Washington Behemoths Team Page

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> All-Time League Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker_Behemoth
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Washington Behemoths Team Page

Roster:
Round 1 - C Shaquille O'Neal 1999-00 - $25m
29.7p, 3.8a, 13.6r, .574 FG%, .000 3-PT%, .524 FT%, 0.5s, 3.0b
League MVP, Finals MVP, All NBA First Team, All Defensive Second Team, All Star Game MVP, League Scoring Leader

Round 3 - PG Lenny Wilkens 1971-72 - $16m
18.0p, 9.6a, 4.2r, .466 FG%, ?? 3-PT%, .774 FT%, ??s, ??b
League Total Assists Leader

Round 4 - F/C Buck Williams 1986-87 - $16m
18.0p, 1.6a, 12.5r, .557 FG%, .000 3-PT%, .731 FT%, 1.0s, 1.1b
Round 5 - G/F Glen Rice 1996-97 - $16m
26.8p, 2.0a, 4.0r, .477 FG%, .470 3-PT%, .867 FT%, 0.9s, 0.3b
All NBA Second Team, All Star Game MVP, League Leader in Three Point Percentage

Round 6 - PG Norm Van Lier 1973-74 - $14m
14.3p, 6.9a, 4.7r, .406 FG%, ?? 3-PT%, .778 FT%, 2.0s, 0.1b
All Defensive First Team, All NBA Second Team, All Star

Round 7 - G/F Michael Redd 2006-07 - $14m
26.7p, 2.3a, 3.7r, .465 FG%, .382 3-PT%, .829 FT%, 1.2s, 0.2b
Acquired in Trade - SG Dwyane Wade 2005-06 - $16m
27.2p, 6.7a, 5.7r, .495 FG%, .171 3-PT%, .783 FT%, 2.0s, 0.8b
Finals MVP, All NBA Second Team, All Star

Acquired in Trade - G/F Walter Davis 1977-78 - $16m
24.2p, 3.4a, 6.0r, .526 FG%, ?? 3-PT%, .830 FT%, 1.4s, 0.2b
NBA Rookie of the Year, All Rookie First Team, All NBA Second Team, All Star

Transactions:
Signed Unrestricted Free Agent F/C Rick Mahorn 1988-89 - $2m
7.3p, 0.8a, 6.9r, .517 FG%, .000 3-PT%, .748 FT%, 0.6s, 0.9b
Signed Unrestricted Free Agent F Toni Kukoc 1995-96 - $6m
13.1p, 3.5a, 4.0r, .490 FG%, .403 3-PT%, .772 FT%, 0.8s, 0.3b
NBA Sixth Man of the Year

Signed Unrestricted Free Agent F/C Ronny Turiaf 2007-08 - $1m
6.6p, 1.6a, 3.9r, .475 FG%, .000 3-PT%, .753 FT%, 0.4s, 1.4b
Signed Unrestricted Free Agent G/F Bryon Russell 1997-98- $1m
9.0p, 1.2a, 4.0r, .430 FG%, .341 3-PT%, .766 FT%, 1.1s, 0.4b
Traded SF Bernard King and G Paul Westphal for SG Dwyane Wade (2005-06) and F/G Walter Davis (1977-78)

Total Salary: $143m

Depth Chart:
C - Shaquille O'Neal, Rick Mahorn, Ronny Turiaf
PF - Buck Williams, Toni Kukoc
SF - Glen Rice, Walter Davis, Bryon Russell
SG - Dwyane Wade, Michael Redd
PG - Lenny Wilkens, Norm Van Lier

Championship here I come!
"After watching Bryant and Cooper go at it for about 10 minutes West stood up, nodded at two team public-relations men he'd brought with him, and snapped, 'That's it, let's get out of here, I've seen enough. He's better than anyone on our team.'"

Last edited by Laker_Behemoth on Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:21 am; edited 18 times in total
Soy
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Gonna need to find some bigs for the bench, but solid otherwise.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Laker_Behemoth
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Yeah I could definitely use a few bigs if something else doesn't go through.
"After watching Bryant and Cooper go at it for about 10 minutes West stood up, nodded at two team public-relations men he'd brought with him, and snapped, 'That's it, let's get out of here, I've seen enough. He's better than anyone on our team.'"
Laker_Behemoth
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject:

AP - The Washington Behemoths are pleased to announce the signing of forward-center Rick Mahorn, of "Bad Boy Pistons" fame. The Behemoths hope his mean streak and attitude will set the tone on the defensive end, as Mahorn throws his weight, and quite possibly his fists, around the low post. Mahorn's agent commented, "[Rick] loves the idea of playing beside Shaq."

When reached for comment, star center Shaquille O'Neal said he was "elated to play with a man of his caliber and his attitude." He went on to ask the reporter, "Tell me how my a** tastes."

Surely Mahorn will be an integral part of a team who before hand had possessed the thinnest front court in the entire league. His rebounding will be crucial off of the bench and his defensive presence will surely help the star wings, Glen Rice and Bernard King, who are not incredibly renowned for their defensive skills.
Laker_Behemoth
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject:

AP - The name of the game in the nation's capital today is "Versatility." The Behemoths announced the signing of free agent forward Toni Kukoc, a key member of the Chicago Bulls dynasty of the 1990s. Kukoc, signed for the full Mid Level Exception, roughly six million dollars, will be a crucial member of the Behemoths bench, which has swelled to one of the scariest second units in the league over the past few days.

Kukoc will see a majority of his minutes at the power forward and small forward positions, respectively. However, he will also play spot minutes as a shooting guard and also a center, using his passing ability to keep the Behemoths' system of ball movement flowing as well as his incredible shooting touch to space the floor for star center Shaquille O'Neal.

The 6'11" Kukoc also brings a winning attitude and the right mindset for a championship. Kukoc has shown a selfless attitude over the years, entering the league as a top flight starter and going to the bench in 1995 to make room for the return of Michael Jordan and the arrival of Dennis Rodman. As the sixth man, Kukoc was the most vital role player to that Bulls squad which set an NBA milestone with a 72-10 regular season record. For his play, Toni was rewarded with the NBA's Sixth Man of the Year Award.

Surely Kukoc will bring his winning experience, incredible shooting touch from range, and his stellar passing to help push the Behemoths even closer to the top of the ranks.
Laker_Behemoth
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject:

AP - Following today's earlier signing of forward Toni Kukoc, the Washington Behemoths have furthered the overhaul of their front court with the signing of energetic forward-center Ronny Turiaf, formerly of the Los Angeles Lakers. Turiaf, at 6'10" 249 lb., will use both his low center of gravity and his energetic style of play to help control the paint defensively.

Turiaf will provide good rebounding and excellent shot blocking, swatting shots at a rate of 1.4 blocks per game in less than 20 minutes of action. Turiaf has also shown the ability to play both the center spot and the power forward spot, which gives the team the versatility to include him in front court sets with any one of the team's other big men: Shaquille O'Neal, Buck Williams, Rick Mahorn, and Toni Kukoc.

Turiaf has also displayed a good midrange game, including the ability to knock down jump shots from 15' and outward as well as the ability to catch and dunk in the low post, which will be crucial with point guards Lenny Wilkens and Norm Van Lier and dynamic swingman Bernard King constantly driving the lane.

Turiaf brings the Behemoths one step closer to the end of their offseason, as they now only need one more signing for the minimum salary to fill out the roster. He also completes the team's bench, as the eleventh man in the rotation no less, and completes a transformation from an offensively biased roster to one of far greater balance.
TIME
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject:

Nice Vet Min signing with Turiaf.
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject:

Quote:
League Assist Leader

Not sure who the league leader in assists was that year, but it wasn't Lenny. Jerry West averaged 9.7apg that year.

All that aside, great team. I'm bummed you got Ronny as he was one of the players I was going to pursue once I made my FA signing.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
2Cleva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject:

According to this, he's right about Lenny

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/ast_yearly.html

Looking closer, West had more per game, but Lenny had more total assists.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Laker_Behemoth
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject:

Jeffs wrote:
Quote:
League Assist Leader

Not sure who the league leader in assists was that year, but it wasn't Lenny. Jerry West averaged 9.7apg that year.

All that aside, great team. I'm bummed you got Ronny as he was one of the players I was going to pursue once I made my FA signing.

You are right in terms of APG. But in terms of total assists it was Lenny. I will edit it though to clear up any confusion.

And thanks for both the correction and the compliment. I'm excited with how FA has gone so far for me.
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject:

Ah, my fault. Lenny led the league with the most assists in the 71-72 season. I was instead looking at assists per game.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
Laker_Behemoth
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject:

AP - The Washington Behemoths, barring the completion of any number of rumored trades, have completed the construction of their roster with the signing of free agent guard-forward Bryon Russell. Russell, made infamous in highlights after being callously pushed by Michael Jordan at the end of the 1998 NBA Finals, completes a roster which has surged to the summit of the league in recent days.

Russell, the 6'7" wing, will play minutes at both the small forward and shooting guard positions. Russell joins a cast of talented wings, including stars Bernard King, Glen Rice, and Michael Redd. However, Russell brings a talent that the previous three lack: hard nosed, skilled defense. The defensive presence of Russell, combined with his uncanny knack to knock down timely three pointers, will certainly earn him minutes on the stacked Behemoths roster.

The veteran minimum signing of Russell expands the Behemoths rotation to 12 players, including super stars, all pros, and talented role players. Russell's addition has gained only more acclaim for the front office of the team. One local fan commented, "Yeah, MJ pushed off for the championship in '98. We'll see what happens this year when his supposed Airness is getting knocked on his [buttocks] all game."
Laker_Behemoth
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject:

AP - At the deadline for free agency deals and for trades, the Washington Behemoths have swung a blockbuster deal to land super star shooting guard Dwyane Wade and the ultra talented swing man Walter Davis in exchange for forward Bernard King and guard Paul Westphal.

The deal is expected to provide the Behemoths with a far greater balance, as well as improved defense, improved passing, and better fits at both the shooting guard and small forward positions. The biggest obstacle to the deal was the Behemoths reluctance to trade away high scoring Bernard King, who had been the subject of many trade inquiries from a number of other teams around the league.

"We were especially reluctant to lose Bernard [King]. The man is one of the most prolific scorers of all time. But there were health concerns, come playoff time, and we thought that overall Dwyane [Wade] was a better fit in the line up. He allows Glen [Rice] to move to his natural position and D Wade can also play a bit of the 1, which gives us greater versatility. And come on? You saw him in the '06 Finals. He plays like a man possessed," commented the Behemoths general manager.

Walter "Greyhound" Davis will also bring an added level of offensive punch to the line up, with his great speed up and down the court, as well as his reputation as the greatest pure shooter in the history of the Phoenix Suns franchise. Davis, who will primarily back up star small forward Glen Rice, provides a dynamic offensive force with the ability to stretch the floor.

The deal also reunites center Shaquille O'Neal and guard Dwyane Wade, the duo which led the Miami Heat to an NBA Championship in the 2005-06 NBA Season. Wade was the MVP of that Finals series. The difference this time around is that it is an entirely different O'Neal.

"You know, that season I wasn't me. I wasn't in my prime. I mean, I was and always will be the most dominant ever, MDE. Even in a lesser season I was still the best center in the league and we won a championship. But this time it's 1999-2000 all over again," remarked O'Neal. "Ask anyone in the know: that's my prime. So now you got the Diesel in his prime with Flash in his, it's going to be a dominant combination."

"Overall what it comes down to is that we had a chance to improve. We love Bernard, and we love Paul. And it was tough to make this call. But what this trade does for us, is give us far greater balance," explained the Behemoths general manager.

"We can put players in the right position instead of asking guys to play out of place. And we gain versatility. And our defense is better with the superb help defense of D Wade. And our ball movement should be better as we acquired one of the best passing 2's in the league."

When pressed for comment, starting point guard Lenny Wilkens said, excitedly, "We just got D Wade, man. Do you know what that means for a guy like me? I'm like a kid in a candy shop, just can't wait to get him into camp and get this thing going. 'Ship or bust, baby."

Dwyane Wade and Walter Davis could not be reached for comment, as their schedules are assuredly busy on this day. But a source close to both players claims they are ecstatic.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> All-Time League All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: