Lakers Nation Is Looking For An Intern

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LG Neighborhood Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Lakers Nation Is Looking For An Intern

Quote:
Hi there.

Lakers Nation has grown tremendously in the past year to become one of the largest independent sports sites in the world. We’ve reached a point where we need an intern to help us out. Our “office” is located in Pasadena and we’d like to fill up that chair in the corner with a hard working, creative, dedicated, curious soul aka known as THE Intern.

Basics:

• You should really want to be an online journalist, an online marketing person, or have some desire to want to learn how to build an online community of awesome fans.
  • Be able to write.
  • LOVE the Lakers. LOVE Sports in General. LOVE Learning.
  • Be internet savvy – HTML, Facebook, Tumblr, Pinterest, Twitter, Reddit and WordPress just to name a few.
  • Use OSX & it’s suite of apps. I have absolutely no patience with PC-users and their blue screens of death.
  • Be Over 18.
  • Know how to do basic photoshop and video-editing.
  • NOT Camera Shy – we might just stick you in front of a camera one day, so you best be ready.
  • Ability to commit 15-20 hours a week working out of the “office” and/or at home.

What you’ll gain from this experience:

• A solid foundation of internet marketing and content production.
  • Learning some insights into the world of sports news reporting.
  • Learning how to pitch stories
  • A skill set that will make you a superstar at your next job.
  • School Credit if you’re counselors are cool like USC and LMU’s counselors.
  • A bunch of other stuff that I can’t think of right now.

If you think you have what it takes, we might be able to find some room in the budget for a stipend after you put in some time to prove your worth.

What you need to do:

• Email your resume to mailbag [(at)] lakersnation.com with the subject line “Best Intern EVER”
  • Tell us about yourself, what you’ve done in the past and why you think you’d be perfect for this internship.
  • Bonus points for people who make a video of themselves and include that youtube link in your email.

Deadline is June 30, 2012 to get your applications in.

We really look forward to hearing from you.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-nation-is-looking-for-an-intern/2012/06/11/
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers Nation Is Looking For An Intern

Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
Quote:
Hi there.

Lakers Nation has grown tremendously in the past year to become one of the largest independent sports sites in the world. We’ve reached a point where we need an intern to help us out. Our “office” is located in Pasadena and we’d like to fill up that chair in the corner with a hard working, creative, dedicated, curious soul aka known as THE Intern.

Basics:

• You should really want to be an online journalist, an online marketing person, or have some desire to want to learn how to build an online community of awesome fans.
  • Be able to write.
  • Be internet savvy – HTML, Facebook, Tumblr, Pinterest, Twitter, Reddit and WordPress just to name a few.
  • Use OSX & it’s suite of apps. I have absolutely no patience with PC-users and their blue screens of death.
  • Be Over 18.
  • NOT Camera Shy – we might just stick you in front of a camera one day, so you best be ready.
  • Ability to commit 15-20 hours a week working out of the “office” and/or at home.

If you think you have what it takes, we might be able to find some room in the budget for a stipend after you put in some time to prove your worth.

What you need to do:

• Email your resume to mailbag [(at)] lakersnation.com with the subject line “Best Intern EVER”
  • Tell us about yourself, what you’ve done in the past and why you think you’d be perfect for this internship.
  • Bonus points for people who make a video of themselves and include that youtube link in your email.

Mac Users only? Well shucks.

I think I'll send this guy an e-mail with the top ten reasons why owning a PC > owning a Mac.
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Use OSX & it’s suite of apps. I have absolutely no patience with PC-users and their blue screens of death.

Makes me not want to work for them. The ignorance just makes me want to ...

BSoD is a hardware problem , as if Macs can't have hardware malfunction. I'd take the ability to actually customize my hardware specifically for what I want my computer for over having preset everything any day; even if that means the possibility of something going wrong.

But hey, I'm sure your macboook looks supppppppper cool at starbucks.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject:

Day wrote:
Quote:
Use OSX & it’s suite of apps. I have absolutely no patience with PC-users and their blue screens of death.

Makes me not want to work for them. The ignorance just makes me want to ...

BSoD is a hardware problem , as if Macs can't have hardware malfunction. I'd take the ability to actually customize my hardware specifically for what I want my computer for over having preset everything any day; even if that means the possibility of something going wrong.

But hey, I'm sure your macboook looks supppppppper cool at starbucks.

The guy who wrote this doesn't seem to be the smartest cookie in the jar either. They want a great writer and he can't be bothered to correct his own numerous grammatical errors?

And it looks like they don't even pay you a normal wage.
Sportsmuze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject:

LOL MAC ONLY

omg wow

they just lost all credibility

well... they have always been a joke to be honest, iono how they got popular with their garbage articles.
Jonny Craig
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject:

that place is such a wannabe try hard "Oh look how professional we are" website. It's embarrassing.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject:

LG is kicking LakersNation's backside in terms of traffic. Even though Alexa is not great for metrics, it gives a general idea where sites are at:

Lakersground - Alexa 48,657
Lakersnation - Alexa 70,174

Lakersground is beating them in traffic even without a build out in social media via fb, twitter, tumblr, etc. Imagine the traffic after utilizing all of those avenues.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject:

I wonder if I'm to old.....I don't own a Mac.. but I have a nice older Chevy Avalanche ?
ForrestHump
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject:

Mac is trash.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
LG is kicking LakersNation's backside in terms of traffic. Even though Alexa is not great for metrics, it gives a general idea where sites are at:

Lakersground is beating them in traffic even without a build out in social media via fb, twitter, tumblr, etc. Imagine the traffic after utilizing all of those avenues.

Hey, I'd be happy to intern for LG and expand its social media exposure
pkflyers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject:

K2 wrote:

agreed, and this site is just a forum

imagine if this site had full articles on it homepage

Big Game James wrote:
I'm Kwame Brown and every one of my posts seem to be moved. I find this perplexing because I've never had a post move before!

http://tinyurl.com/snxt
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Atticus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Forget the Mac stuff, unpaid internships are slowly becoming more and more exposed as being complete bull. And I'm not sure of the exact legal issues involved, but when I was (recently) in college and doing unpaid internships, all of my employers were very, very serious about me not working until they got confirmation from my school that I was getting course credit. One of them mentioned some sort of legal liability issues.

But good luck to them getting a college kid to come work for free, with only the promise of "possibly making room in the budget" for some money...so that they could put on their resume that they were a writer/contributor on a low-traffic Lakers fan website. Yeah, that will look great!
Manu
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Atticus wrote:
Forget the Mac stuff, unpaid internships are slowly becoming more and more exposed as being complete bull. And I'm not sure of the exact legal issues involved, but when I was (recently) in college and doing unpaid internships, all of my employers were very, very serious about me not working until they got confirmation from my school that I was getting course credit. One of them mentioned some sort of legal liability issues.

But good luck to them getting a college kid to come work for free, with only the promise of "possibly making room in the budget" for some money...so that they could put on their resume that they were a writer/contributor on a low-traffic Lakers fan website. Yeah, that will look great!

CA especially is very strict about wage/labor laws. Unless it is in association with an accredited school program, for credit, unpaid internships are illegal. Plain and simple.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Looks like they are straddling a fine line. Interesting the "office" in the original posting is in quotes. It sounds like it might be an executive suite or temp office.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun/28/business/la-fi-smallbiz-interns-20100628
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject:

TheVujacicFan wrote:
K2 wrote:

Hope there's an opportunity for LG to expand along those lines!
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
Looks like they are straddling a fine line. Interesting the "office" in the original posting is in quotes. It sounds like it might be an executive suite or temp office.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun/28/business/la-fi-smallbiz-interns-20100628

Electrical outlet inside an alley between two office buildings?

K2 wrote:
TheVujacicFan wrote:
K2 wrote:

Hope there's an opportunity for LG to expand along those lines!

I'll join, but I need LarryCoon to reinstate the email address I used while taking summer courses at UCI.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers Nation Is Looking For An Intern

TheVujacicFan wrote:
Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
Quote:
Hi there.

Basics:

• Be able to write.
  • Be Over 18.

What you need to do:

Mac Users only? Well shucks.

I think I'll send this guy an e-mail with the top ten reasons why owning a PC > owning a Mac.

At least we know where Kevin disappeared to...
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject:

I used to be a VERY active user on TLN, and "getgarnett", (both the chatroom and the site) in 07-mid 09, but that place just stopped feeling "right" after a while.
LakersNation
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject:

well, i didin't think you guys would hate on us this much about an internship position. I guess it's only fair that I get a chance to explain some of the points you guys have brought up.

The OSX crack was because I have an extra iMac for the intern to use. Since we don't get as much traffic as LG according to Alexa, it's the best I can do for them. Also, we are able to give the interns credit at their schools much like how we've done for former USC students. We have read the rules on internships in the state of California and do plan on a stipend for this program.

Yes, my grammar sucks. I can't disagree with you guys on that at all.

Not really trying to wage war with LG, since I really respect what has been created here and the community here has always been awesome. From my dealings with Larry Coon, he's always been a great help to Lakers Nation and I've always been a supporter of these forums because of that.

I'm honestly just a fan that met great people who have helped me create Lakers Nation. We have a bunch of great writers from the local schools at USC, LMU and from around the country, so what I'm really doing here is to make sure their names aren't tarnished for internship posting.

I know some people are going to hate on us no matter what I say here, but I hope most of you can see that our goal was to bring together as many laker fans as we could in our own way, through news, updates and social media.

Again, I'm a big fan of LG and respect the hell out of the community for the great stuff they always have on here. If you guys ever have any questions for me, feel free to PM me and I'll get back to you as quickly as I can.

- Gary, Owner of LakersNation.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject:

LakersNation wrote:
well, i didin't think you guys would hate on us this much about an internship position. I guess it's only fair that I get a chance to explain some of the points you guys have brought up.

The OSX crack was because I have an extra iMac for the intern to use. Since we don't get as much traffic as LG according to Alexa, it's the best I can do for them. Also, we are able to give the interns credit at their schools much like how we've done for former USC students. We have read the rules on internships in the state of California and do plan on a stipend for this program.

Yes, my grammar sucks. I can't disagree with you guys on that at all.

Not really trying to wage war with LG, since I really respect what has been created here and the community here has always been awesome. From my dealings with Larry Coon, he's always been a great help to Lakers Nation and I've always been a supporter of these forums because of that.

I'm honestly just a fan that met great people who have helped me create Lakers Nation. We have a bunch of great writers from the local schools at USC, LMU and from around the country, so what I'm really doing here is to make sure their names aren't tarnished for internship posting.

I know some people are going to hate on us no matter what I say here, but I hope most of you can see that our goal was to bring together as many laker fans as we could in our own way, through news, updates and social media.

Again, I'm a big fan of LG and respect the hell out of the community for the great stuff they always have on here. If you guys ever have any questions for me, feel free to PM me and I'll get back to you as quickly as I can.

- Gary, Owner of LakersNation.com

Sorry, I can't take that with a straight face.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LG Neighborhood All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: