What changes or improvements would you like to see on LakersGround?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
If participants can't engage in the subject matter appropriately, you eliminate the participants, not the subject matter. That course of action could actually be very good for the site overall when it comes to improving the level of discussion all over the site regardless of the topic.

When it comes to these types of things, I always fall back on the fact that LG is primarily designed to be a site for Laker fans to get together and talk about the Lakers. We have places to discuss other things that are related and unrelated because it's a nice thing to have, but we can't be everything. The amount of time required to police political discussions in order to keep them civil is really more than most of us are willing to devote.
Senor Mortgage
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject:

Nothing new here but things I would like to reinterate as things that matter to me.

1. Minimum post counts for topics. It would go a great way in keeping the forum relatively civil and well organized. It would limit reactionary post game threads.

2. Continued ban on politics and religion board. While I'm sure there are forums that can discuss both matters in a civil fashion, a boards catered to a fanatical, dedicated bunch of sports fans is likely not a group prone to level head, civil, political discussion, especially now where the economy is lousy, and political tensions are higher than they've been in a while.

3. Imbeded images would definitely be a welcome addition.

4. So would the idea that limits quote pyramids, such as a 2 quote tag maximum limit or something.

10scott10 wrote:

and has killed them ever since jack kent cooke owned the team. i really don't think the lakers franchise is contractually even allowed to defend the high pick and roll.
kontrast
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
imbed images in posts.

dmlakerfan01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject:

I'm actually glad I don't have to fight anyone over politics here. Like a safe haven from the daily minutiae of the never ending scrap between liberals, and conservatives.

We're just all Laker's fans, who all have very divergent views on life, and what society should be, but we don't necessarily have to air it out at this forum.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Again, I don't see how "content" is limited to written words.

This board has done just fine with content limited to written words. Having drunk, immature, or over-excited posters dropping stupid images and videos into posts is not "content."

DaMuleRules wrote:
And as for signature banners obscuring content, that's only going to happen to those who are easily distracted by pictures and colors, and such people aren't going to be looking for, nor reading written content.

When I go to boards that allow that garbage, it obscures the content for me. I'm looking to read about and discuss basketball, not to see whatever creative (or, more typically, immature, banal, and borderline offensive) things people stick in their signatures.

DaMuleRules wrote:
Even if you don't take it to the point that you allow signature graphics (which honestly aren't anymore disruptive to content than animated avatars), the benefits of photos as content outweigh the downsides. It's not like people aren't posting links to such things - the "content" doesn't suffer".

Except in rare cases, there are no benefits. How many posts have you written in recent months that truly would have benefited from a picture? What are we going to get? Shots of Kobe dunking, or Gasol in his Spanish National Team jersey, or Artest running his mouth to the media? Who needs it? You can provide a link, and the people who want to see the image can click the link.

DaMuleRules wrote:
And as for the idea of people "abusing" it. That's easily dealt with erasing the link and warning the offenders.

Great. More work for the mods, and more whining from people who think they ought to be able to insert 5-10 images into a post or whatever. It would add nothing but headaches.
RhodyRay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject:

[/quote]Embedding images/videos in your post: This is an interesting suggestion, one where I can see both sides of the argument. On the one hand, it's definitely cool to add pics/vids to your post, would really "spice" the site up. On the other, if there are too many pics/vids being posted, the content gets lost in the shuffle, and LG has always prided itself in content. I'd like to hear more opinions on this one (ditto for graphics in sigs).
[/quote]

Don't do this. When you start allowing images and videos in post the board will get filled with way too much junk. What makes this board better than all others on the internet is it is fairly simple & clean. Best to keep it that way. More content and less gimmicks. Save that for the kiddie boards.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
imbed images in posts.

Get rid of the current quote system (The quote pyramids are funny but can really screw up a page)

Hmmm.... talking about what will "screw up a page"... "imbed images in posts" as you put it WILL certainly DO JUST THAT!!!... in my opinion that is what actually totally ruins other forums that allow this... a really BAD idea!!!

As far as the "quote pyramids" (strings) are concerned... IF this is NOT allowed AT ALL then CONTEXT becomes very problematic.... the only problem with quotes is including TO MUCH in the quotes... this can easily be resolved by limiting the number of characters allowed in quotes... problem solved...

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject:

Senor Mortgage wrote:
Nothing new here but things I would like to reinterate as things that matter to me.

1. Minimum post counts for topics. It would go a great way in keeping the forum relatively civil and well organized. It would limit reactionary post game threads.

2. Continued ban on politics and religion board. While I'm sure there are forums that can discuss both matters in a civil fashion, a boards catered to a fanatical, dedicated bunch of sports fans is likely not a group prone to level head, civil, political discussion, especially now where the economy is lousy, and political tensions are higher than they've been in a while.

3. Imbeded images would definitely be a welcome addition.

4. So would the idea that limits quote pyramids, such as a 2 quote tag maximum limit or something.

After posting my thoughts on embedded images that have been suggested by so many I noticed this post on the last page and have to respond...

With all due respect I have to say that I diametrically disagree with most of what you suggest...

1. By limiting the number of topic replies per member (post counts on topics) you deny members the opportunity to make what often can be meaningful interchange or dialogue that is so very important in a forum like this... BAD IDEA...

2. This is already being done (good idea however)...

3. As I posted before embedding images is a TERRIBLE idea and would totally clutter up the forum with mostly meaningless junk that takes up all kinds of room on the forum and of course adds just one more element to monitor for appropriateness.... REALLY BAD IDEA...

4. Limiting the number of "quotes" in a "quote pyramid" (string) can result in loosing the ability to retain context in a dialogue... limiting the number of characters to a point that still allows enough ability to retain context yet keeps the size of the "quotes" down to a reasonable limit would be the MUCH BETTER way to go... Sorry I have to say that a 2 quote tag maximum is in my humble opinion a very BAD IDEA...

I would like to add that CHANGE is not always necessary or a good thing... in my view what makes this forum the BEST there is which I believe is the case is because for the most part members are allowed to post ideas freely in context to what has been posted with as little limitations as possible and most importantly the board is not cluttered up with embedded images in the text portion of the board that would do nothing but distract from the site... the avatars are a great idea but even with them some get carried away... imagine what it would be like embedding images in the message part of the board... clearly doing this would totally ruin a good thing...

All said and done... in my view the board is JUST FINE THE WAY IT IS BASICALLY... I lean toward less topic restrictions as far as locked threads but other than that I can't see much where any improvements are necessary at all... We DON'T NEED TO CHANGE WHAT IS ALREADY A GOOD THING, IMHO...

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
Wolverine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
All said and done... in my view the board is JUST FINE THE WAY IT IS BASICALLY... We DON'T NEED TO CHANGE WHAT IS ALREADY A GOOD THING, IMHO...

kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject:

The biggest thing I would like to see is a thread preview function like phayze one said.
Jerry Atrick
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject:

I would like to see the poster identified several times in the left panel, especially on long posts, so I don't have to scroll up to see who the poster was. Maybe at the middle and at the end of a post.

I generally read a post and if it is interesting or contraversial (sp?), I scroll up to identify the poster.

A spell checker would be nice also.

Regards, Jerry Atrick
Marty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject:

Reading the suggestions, the most popular are the following:

* Embedding Pictures
    * Embedding Videos
    * Chatbox during gameday

DMR, I agree with you that pics/vids are also content. But you must also remember that LG is not CNN or NBA.com. LG doesn't necessarily need to put actual photos to describe particular events. Too much graphics in post and/or signature is the main reason why I don't go to CL anymore, as it is not discreet when I am browsing at work. Maybe it's because of my age (>30), but I like LG's clean straight-forward format.

However, if LG staff decide to upgrade the site that allows embedding, I hope they give user an option to show/not show pics in post, just like in Invision boards.

==========

Tony Almeida wrote:
Me wrote:
I agree. Content >>> Graphics.

Personally, I don't like too many graphics on a page. It may look "fancy" but at the end of the day, we still prefer meaty, reliable content.

About video embedding, maybe we can have an AJAX feature where a user has an option to "watch" it on the same page, a la reddit. If a user clicks on "WATCH" the video shows up below without having to reload the page or leaving the site.

Yeah, I think it's a good idea to be able to post videos in a post. I wonder if it's possible to set it up so that when someone links a video in a post, the youtube box doesn't show up in the post (rather, just a link that says "video link" or "watch") until a user clicks on the link, after which the youtube video displays in the post and can be viewed without leaving the site. Kind of like a toggle to hide/unhide the youtube box. I don't know if that's what you were describing, but I think that would be ideal as the video wouldn't take up space in the thread unless someone clicks to watch it.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject:

1) Agree with the minimum post count to start new threads.
2) If expanded/embedded pics/videos end up being added, also add an on/off switch for users who'd prefer not to view.
3) Like the idea of expanding/collapsing ability on long quoted posts.
4) Like being able to enter a thread by jumping directly to the newest post since last visit.
5) I really miss the rolling eyes emoticon -- I know it can be abused, but sometimes it's the most perfect response possible.
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject:

I'll add in my opinion on some of the other suggestions later, but I wanted to bring up a couple points --

1. Embedding images/pics - For those against this (and it is a legitimate argument), what if users had the option to show/hide the pics/videos as was earlier described? The way I envision it, if you choose the hide option, the links would show up as they do now, maybe with the text reading "Watch Video / View Pic", and only when you click on it would the pic/vid drop down in the post. You would get to maintain things as they are now, with the benefit of viewing the pics/vid in the post as opposed to having a new window open. For those who choose the show option, the pics/vid will automatically be embedded in the post.

Also, for the pics, I personally would like it so that embedded pics would automatically be resized to predetermined dimensions. Not too large so the page is unreadable, but also big enough to view the image.

I liked the idea that when quoting a post with pics in it, the pics wouldn't show up.

I'm not saying we're doing this one way or the other, but if we do, I would want to make sure it's done right, so it's good to have discussion to try and figure out the best solution for everyone.

2. Politics/religion forum - In addition to what Ex said, I would say another concern would be problems spilling over from that forum into the other forums. Yes, I think a decent amount of people could and would have respectful debates and wouldn't hold a grudge or resentment towards opposing posters, but I also think the opposite is true, and we could see posters taking their conflict with each other from the politics forum into the Lounge, which is just another extra aspect for us to moderate.

3. Quote pyramid - I like the idea Master)v(ind posted on the previous page. We actually were talking about something very similar, except instead of having the ability to unhide the quotes (except of course the most recent), we were going to snip them and put in text that said that the quote was snipped. That would probably be the easier way, but Master)v(ind's suggestion would be a good solution, too. It's probably harder to implement, though.

I also disagree that context will be lost. Once you start quoting back and forth, it's only the most recent quote that is relevant. 3, 4, or 5 quotes back is no longer necessary to read and clutter the page.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject:

The logo needs to be changed to an L and a G inside a crop circle.
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:
I wonder if anyone already suggested CHANGE OF LG.NET LOGO.

Here are some logos that Zev came up with a while back --

(I personally liked 7 the best)

Quote:
Why not hold a logo contest, put the logos proposed in a poll with the one getting most votes be the new LG.net logo.

Might not be a bad idea to let members propose logos and put up a poll to decide.

Quote:
+ a guessing game prior to a Lakers game. Let's say Lakers vs. Foston Beltics ... the guesses may include:
-- final score and the one with the one with closest score and least margin wins and gets points.
-- the best scorer
-- player with most assist
-- etc, etc,..

Each correct (closest with the actual outcome) guess is rewarded with certain points. So, for each game there is always a winner or winners (if they tie). Further, those points are accumulated till the end of regular season until then there will be a winner (winners if tied). As for incentives, small token prize(s) can be rewarded if there are willing sponsors.

Although not exactly the same, another poster, All Net, has setup something similar link

JM wrote:
Nothing. Thanks for your continued efforts.

Appreciate it. Thanks.

On that note, for anyone who didn't know, Ex, Larry, DB, and Zev are really the tech guys for LG. They are the ones (in addition to the OG's like Jason and FaxData, and also Pokoy who is of course still here) who make/made the site and all it's features run. Just want to say big props to them for making it so.

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:

1. By limiting the number of topic replies per member (post counts on topics) you deny members the opportunity to make what often can be meaningful interchange or dialogue that is so very important in a forum like this... BAD IDEA...

I don't think the suggestion was to restrict new members from posting in certain topics based on their post count, rather, restricting new members (say, with less than 100 posts) from creating new threads. Often times new members, or trolls, sign up and immediately create redundant or unnecessary threads, causing even more chaos, either on purpose (troll), or because they don't know their way around the board yet (new members). Minimum post counts to create a new thread helps at least a little bit in that regard.

Quote:
4. Limiting the number of "quotes" in a "quote pyramid" (string) can result in loosing the ability to retain context in a dialogue... limiting the number of characters to a point that still allows enough ability to retain context yet keeps the size of the "quotes" down to a reasonable limit would be the MUCH BETTER way to go... Sorry I have to say that a 2 quote tag maximum is in my humble opinion a very BAD IDEA...

As I mentioned in my previous post, context won't be lost. You'll have the most recent quote, which also happens to be the most relevant. Post/quote #3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, don't need to be in the quote pyramid anymore, and really makes the page hard to read for everyone. It may be possible to have quote 2/3/4/5/etc. be collapsed, with the option to view them, although again, I think that would be a lot harder to implement than outright snipping them. In either case, the quoting structure needs to be changed to make threads easier to read.

Jerry Atrick wrote:
I would like to see the poster identified several times in the left panel, especially on long posts, so I don't have to scroll up to see who the poster was. Maybe at the middle and at the end of a post.

I think that would screw with the appearance a bit too much without enough benefit, as users would find it odd to see a poster's username listed several times when they post.

Quote:
A spell checker would be nice also.

I don't know about other browsers, but Mozilla Firefox has a built-in spell checker which underlines misspelled words in red.

ChefLinda wrote:
5) I really miss the rolling eyes emoticon -- I know it can be abused, but sometimes it's the most perfect response possible.

This gets requested fairly often, and considering we still have the "BS flag" emoticon, I personally think we could bring back the rolling eyes emoticon, too.
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject:

iphone APP is a must!
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject:

bambam wrote:
iphone APP is a must!

I think we'll have this sooner rather than later. Seems like a fairly popular request, and it would be a good addition.

Until then, here is the link for the mobile version of the website -- http://forums.lakersground.net/togo/index.php
SlickVic
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject:

I don't see what's wrong with embedding images/GIFs. They allow this on neoGAF and I still think the thread layout ends up looking clean and quite frankly, people post some hilarious gifs on there.

I think the thing that makes some boards look messy is allowing the picture/gif sigs so I'm not advocating those.
The_Lakers_Show
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject:

Tony Almeida wrote:
bambam wrote:
iphone APP is a must!

I think we'll have this sooner rather than later. Seems like a fairly popular request, and it would be a good addition.

Until then, here is the link for the mobile version of the website -- http://forums.lakersground.net/togo/index.php

Would that carry over as a Blackberry app as well?
Go Trojans

Buck Foston
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject:

Tony Almeida wrote:
1. Embedding images/pics - For those against this (and it is a legitimate argument), what if users had the option to show/hide the pics/videos as was earlier described? The way I envision it, if you choose the hide option, the links would show up as they do now, maybe with the text reading "Watch Video / View Pic", and only when you click on it would the pic/vid drop down in the post. You would get to maintain things as they are now, with the benefit of viewing the pics/vid in the post as opposed to having a new window open. For those who choose the show option, the pics/vid will automatically be embedded in the post.

Also, for the pics, I personally would like it so that embedded pics would automatically be resized to predetermined dimensions. Not too large so the page is unreadable, but also big enough to view the image.

I liked the idea that when quoting a post with pics in it, the pics wouldn't show up.

Not to "go on record" that this is a bad idea, but I agree with those asking to eliminate the ".gif" profile pics.

For instance, Ace626's profile pic: http://cdn0.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/42823/b7kqbt.gif

It slows down every thread that I read, that he has posted in.

For instance, Ace626's off-topic thread: http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=97112

I imagine more people would post meaningless ".gif" pictures, and meaningless videos, that would lag a site, which is not a model for always loading properly anyway, as there is a "BACKUP LG2".

Its not like people don't link to images and videos as it is. Often times with a detailed description of the image or video that they are linking. With the notable exception of KobeCamp2009, who creates threads for each/every youtube video that he uploads.

I am pro-eliminating the ".gif" profile pics, and con-embedded images/videos.
Watson
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject:

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but I use a mac(firefox), and on any website other than LG i can hold 'command' and click on a link, and it opens in a new tab, without affecting the current tab. But on LG (If I am in a forum, and command-click to a thread), both tabs navigate through the link, so then i have to wait for the current tab to load the new page, then hit the back button, and wait for it to reload the old page-OR remember that on LG only i need to hold down the control button, click and hold on the link, drag down to 'open in a new tab' (I never remember, because I always command-click on other websites) If anyone has a solution for this (other than dont use a mac/firefox) or if the site could be changed to support this i would really appreciate it...

As far as some of the other ideas:

embedded pics and vids: I don't think this should be added unless it is thumbnails or opt-in. could be embarrasing/distracting in work or family situations

gametime chat room >>>>>>>> game thread. i dont even look at the game threads... too slow. chat rooms are great because you can root/cheer and react in realtime, have conversations, jokes etc. would have to be well modded though. justin.tv chatrooms are good example (when they show games)

100 posts to start a thread: I don't really like this idea. Will most certainly lead to post padding. I think people will be more bothered by the rampant post padding than the occasional locked thread, and i think the mods will have more work to do if they want to cut out all the post-padding. Plus some people don't like to post unless they think they have something interesting to say- for example i have been on here 8+ years but only about 300 posts. Also occasionally there are real lakers insiders (agents/staff) that come on here rarely but post something really interesting that we'd all like to see... they probably wouldn't take the time to do any post padding if that was required.

also as far as politics, i think the complete lack of politics/religion etc is part of what makes lakersground so great... i just want to learn and read about the lakers and about basketball and forget about drama
Watson
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject:

what about some sort of rating system where members who are logged in can vote (once per member) on each post and each topic like stars on a scale from 1 to 5, then ability to collapse by rating. for example i might default my account to not display any posts rated < 1.5 stars when reading a thread (unless i click 'unhide'), or any topics rated < 2 stars when in a forum. for a really long thread with lots and lots of replies i might want to see the 'highlights' by only displaying posts rated >4 stars.
Watson
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject:

also rating system could be kind of a early-indicator for the mods of trolling, spam etc; might give more dimensions than the reporting system
mods could look at average ratings for posts by member
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject:

A number of Laker-related threads are moved to other forums because they determined to be off-topic for the lounge. I think the Laker Lounge should be more general to allow just about any Laker-related topic.

For example, why not talk about Lamar's wedding in Laker's Lounge? That's the first place I looked when I came here to read comments, but it is instead in the off-topic forum, which I rarely if ever go to unless I want to see the latest youtube video on singing cats or something.

I mean, Richard Jefferson's wedding woes were in the General Basketball forum, but Odom's wedding news is in off-topic because he's a Laker? That makes no sense.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9
Jump to: