Top 100 Singles of all time....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Top 100 Singles of all time....

Billboard

Quote:
The Billboard Hot 100 All-Time Top Songs

The definitive list of the Hot 100's top 100 songs from the chart's first 50 years, August 1958 through July 2008.

How were Billboard's 50th Anniversary Hot 100 song and artist charts determined? Read the FAQ.

Top 10:

10: "Un-break My Heart" - Toni Braxton
9: "We Belong Together" - Mariah Carey
8: "Hey Jude" - The Beatles
7: "You Light Up My Life: - Debby Boone
6: "Physical" - Olivia Newton-John
5: "Macarena" - Los Del Rio
4: "How Do I Live" - LeAnn Rimes
3: "Mack the Knife" - Bobby Darin
2: "Smooth" - Santana ft. Rob Thomas
1: "The Twist" - Chubby Checker

I am sure this won't generate any discussion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject:

The FAQ was too long, so I just posted a link to it above. Here is part of it:

Quote:
The 50th Anniversary Hot 100 Song and Artist charts are based on actual performance on the weekly Billboard Hot 100, since the chart's inception in August 1958 through the issue dated July 26, 2008. Songs are ranked based on an inverse point system, with weeks at No. 1 earning the greatest value and weeks at No. 100 earning the least.

Prior to the Hot 100's implementation in 1991 of enhanced radio and sales information from Nielsen BDS and Nielsen SoundScan, songs had shorter reigns at No. 1 and shorter chart lives.

To ensure equitable representation of the biggest hits from all 50 years, earlier time frames were each weighted to compensate for the differences in the faster turnover rates from those earlier decades, compared to the slower churn the Hot 100 has seen since the advent of Nielsen Music data.

Before that conversion, UB40's cover of "Red, Red Wine," which was on the chart for 40 weeks, and Chubby Checker's "The Twist," with 39 weeks, represented the longest chart stays ever by a No. 1 title. Since December 1991, 17 No. 1 titles have surpassed UB40's prior record, the longest being 60 weeks by Los Del Rio's "Macarena (Bayside Boys Mix)."

All-time Hot 100 recaps for Country, R&B/Hip-Hop, Rock, and Latin utilize the same methodology as described above, with designation of titles for each of those genre charts determined by Billboard chart managers, based on characteristics of those genres.

The Latin chart includes Brazilian repertoire. For artists with multi-format appeal (like Jennifer Lopez or Enrique Iglesias), tracks released since the October 1986 launch of Hot Latin Songs were only included if either Spanish or English versions of those songs received enough radio play to appear on that chart or one of Billboard's other Latin Airplay charts.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject:

Where's Boys II Men?

Quote:
According to no less an authority than the RIAA, Boyz II Men are the most commercially successful R&B group of all time. They've sold ludicrous numbers of records and been involved in three of the longest-running number one pop singles in history, and they've done it as a unit of equals.

Ironically, that's from the Boys II Men bio page from Billboard' website (LINK).

End of the Road = 13 Weeks at number 1

I'll Make Love to You = 14 Weeks at number ("On Bended Knee," actually replaced "I'll Make Love to You" at number one for a six-week run of its own; only Elvis and the Beatles had ever replaced themselves at number one.)

One Sweet Day (with Mariah Carey) = 16 Weeks at number 1

Last edited by TACH on Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
To ensure equitable representation of the biggest hits from all 50 years, earlier time frames were each weighted to compensate for the differences in the faster turnover rates from those earlier decades, compared to the slower churn the Hot 100 has seen since the advent of Nielsen Music data.

I don't understand the process of compensation. Either way, this is a prime example of how incredibly stupid America is as a whole. Aside from Hey Jude and Physical, I don't see any song on here that I would listen to.

I would include Toni Braxton, Mariah Carey and Olivia-Newton John in another list though...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: