Favorite Boxed DVD Sets
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject:

Back to the Future is one of those series where the first one was a clever idea, and they should have stopped there.

Plus I can never get past the anachronism -- Why do they have to "hurry" to the future to do something about their kids? They have a freakin' time machine -- they can take their time, get dinner, make a plan, construct scale models -- and set the time machine to deliver them to the time of their choosing.

The mere availability of a time machine throws any notion of urgency out the window.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Back to the Future is one of those series where the first one was a clever idea, and they should have stopped there.

Plus I can never get past the anachronism -- Why do they have to "hurry" to the future to do something about their kids? They have a freakin' time machine -- they can take their time, get dinner, make a plan, construct scale models -- and set the time machine to deliver them to the time of their choosing.

The mere availability of a time machine throws any notion of urgency out the window.

there were always obstacles though weren't there? the Delorian ran on plutonium which isn't in abundance or readily available. in the 3rd one they had no way of getting it to go 88mph since they were in the old west. the machine depended on the performance of the car so it didn't always work.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

there were always obstacles though weren't there? the Delorian ran on plutonium which isn't in abundance or readily available. in the 3rd one they had no way of getting it to go 88mph since they were in the old west. the machine depended on the performance of the car so it didn't always work.

Good question. The plot was that "Marty's job in the future is to pose as his son to prevent him being thrown in prison. Unfortunately, things get worse when the future changes the present".

Why couldn't Marty and Jennifer make it a point to try to change their son's behavior when he is eventually born, without going into the future? Certainly they were aware of the problems of altering things by meddeling with affairs in time. They had just got back from the 50's.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
ocho wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

Good question. The plot was that "Marty's job in the future is to pose as his son to prevent him being thrown in prison. Unfortunately, things get worse when the future changes the present".

Why couldn't Marty and Jennifer make it a point to try to change their son's behavior when he is eventually born, without going into the future? Certainly they were aware of the problems of altering things by meddeling with affairs in time. They had just got back from the 50's.

are you talking about the 1st one or the 2nd one? in the 1st one Marty went to the past by accident while trying to escape from the Libyan terrorists. in the 2nd, he was met with a manic Doc Brown who said they had to go to the future to save his son.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
are you talking about the 1st one or the 2nd one? in the 1st one Marty went to the past by accident while trying to escape from the Libyan terrorists. in the 2nd, he was met with a manic Doc Brown who said they had to go to the future to save his son.

Wasn't it the very end of the first one, where he came & said, "Hurry! We've no time to lose!"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
ocho wrote:

Wasn't it the very end of the first one, where he came & said, "Hurry! We've no time to lose!"

i guess if you thought a family member was in danger it would give you a sense of urgency but yeah i get your point.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
ocho wrote:

Maybe Doc Brown did that sequence a hundred times and finally concluded that he had to get Marty and Jennifer out of 1985 and into the future at that precise moment because their actions beyond that moment in 1985 FUBAR their future lives enough that it becomes irreversible.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
ocho wrote:

Stop ruining our simple-minded fun by being so rational... Wait, I've been hearing that a lot on TV lately...
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
i guess if you thought a family member was in danger it would give you a sense of urgency but yeah i get your point.

Yeah, the whole concept of urgency is moot if you get to change time. As I said, the mere availability of a time machine throws any notion of urgency out the window.
TheBattleOfLosAngeles
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject:

although i have a decent sized collection the only Boxed DVD Sets i own are Star Wars and a Bruce Lee collection. I think I have a Noir set.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: