Breaking Pressure Defenses & Offensive Rebounding

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Breaking Pressure Defenses & Offensive Rebounding

I said that there would be no more of this. But when you wake up early on a Saturday morning, what do you do? There's only one possible answer: draw basketball diagrams! And it seems like people are enjoying reading these. I am here to help.

As the thread title says, this one covers two areas: breaking down pressure defenses and offensive rebounding within the Triangle.

I covered pressure defense in my long article on the entire offense, but here I go a bit more in depth, illustrate some more wrinkles, and have much longer explanations. Since the Cavs and Celtics don't play much zone, they will try to pressure from time to time. So executing these options will be crucial in the playoffs.

The second part is about offensive rebounding. It's the most underrated aspect of any offense. Even if you get good shots, it's not a guarantee that you'll make them, so you have to put players in a position to get rebounds. The Triangle does a good job of that.

Pressure Defense: http://www.sendspace.com/file/qbwzy3 (pdf, 12 pages, 11 diagrams)

Off Rebounding: http://www.sendspace.com/file/4r5q2h (pdf, 3 pages, 2 diagrams)

Enjoy.

Last edited by Wilt on Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bean Brian
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject:

You should work the lakers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
IPK
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:25 am    Post subject:

Can't thank you enough for sharing this Wilt. Still, for some reason, I feel odd calling you Wilt....
ecksor
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject:

Thanks!

Who is my avatar? Kharunisia
Alpha

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Wilty!
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully the LG blog situation will be resolved soon so I won't be posting threads with downloadable pdf's, but can instead just link to the blog with images and explanations.
DonMagicWand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Tex is that you?
thanks as always for the triangle help Wilt!

R.I.P.&G. Dr. Buss
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sia_kb8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Thx wilt
I find them very helpful and insightful.
TheLakerFeeling
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Hopefully the LG blog situation will be resolved soon so I won't be posting threads with downloadable pdf's, but can instead just link to the blog with images and explanations.

I like the pdf versions, but the blog would be great too. This is really great stuff. Thanks, Wilt!

--
GO LAKERS!!
tw-lakbfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject:

How can the Lakers with length advantage get beat on offensive rebounds?

Strength over length?
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Definitely informative, useful, fascinating and it's just great! In addition, to Emplay and DB - I look forward to your stuff!
Rigged4fun
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject:

Very informative Wilt, thank you. Rebounding cannot be diagrammed. It's an individual effort. I think Josh Powell is a perfect example of that. He fights for position using his size and energy. I don't believe he follows any particular diagram or pattern. Rebounding is a matter of desire. No patterned offense can predict or get a player into rebound position. The point here is the desire of a player such as Powell or Ariza who anticipate the rebound and fight for position. It's key for players who are on the off-side or weak side to be working and anticipating that rebound.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject:

Rigged4fun wrote:
Very informative Wilt, thank you. Rebounding cannot be diagrammed. It's an individual effort. I think Josh Powell is a perfect example of that. He fights for position using his size and energy. I don't believe he follows any particular diagram or pattern. Rebounding is a matter of desire. No patterned offense can predict or get a player into rebound position. The point here is the desire of a player such as Powell or Ariza who anticipate the rebound and fight for position. It's key for players who are on the off-side or weak side to be working and anticipating that rebound.

There's a reason the Orlando Magic are one of the worst offensive rebounding teams in the league, even with Dwight Howard on the roster. It's because their offense is based on three point shooting and their players have a tendency to stay on the perimeter, decreasing the chances for offensive rebounds. Same with the Spurs. So yes, an offense CAN put you in a position to rebound. The Lakers execute the same split on the weak-side on almost every play, giving someone like Ariza a chance to rebound. If he stayed on the perimeter, he wouldn't get it, no matter how strong his desire was. There's a clear pattern that can be established giving players a higher chance for a rebound. And the Triangle provides that with constant movement on the weak-side and cutting when the ball is in the post. It makes boxing out for the defense more difficult.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: