Greetings from Sacramento
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LG Neighborhood Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carmichael dave
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Greetings from Sacramento

First time poster, longtime reader. I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.

I host a radio show up in Sacramento, and Ron Artest is one of my good friends, and a frequent guest.

As I did in Houston, I will make every effort to let you guys know when Ronald comes on so that you can listen on the radio stream. As if you didnt already know, Ron is one of the best (and weirdest) interviews in the business, and our visits are usually gold.

I was hoping some of you could help me out. I am trying to figure out the LA sports/talk radio scene, but its difficult to do that online. Since you guys are the ones that matter, I was looking for anyone who could give me a little breakdown of what's going on down there, such as:

Station, good/bad hosts, straight sports or more of a loose format, enjoyability, strengths/weaknesses, etc.

I would imagine there has been discussion of the local radio scene here before, so if this thread is repetitive, feel free to link me to whatever thread might answer some or all of those questions.

I know you guys have much better things to do, so thanks in advance for anyone who participates.

Let me add this: Ron Artest is going to be the greatest acquisition for any team of the offseason. He will frustrate at times, but this dude wants a ring so bad, he would grab pom poms and become a Laker Girl if he thought it would help (Seriously, I honestly believe Ron would do just this, its not an exaggeration).

As a lifelong Kings fan, I'd be lying if I said I was stoked that the Lakers just got stronger. However, I am happy for Ron, and I hope that he goes 78-4 with you guys (you can guess what 4 games I hope he loses)....

Thanks again, and you guys have an awesome forum here. I've seen them all, and this is probably the best out there.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject:

hello. Most people prefer 710 over 570 now. It focuses on Sports more than 570. John Ireland is my favorite host. He's a Bruin.
carmichael dave
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject:

are there any "quirky" stations down there? Sports, and/or talk? Ones that do any local (non syndicated) stuff? Meaning, a station that might primarily be sports, but sometimes will get into other stuff, on the lighter side, etc....
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject:

^570 is kinda like that. The PMS show in particular has a lot of pop culture stuff. They also talk about financial issues, dating issues, etc.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject:

I doubt a Kings fan would get a show in LA (unlike print media, where Laker hatred is a plus), and they won't let you herd your cattle on the roads down there...

Seriously, welcome to LG!
carmichael dave
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
I doubt a Kings fan would get a show in LA (unlike print media, where Laker hatred is a plus), and they won't let you herd your cattle on the roads down there...

\

Not cool at all.

I keep my cattle off the roads. Too dangerous, might spoil the meat.
revgen
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject:

carmichael dave wrote:
are there any "quirky" stations down there? Sports, and/or talk? Ones that do any local (non syndicated) stuff? Meaning, a station that might primarily be sports, but sometimes will get into other stuff, on the lighter side, etc....

^KLAA 830AM is a station that mixes sports with other subjects. It's the only station with a local sports morning show called The Sportslodge with Roger Lodge as the host.

Petros and Money (PMS) on 570am is another one. They talk sports but also give out dating advice via characterizations.
akola
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject:

LA sports radio talk on AM570 generally runs 12:00PM to 10:00PM
http://www.am570radio.com/main.html
12-4 Myers And Hartman (This is what I would consider bandwagon talk)
4-7 PMS Petros & Money (their show best describes what you are looking for sports & talk i.e. Lakers, general sports, dating, gossips, financial advice, current events, etc.)
7-10 Tony Bruno (Somewhat similar to the PMS show although he talks about general sports and current events his show is somewhat focused on L.A. listeners)

AM710 ESPN runs 11:00AM to 7:00PM (pretty much considered the Lakers radio flagship, covers the Lakers over 50% of the time is why the Lakers fans prefer this station)
11-3 LA Sports Live with Mychal Thompson and Andrew Siciliano
3-7 Mason & Ireland
PepsiShine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: `

appreciate the love from up north, we've had our battles but its good to have allies back in sac. im a former Marysville resident, yes yes it sucked up there, the rumors are true haha
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject:

carmichael dave wrote:
24 wrote:

\

Not cool at all.

LOL, just call it something different and sell it for more.
pd23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject:

carmichael dave wrote:

Im from Sacramento and this guy is legit. Ron really loves this guy and is always on the show. This is the guy that Ron mentions on his twitter. The only guy on 1140 I could listen to becaus Mike and Grant are big time Laker haters, they said the Lakers were not that good even after they won the championship. Grant said we won't win the title with Artest.

Whats up Dave!
Prophet8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Wellllllcome!! Since I live in good ol' downtown Sacramento, I would like to know what show do you host because I would like to listen. I am a transplant from LA, but am always up for interesting talk radio.
pd23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Prophet8 wrote:
Wellllllcome!! Since I live in good ol' downtown Sacramento, I would like to know what show do you host because I would like to listen. I am a transplant from LA, but am always up for interesting talk radio.
He does the 9pm to midnight on AM1140
pd23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Dave, tell Ron to sign up and start posting on this site.

Last edited by pd23 on Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Welcome to LG dave.
Prophet8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject:

AND not everyone from Sacramento is a Kings fan. I love the Lakers and grew up with show time!!!! I know plenty of people who are born and raised here that didnt know Sac had a NBA basketball team...... LOL quite funny actually. But during 2001-2002 there where more Kings fans then I had ever seen. Bandwagoners, haters, or just plain spoilers, the street where filled with basketball idiots. When Horry hit that shot.... forget it, I got into a fight at the local bar cuz kings fans do not take losing well.... but I thought they were immune to it... go figure.

(BTW, I knocked his A ( a t ) $ down just like Horry did with that three!!!!)
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject:

830 am is the station owned by the Angels Owner - Artie Moreno and they do both sports (morning + angel games) and talk radio.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject:

carmichael dave wrote:
24 wrote:

\

Not cool at all.

Just yanking your chain (which I'm sure has a bell on it)
carmichael dave
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
carmichael dave wrote:
24 wrote:

\

Not cool at all.

Just yanking your chain (which I'm sure has a bell on it)

your chain has a bell

good stuff. I appreciate the knowledge on the stations quite a bit. and believe me, I've tried to get Ron to post on forums for a while....dude is too busy chatting and video texting and giving out his cell number.
THE_DAGGER
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Carmichael Dave huh? I'm from the bay area, but, I have ties in Sacramento. I've listened to your show before.

You're lucky Ron is a loyal guy. I honestly thought the trade to Houston would spell the end of his appearances on your show. But, to his credit he continued to call in.

As for LA sports talk radio, some have already mentioned the Petros and Money Show on am 570. That's a show that would be right up your alley.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Greetings from Sacramento

carmichael dave wrote:

I host a radio show up in Sacramento, and Ron Artest is one of my good friends, and a frequent guest.

As I did in Houston, I will make every effort to let you guys know when Ronald comes on so that you can listen on the radio stream. As if you didnt already know, Ron is one of the best (and weirdest) interviews in the business, and our visits are usually gold.

I was hoping some of you could help me out. I am trying to figure out the LA sports/talk radio scene, but its difficult to do that online. Since you guys are the ones that matter, I was looking for anyone who could give me a little breakdown of what's going on down there, such as:

Station, good/bad hosts, straight sports or more of a loose format, enjoyability, strengths/weaknesses, etc.

I would imagine there has been discussion of the local radio scene here before, so if this thread is repetitive, feel free to link me to whatever thread might answer some or all of those questions.

I know you guys have much better things to do, so thanks in advance for anyone who participates.

Let me add this: Ron Artest is going to be the greatest acquisition for any team of the offseason. He will frustrate at times, but this dude wants a ring so bad, he would grab pom poms and become a Laker Girl if he thought it would help (Seriously, I honestly believe Ron would do just this, its not an exaggeration).

As a lifelong Kings fan, I'd be lying if I said I was stoked that the Lakers just got stronger. However, I am happy for Ron, and I hope that he goes 78-4 with you guys (you can guess what 4 games I hope he loses)....

Thanks again, and you guys have an awesome forum here. I've seen them all, and this is probably the best out there.

These are the two sports radio stations I listen to. I hope you can get the stream. What's the url of your station and what time are you on? I'd like to see if I can get the stream to listen to your show. Though he's not really a host my man is Vick The Brick. He's more or less a filler but I like his personality. I added KLAA I don't really know what it's about. Addicus mentioned it so I added it.
A painting of a rice cake can not satisfy the hunger of the Samurai Warrior

570 KLAC stream

710 ESPN stream

KLAA 830 stream

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject:

Any on LG want to listen to the station here's the stream. I've plugged it into my favorite places and I plan to listen to Carmichael Dave if I can stay awake that long tonight. 9pm to midnight.
KHTK stream

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject:

As others have pointed out, the 570 Petros and Money show would probably interest you. Lots of movie, music and pop culture references. Petros, of course, is a former USC Trojan football player. Matt Money Smith is a midwest kid who once did the sports report on the local alt rock KROQ radio station.
hig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject:

Hey Dave...heard your show a few times on KHTK. Quick question for ya...Is Grant really as big an a-hole as he seems??

Years ago, (during the first round series vs. Phoenix in 2001), I had the honor of being hung up on by Grant and Koz. I wear it as a badge of honor around here! (And I didn't even mention anything about the Lakers or being a Laker fan!)

LA native transplanted to midtown.

Oh BTW...welcome to LG, Dave!
Talby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Greetings from Sacramento

carmichael dave wrote:

hey welcome bro. i used to go to kingsfans.com forums just for kicks and they were pretty hillarious. i checked around the time where the lottery teams were being announced and the whole forum was apocolyptic about being 4th.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LG Neighborhood All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: