Triangle Offense vs Zone
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Triangle Offense vs Zone

Ready for more diagrams? I never really explained how the Triangle handles zone defenses. It does a perfectly good job against the zone with the usual options, but it can be even more effective with certain adjustments.

This time, there's only 5 diagrams instead of over 100, but with much longer explanations. What I did here was to predict the most common responses by the defense and the most common reactions by the offense, all within the Triangle. So enjoy it. I do recommend, however, that you go over my previous article if you want to understand this one fully.

LINK: http://www.sendspace.com/file/s5qa5p (PDF file, 6 pages, in color!)
n9c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Sick! Downloading now. Thanks again Wilt
slippy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Wilt -- I kinda wished you had your own blog. You may know more about Lakers basketball X-Os than every single other person on the Internet.
knhellesky
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Thanks
LakersBooster
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Peppy: "Keep up the good work"
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject:

sweet. a wilt. there was this college hoops game for the xbox 360. i think it was 2k . they had a practice mode. where you could practice any offense vs any defense. the other thing was you coul create plays. perhaps 3 sets deep. i think i sold it back. man, if someone could use that to do what you are doing. then put it on youtube or something. that would be beautiful. you would probably end up with a coaching gig. thats what would happen. because it had the defense properly moving with the ball like real life.

but one thing i noticed about the diagrams. is that it doesn't LOOK (maybe i'm all wrong). but it doesn't look like you made diagrams to truthfully simulate how they zone up the lakers. and how the LAKERS could use the tri to bust the zone up. it looks like more of a generic tri offense vs a generic zone defense.

for example. whatever zone they are running. its leaning toward where ever kb is standing with the ball.
Alpha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Wilt!
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Triangle Offense vs Zone

Wilt wrote:
Ready for more diagrams? I never really explained how the Triangle handles zone defenses. It does a perfectly good job against the zone with the usual options, but it can be even more effective with certain adjustments.

This time, there's only 5 diagrams instead of over 100, but with much longer explanations. What I did here was to predict the most common responses by the defense and the most common reactions by the offense, all within the Triangle. So enjoy it. I do recommend, however, that you go over my previous article if you want to understand this one fully.

LINK: http://www.sendspace.com/file/s5qa5p (PDF file, 6 pages, in color!)

I predict this thread will get Sticky'd up top!

Wilt, please tell me that you are a coach in some capacity because today's youth really need good coaches to teach fundamentals of running an offense.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
but one thing i noticed about the diagrams. is that it doesn't LOOK (maybe i'm all wrong). but it doesn't look like you made diagrams to truthfully simulate how they zone up the lakers. and how the LAKERS could use the tri to bust the zone up. it looks like more of a generic tri offense vs a generic zone defense.

As I said in the article, 2-3 is the most frequent zone, though some teams run a 3-2. Since the Triangle has a 2-3 type of alignment, even a 3-2 zone would eventually transform into a 2-3 zone within possessions because of shifts.

The diagrams show what the Lakers would typically do against a zone. Though it must be said that the recent performance against the Mavs was terrible, and it's no surprise that Phil told the media the next day that they were working on beating the zone during practice.

It's important to keep the ball moving, to throw the defense off balance, and to establish some kind of penetration, either through passes or dribbling. When you get inside a zone, it's done. It collapses and it effectively becomes a man-to-man defense at that point.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject:

That's so sWilt!
Great job!
ecksor
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Wow. Another great job. Thanks, Wilt!

Who is my avatar? Kharunisia
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Great Job!

Now I can understand more fully when Stu Lantz says that the Triangle is ideal to attacking any zone defenses.
Apricot
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject:

Awesome stuff!

I was inspired to put up your diagrams on a web site and post corresponding clips of the plays in games. I downloaded a few of this year's games, but I haven't quite had the time to do it properly...
sandruska
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject:

Really good job (It was very very hard to me say something nice to someone with that avatar, I think I grow up )
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Thanks again Wilt.
LakerJosh
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Great Job. I went through all of the other diagrams, it took me about 2 hours haha. How are you formulating all of this stuff? Just from watching games or do you have some sort of backstock of all the old Bulls/Lakers games somewhere.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject:

LakerJosh wrote:
Great Job. I went through all of the other diagrams, it took me about 2 hours haha. How are you formulating all of this stuff? Just from watching games or do you have some sort of backstock of all the old Bulls/Lakers games somewhere.

I analyzed games religiously during the three-peat days. I still have a large library of VHS tapes from that period. Buying books about the Triangle will never be enough to analyze the entire offense. Even Tex Winter's book is very limited and was written 40 years ago. Watching games and analyzing them in detail is what made me figure out every option in the system. I used to not have a life.
JJ81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:23 am    Post subject:

awesome
slippy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Buying books about the Triangle will never be enough to analyze the entire offense. Even Tex Winter's book is very limited and was written 40 years ago.

From LT, I also remember that you were extremely knowledgeable of the schemes used in the college game. Seriously. You're my hero.
vida24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Thanks bro.
Bballguru5000
Star Player
Star Player

Location: Born and Raised in Los Angeles, now living in Manhattan, NY.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject:

Great stuff, Wilt. Thanks.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Wilt for the thread Wilt..

I asked this in another thread and didn't get an answer... this looks like the thread to ask it however...

I use a dial up with an ancient computer (pentium II with only 96 ram and WIN98SE) and because downloads take forever I haven't taken a look at the PDF file... based on what I know of the TRI (unfortunately without the benefit of the link you have provided) it is my understanding that it was to a large extent designed to beat the zone....

My question is....

With this in mind that the Triangle was to a large extent designed to beat the zone and therefore should of course be an effective offensive system to do well against it....

Why do the Lakers do so POORLY against the ZONE with all of the players they have now that have had years of experience with it?

Thanks for any help about this... I've been at a loss regarding this for some time now...

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
LA20
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject:

wow just wow, I totally understand the pdf and they all make sense!!!
DEATH_PAULPIERCE
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject:

Thanks a lot Wilt, and PD: Go Real Madrid!!!
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Why do the Lakers do so POORLY against the ZONE with all of the players they have now that have had years of experience with it?

Not enough ball movement/player movement to exploit the gap, attack it, and get the resulting layup. Settling for 3 pointers.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: