QFTOS D12 Edition!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
La La Fan
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject:

A great (and funny) recap of Lakers history by a Boston Celtics fan!

Damn Lakers

http://clnsradio.com/2012/08/21/damn-lakers/

Quote:
The Lakers, those damn Lakers, have Dwight Howard as their centerpiece for the next seven to eight years. Dwight will re-sign in Los Angeles eventually. He won’t leave a world-class organization in a world-class city with great business opportunities outside of basketball, America’s most beautiful women, as well as “75 and sunny” for 355 of the 365 days of the year, for anywhere. Take it to the bank.
8>24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject:

La La Fan wrote:

Damn Lakers

Quote:
The Lakers, those damn Lakers, have Dwight Howard as their centerpiece for the next seven to eight years. Dwight will re-sign in Los Angeles eventually. He won’t leave a world-class organization in a world-class city with great business opportunities outside of basketball, America’s most beautiful women, as well as “75 and sunny” for 355 of the 365 days of the year, for anywhere. Take it to the bank.

Great read! Happy Tuesday!
cheetos82
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject:

8>24 wrote:
La La Fan wrote:

Damn Lakers

Quote:

Great read! Happy Tuesday!

Great! He forgot to mention we got Steve Nash from a hated rival for a place holder!
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject:

The tears from boston are just so much sweeter...yummm.....
George the Greek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject:

Quote:
No, not in a 7 game series. we might win the rondo- nash match up and maybe we have a slight edge on the bench but thier starters will kill our starters. we have no defense for the gasol howard front line. besides kg who else are we throwing out there? collins? melo?? come on, it's not even close. they would crush up front.

matrixskillz wrote:
everybody steals moves from everybody
I call that Basketball Communism.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Mark my words….the Lakers WILL NOT win the title with Howard there. They don’t have enough depth, their coach is awful, and Kobe is still a ballhog even with Nash there. Defensively they’re a joke. Kobe is done soon and after that, who can replace him?? They can’t draft anyone because they don’t have a 1st rounder until 2028. LA is on borrowed time and they will crash and burn before the Celtics do.
42lakers42
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject:

chris paul is out same amount of time as dwight howard? wow....clippers luck gets worse and worse,lol.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject:

SCHADENFREUDE!!!!!

Die choking on your own tears, Celtics scum!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!
Chick-N-Stew
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject:

celticsblow wrote:
24 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
24 wrote:
If that's true, be aware that 30% of whatever that is is going to go to the league as revenue sharing. If it is 200, things are much better for LA (it was only a hiccup of a short term loss at worst anyway).

I thought revenue sharing contributions were capped at $50ish mm since ultra high revenue teams won't get a payout?

Of course, everything I read is sketchy and contradictory (except for the cbafaq).

The only cap I've seen referenced is 30% on "profit" above 5 million after a specified calculation of revenues minus some expenses. Since LA is already a payer, any increase in the TV deal would be "profit".

And any increase in team salary would reduce said profit, no? Also, I wonder if the tax is deducted before determining profit? Makes sense that it would be.

I hope that's the case. If so, that means FO has plenty of incentive to spend on players salary as any expenditure on salary/increase in tax would mean a decrease of profit and a decrease in profit sharing. That would be a nice little loophole... would mean a dollar spent on salary/tax is a thirty cent reduction in profit sharing, meaning their payroll/tax payment is only 70% of what it appears to be.

The Lakers front office is a savvy and forward thinking as they come. That TV deal made a sift in the landscape with the affordability for a super team in a time when the league was trying to wage a pre-emptive strike against such moves.
What the Lakers pulled off landing D12 may have propelled this franchise into the next generation while the other teams are still trying to figure out what to do.
WAND
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject:

celticsblow wrote:
24 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
24 wrote:
If that's true, be aware that 30% of whatever that is is going to go to the league as revenue sharing. If it is 200, things are much better for LA (it was only a hiccup of a short term loss at worst anyway).

I thought revenue sharing contributions were capped at $50ish mm since ultra high revenue teams won't get a payout?

Of course, everything I read is sketchy and contradictory (except for the cbafaq).

The only cap I've seen referenced is 30% on "profit" above 5 million after a specified calculation of revenues minus some expenses. Since LA is already a payer, any increase in the TV deal would be "profit".

And any increase in team salary would reduce said profit, no? Also, I wonder if the tax is deducted before determining profit? Makes sense that it would be.

I hope that's the case. If so, that means FO has plenty of incentive to spend on players salary as any expenditure on salary/increase in tax would mean a decrease of profit and a decrease in profit sharing. That would be a nice little loophole... would mean a dollar spent on salary/tax is a thirty cent reduction in profit sharing, meaning their payroll/tax payment is only 70% of what it appears to be.

The "profit" figure isn't actual profit, just a calculation of revenue minus certain expenses. And salary is figured at 1/30 of the league share (league average salary in effect), no matter how much or little you actually spend. You can't deduct higher salary in this calculation.

As an example, the figure NBA teams are expected to pay this year amounts to a little over 68 million per team. So LA is paying 32 mil in salary out of "profit" that has already had revenue sharing applied.
Laker Lover
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject:

If its sharing off luxury tax, ok I get it. But sharing any money off a tv deal, forget that.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Laker Lover wrote:
If its sharing off luxury tax, ok I get it. But sharing any money off a tv deal, forget that.

It's already a done deal.

The rationale is understandable:

The Lakers and Knicks have TV deals that pay them in the neighborhood of $3 million plus dollars per game - a Sacramento or Milwaukee may only get $6 million per season.

You can say "that's on the Sacto or Milwaukee owner for buying teams in bad markets" but:

1 - those guys never had the opportunity to buy the Lakers - Buss has owned them for 33 years and nearly risked bankruptcy rather than sell the team when he had financial woes; and

2 - without the Sactos and Milwaukees, the Lakers would have no one to play. Cutting out small markets decreases the popularity and overall BRI, so you have to have them to maximize profits for everyone.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject:

I agree Doc. I think the league should revenue share. I just hate the lux tax. Spending on good teams in big markets is good for the league. it lowers what the other owners have to pay in salary, and genrates far more national interest and revenue, not to mention the local revenue that gets shared. Essentially, the small market teams all get a minority stake in the big market teams. That's pretty fair to me.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
I agree Doc. I think the league should revenue share. I just hate the lux tax. Spending on good teams in big markets is good for the league. it lowers what the other owners have to pay in salary, and genrates far more national interest and revenue, not to mention the local revenue that gets shared. Essentially, the small market teams all get a minority stake in the big market teams. That's pretty fair to me.

The issue is that NBA owners want guaranteed profits like NFL owners have and that's only achievable if they have the same mechanisms as the NFL:

1) nearly 100% revenue sharing
2) hard salary cap
3) short term, non/partially guaranteed contracts

The NFL has #1 because of it's humungous national TV deals. The NBA doesn't have that but has several teams with VERY fat local/regional deals.

#s 1, 2 and 3 were achievable in the last CBA if the owners had been willing to flush a season and a half down the drain, but in an entity consisting of 30 mafia bosses with different balance sheets. it was a tough bet.

The NFL was able to achieve it simply because two owners - Art Effing Modell and Wellington Mara - each had the opportunity to negotiate individual national deals for their teams (a la Notre Dame) but instead were visionary enough to realize that they'd make more money over a longer period of time by including the whole league.
8>24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
24 wrote:

The issue is that NBA owners want guaranteed profits like NFL owners have and that's only achievable if they have the same mechanisms as the NFL:

2) hard salary cap

The NFL has #1 because of it's humungous national TV deals. The NBA doesn't have that but has several teams with VERY fat local/regional deals.

#s 1, 2 and 3 were achievable in the last CBA if the owners had been willing to flush a season and a half down the drain, but in an entity consisting of 30 mafia bosses with different balance sheets. it was a tough bet.

The NFL was able to achieve it simply because two owners - Art Effing Modell and Wellington Mara - each had the opportunity to negotiate individual national deals for their teams (a la Notre Dame) but instead were visionary enough to realize that they'd make more money over a longer period of time by including the whole league.

Since the Lakers now have a new revenue stream, is this shared with the league? If so, do the Lakers get to cover their expenses first, players salary, luxury tax etc, then divvy out the rest? As long as the Lakers get to eat first, why not pay huge taxes in the future.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject:

8>24 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
24 wrote:

2) hard salary cap

Since the Lakers now have a new revenue stream, is this shared with the league? If so, do the Lakers get to cover their expenses first, players salary, luxury tax etc, then divvy out the rest? As long as the Lakers get to eat first, why not pay huge taxes in the future.

This is where I am unclear - the CBAFAQ says that each team contributes the same percentage of revenues minus certain expenses, but does not detail those expenses except to say "certain arena expenses." If those expenses include mortgage payments on arenas or changeover costs from Hockey to Basketball is not laid out in the FAQ.

My interpretation is that the revenue is gross-minus-some-isolated, individualized-expenses, not gross-minus-total-expenses.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
8>24 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
24 wrote:

2) hard salary cap

This is where I am unclear - the CBAFAQ says that each team contributes the same percentage of revenues minus certain expenses, but does not detail those expenses except to say "certain arena expenses." If those expenses include mortgage payments on arenas or changeover costs from Hockey to Basketball is not laid out in the FAQ.

My interpretation is that the revenue is gross-minus-some-isolated, individualized-expenses, not gross-minus-total-expenses.

We don't know what is entailed in all of the allowed expenses, but we do know that teams are allowed to deduct 1/30 of the total NBA salaries for the year per the CBA as an expense, but no more. So if the players' share comes to 2.1 billion, "pre-profit" salary expenses would be 70 million, no matter what was actually spent.
ThreePointBomber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Damn, Lakers just when the Mavs were building a championship calibur team fir 2012....

ThreePointBomber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
However, Lakers fans shouldn't count their chickens before they hatch. First off, let's not forget that Howard is only under contract for this season and has yet to play a game for the team. For all we know, he could hate being a Laker and become a clubhouse cancer.

On a similar note, this is a man who basically kicked and screamed his way out of Orlando. In LA, he may have one hell of a wake up call when he realizes that it's Kobe Bryant's team and that he's just a member of the supporting cast. If the three-time Defensive Player of the Year can't accept that, it could become a nightmare situation for all parties: the fans, the players and especially the front office that traded for Howard.

Are people really this stupid, or in denial?
cheetos82
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject:

VujacicForThree wrote:
Quote:
However, Lakers fans shouldn't count their chickens before they hatch. First off, let's not forget that Howard is only under contract for this season and has yet to play a game for the team. For all we know, he could hate being a Laker and become a clubhouse cancer.

On a similar note, this is a man who basically kicked and screamed his way out of Orlando. In LA, he may have one hell of a wake up call when he realizes that it's Kobe Bryant's team and that he's just a member of the supporting cast. If the three-time Defensive Player of the Year can't accept that, it could become a nightmare situation for all parties: the fans, the players and especially the front office that traded for Howard.

Was the op Cleopatra, Queen of the Nile? *rim shot* thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week.
Greatness
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject:

VujacicForThree wrote:
Quote:

People just tell themselves these things to feel better... All the reasons I've heard are ridiculous. Howard's going to stay. More money, better team and surrounded by great personnel dedicated to winning. He's going to keep quiet as long as he's winning. Kobe's not a young kid in his mid 20's; He understands the end is much closer and opportunity to win more rings is slipping. I doubt there will be any clash between the two. Imo, Kobe should be relieved he can trust others with the ball. It'll be less wear and tear on his body.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject:

VujacicForThree wrote:
Quote:

Both.
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I am going to laugh my a$$ off when all the idiot news people, and all the idiot fans, for an entire season, predict the Lakers to win the west, then OKC waxes their a$$ in the western conf. finals. Lakers over OKC? Are you kidding me? Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka....ALL UNDER 25! By the time the playoffs come around next season, Kobe will be 34, Pau will be 33, Metta will be 33, Antawn Jamison will be 37, and Steve Nash will be 39. They wouldn't win the west in a retirement home basketball league much less the NBA . They didn't get that much better. That added Nash, and they added Howard by subtracting Bynum. That really isnt much of an improvement at the center spot. all they added was nash. And lets be honest.....last time i checked, Nash is most effective with run and gun players like marion at pf, amare at C, and shooters on the outside. What good does one of the best passers ever do you when all he is going to do is pass the ball inside to howard and gasol when they post up? Those two trees downlow make nash ineffective. With miami and okc, nash would be valuable. with 2 seven foot tree stumps downlow, nash makes no difference. he needs athletes like amare and marion

What's funny about these types of morons, is that last season, they were screaming how Dwight was "so much better" than Bynum, but now that the trade has occurred, SUDDENLY, they act like there is no difference. I love reading comments from these desperate heat and thunder fans.
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, Nash needs athletes like Amare and Marion. What's he going to do with a tree stump like Dwight Howard?

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
slee01333
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Lakers95 wrote:
Quote:
I am going to laugh my a$$ off when all the idiot news people, and all the idiot fans, for an entire season, predict the Lakers to win the west, then OKC waxes their a$$ in the western conf. finals. Lakers over OKC? Are you kidding me? Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka....ALL UNDER 25! By the time the playoffs come around next season, Kobe will be 34, Pau will be 33, Metta will be 33, Antawn Jamison will be 37, and Steve Nash will be 39. They wouldn't win the west in a retirement home basketball league much less the NBA . They didn't get that much better. That added Nash, and they added Howard by subtracting Bynum. That really isnt much of an improvement at the center spot. all they added was nash. And lets be honest.....last time i checked, Nash is most effective with run and gun players like marion at pf, amare at C, and shooters on the outside. What good does one of the best passers ever do you when all he is going to do is pass the ball inside to howard and gasol when they post up? Those two trees downlow make nash ineffective. With miami and okc, nash would be valuable. with 2 seven foot tree stumps downlow, nash makes no difference. he needs athletes like amare and marion

What's funny about these types of morons, is that last season, they were screaming how Dwight was "so much better" than Bynum, but now that the trade has occurred, SUDDENLY, they act like there is no difference. I love reading comments from these desperate heat and thunder fans.

true that !!!

i can't believe that idiot had the audacity to say "they didn't get much better"...WOW...just WOW
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 15 of 17
Jump to: