressure-builds
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Jazz-Lakers Preview

UPDATED DEC 8, 2012 11:43 PM ET

Still trying to adjust to a new coach and life without three key members of the rotation, the Los Angeles Lakers are focused on taking one small step at a time.

The Lakers will try to begin working their way back to the .500 mark Sunday night when they host the Utah Jazz, who could be without two impact frontcourt players of their own.

Los Angeles (9-11) fell to 4-6 under coach Mike D'Antoni with a 114-108 loss at Oklahoma City on Friday night.

Steve Nash isn't expected back until at least next week and Steve Blake is out at least six weeks with a torn abdominal muscle, leaving third-stringer Chris Duhon as the starting point guard.

Making matters worse, All-Star forward Pau Gasol has averaged just 10.1 points on 38.8 percent shooting since D'Antoni took over and could miss his fourth straight game because of tendinitis in both knees.

The Lakers, however, still have Kobe Bryant, the NBA's scoring leader at 28.4 per game. Bryant finished with 35 as Los Angeles cut a 19-point deficit down to four in the final minute Friday.

Dwight Howard added 23 points and 18 rebounds and even improved at the free-throw line, where he's shooting a league-low 47.7 percent. He shot 5 for 7 against the Thunder after making 12 of 24 in his two previous contests.

"It's not like we're going to get together and start winning right away," Howard said. "We're learning how to play together. We're getting better. This is not on anybody's time table but ours."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/JazzLakers-Preview-26912042
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: